Dialogue scenes

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Pubicface

Dialogue scenes

Post by Pubicface »

I have lots of scenes in my movie were not much happens besides the conversation. Any ideas on somethings I can do to make my conversations appear more interesting to watch?
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

First, follow the rules.
Some good stuff I got from my old filmmaking book.
@seanbagley
joe

Post by joe »

First, follow the rules.
Not necessarily. You shouldn't follow "the rules" just to be following the rules. If it fits your project, fine. But if everyone stuck to the rulebook, everyones film would be the same style. You have to invent your own style. Add actions, look for interesting angles. This is your job as a filmmaker, so it can't be dictated by anyone else. Just put some thought into it.
xramzflmrx

Post by xramzflmrx »

Maybe try to spice up your conversations with humor if you haven't already done that.
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

joe wrote:
First, follow the rules.
Not necessarily. You shouldn't follow "the rules" just to be following the rules. If it fits your project, fine. But if everyone stuck to the rulebook, everyones film would be the same style. You have to invent your own style. Add actions, look for interesting angles. This is your job as a filmmaker, so it can't be dictated by anyone else. Just put some thought into it.
True, but often enough when amatuer filmmakers try to invent their "own style" it's nothing but confusing and often ends up not very original.
@seanbagley
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Even so, finding your style is all about trial and error. Basically, do what you think looks good, and if it doesn't follow the rules, then f*** the rules.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

its not required that you follow the rules but you should know the rules because it will look better for your first few films if you can show that you can follow the simple rules of film making and once you know how to make a film following the rules you can make a style all your own that will not be totaly unwatchable because you understand the rules.
joe

Post by joe »

touche foxwood. good point. im saying after you can make something watchable, then develop style, and chuck the rulebook if need be.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

One thing I found really interesting was from the commentary of Liar Liar surprisingly. They were wondering how to make a conversation a bit less boring, and they found that by simply giving Jim Carey a drink cup to hold that it made it seem more like he was in the middle of something, and therefore made the scene more interesting

It's the simple touches :)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

To break the rules you must learn the rules first.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]