Are you a screenwriter or a director?

This forum is for the discussion of scripts and storyboards. Post your hints, tips or requests here.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

-----------------------------------
Does anyone have any old script or new script that i could film?
Looking for a short basicaly non-budget script? Anyone??
Please e-mail me at filmmaker906@yahoo.com :o
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Are you a screenwriter or a director?

Post by Clarence »

I think most people here, including me, are pretty much both. If you're making an amateur/no-budget film you mostly do screenwriting, filming, directing and editing by yourself. Personally, I'm not very good at directing...sometimes I just can't put what I want to see in a film into words and tell it to an actor.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

anyone
Caveman

Post by Caveman »

This is going to sound patronising but it's not so bear with me,

If you want to make a good film or even a 1/2 decent one, you've got to write your own stuff.

It's not hard to do and it's sooo much better if you know what you reeli want from a scene rather than reading someone elses and trying to guess.

cheers,
John
Jasonrocks

Post by Jasonrocks »

Both, but I rarly act in my films. Dispite people saying I'm a good actor (Not boasting) I cant stand seeing my slelf on screen so i just put my self in the back somewhere.
Visits? That would indicate visitors!
JJJSWIFT

Post by JJJSWIFT »

I do both...but I usually write an outline script and let the actors ad-lib or we come up with the dialogue just before the scene...because reading from a script with crappy actors (including myself) ends up sounding like ur reading directly from paper. I also don't act much in my movies (i have been in a couple school musicals however) I would much rather be behind the camera to make sure the shot is good. But i suggest u ask ur friends for some small ideas and then take off w/it urself...other people scripts arent going to have enough of u in them and u wont want to direct it. But i could be wrong.
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

At this stage I think we end up being a bit of both, I personaly write most of my flicks, I have worked with a few other people before to hammer out the plot, but I then end up writing the script and they then come back and polish the grammer and a bit of clunky diologe. I also direct, shoot and edit everything with some imput from the actors who are usualy the guys who helped me come up with the idea etc, but then being the editer alows me to playcate them on set by shooting the scean there way and my way, then cutting in my way. But in the end I know I'm a simi-desent writer, nothing great but getting better with each script to the point that you can see it plan as day, and I haven't gotten a good chance to work out my directing chops, but in the end I think I would consiter myself more an editer because that is where our movies end up getting made, and the part that I have the most fun with, exsept for sound.
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

Ya i have to agree with Caveman, but ya you should write your own stuff, cuz iv only done a few movies but theyre all original, and its jus a lot better wen u hav da idea in ur head, cuz u might not hav da same image of wat is going on as da person who wrote it, so i always recommend writing wat u direct, and directng wat u write, or at least stickin around to explain da stuff to da director.
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch