"Six Feet Frozen" full film online!

This forum is for announcing and discussing your films.

Moderator: Moderator Team

joe

"Six Feet Frozen" full film online!

Post by joe »

Hey all.

I actually did get the whole film uploaded finally. It's a little bit lower quality, but it kept the file size down. You can view it here -->
http://www.lemonus.com/sixfeetfrozenweb.wmv (Windows Media, 22.6 mb)

"Six Feet Frozen" is the story of a mentally challenged gravedigger searching for acceptance and love in his small Midwestern U.S. town.

Also, I decided to go ahead and make covers for the DVD. The DVD comes with special features such as directors/actors commentary, cast/crew bios, production notes, and animated menus. If you are interested in buying the DVD for only $5, you can purchase it through Paypal here -- http://www.lemonus.com/sffdvd.htm

I'm always glad to hear any feedback. Thanks for taking a look.

Joe
Lemonus
Last edited by joe on Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

I seemed to have had a glitch when I was at the 16:00 minute point in the film. When the guy in the leather jacket throws down the gravedigger. I also couldn't get any sound. not sure if it is my computer or the program.
From what I could see, this short is worth more than $5.00, but glad that it is all you are asking. You need to put this in a couple film festivals. This is grade A material. Like the flashes you have in some of your transitions, really added to the look and also the dolly shots, especially the one in the graveyard. How did you do you flashes?
joe

Post by joe »

Hey. Glad you liked what you saw. JW, did the film make it all the way through, or did it stop at the 16 min. mark? For the flashes, I used keyframed levels effect in Premiere. Hope viewing the film persuades some of you others to pick up the DVD as well.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

it stopped at 16 minutes. Tried to skip ahead, thought maybe a glitch at that spot, but it wouldn't let me proceed. I am planning on getting it, it's only $5.00. Just need more cash, got broke today. You should use the short to raise some funding to make it into a full fledge film. It's a good concept, good acting (i'd use the same actors), good directing.
joe

Post by joe »

Thanks for the comments. The link may be down til tomorrow or so now, but I'll try and reload the whole thing. Glad you liked it.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

It still stops at 16:39. Can'y get passed that point. But atleast this time I got to seen the first 16 minutes with sound. Still very interested in the movie.
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by BrownCowStudios »

The movie was great from what I saw. But, like others, it stopped at around the sixteen minute mark.
Erm... yeah...
joe

Post by joe »

Alright guys, the file must not have gotten fully uploaded. It's just been really tough staying on long enough (im on dialup) to get the whole thing. I'll let you all know when the link is fixed. Cheers.

Joe
Meade87

Post by Meade87 »

The film stops at 16:35 but it says 36:16 and I didn't feel like reading everyone else posts. lol. The film looks good. But the actors need to work some. They aren't exactly in the moment, and I really didn't get why you went so folky but thats your artisitic choice. Maybe I'd understand more if I saw the whole thing.
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

yet to download the film as yet, will do shortly. Just thought I would ask if you were interested in selling your DVD on a new entertainment store I am in the progress of starting up.

http://www.jassinc.com/entertainmentstore/

If you are interested email me at admin@jassinc.com

A lot of the links are down at the moment as i am still working on the site, but you can get the gist of what it will be like.
joe

Post by joe »

The film stops at 16:35 but it says 36:16 and I didn't feel like reading everyone else posts. lol. The film looks good. But the actors need to work some. They aren't exactly in the moment, and I really didn't get why you went so folky but thats your artisitic choice. Maybe I'd understand more if I saw the whole thing.
Yeah, you guys might as well not download it yet because the full film didn't get uploaded all the way. I'll let you know when it is up again.

For the actors, I was actually very pleased with them. Any specific instances where you felt they needed more?

Also, the film is so "folky" because of it's setting. I felt the mood should match the time, place, etc. It is set in a small town in the Midwest U.S. When most people think of this region, they think hick, redneck, etc. - Which definitely isn't the case most of the time until you get more southern, but it's an implied reaction that I felt I should meet.

Thanks for the comments.

Joe
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

MY GOD......that is quite possibly the best movie I have ever seen not made by hollywood. $5 for the DVD, you got to be crazy, make it $9.95 and people will still buy it.

Dude you got a great movie on your hands. I loved it from beginning to sort of end.

AWESOME WORK............... I can't say enough.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
joe

Post by joe »

If you didn't see up top, the full movie is online now. You can download it here --> http://www.lemonus.com/sixfeetfrozenweb.wmv (WMV, 22.6 mb)

Refer to the first post for information about purchasing the DVD. Thanks.

Joe
Lemonus
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Great movie... but it would have been better if the surroundings looked older
joe

Post by joe »

Great movie... but it would have been better if the surroundings looked older
The film is set in present day.

About your comment though, much of the story takes place in that graveyard, which is close to 200 years old, and the little town it takes place in is straight out of the 1950's already. Glad you liked it though.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

I just finished seeing the whole film. Of all the films I have seen on this site, yours is in the top 5. But, I see some potential for growth. This shouldn't be a short, it needs to be atleast 90 minutes to 120 minutes. You have left so holes that need to be fillled, and some action that can also be added to add to the tension of the film. First, the scene with Buddy looking for the cat, this needs to be in the middle act, not the end. so that when Grace gives Buddy a kiss on the cheek, we can have the jerk see it from across the street, add to the tension. We also need to see some more of the relationship as friends blooming after the incident with the jerk at the cemetary. I wouldn't kill the jerk in the cemetary. Doesn't feel right because the rest of the story goes on without him. I think it would be better if the old guy wakes him in the face, cuts to black. Then the guy wakes up finding himself dumped in the forest of something weird like that. Or putting him in a situation where he is uncomfortable and needs someones help but no one is there. Something like that. Just bumping him off, and then not showing the towns reaction feels wrong. I think you should keep him alive, either that, or you have to show buddy and the girl helping the old man getting rid of the body. If you don't show their morale reasoning for letting the old guy dispoase of the body without feeling guilty, you leave the audience feeling let down. That situation needs to be dealt with. The best way is to not kill the guy. Because then the bad guy gets to much attention. Hurt him but don't kill him. And put the cat searching scene in the middle to build tension. And show a scene of Buddy's brother going to rob the bank, don't tell it. It will give more for the audience to get attached to the charecter of buddy, and also I was always told the film is a story in pictures, not words. Show, don't tell. I like the narration, but some of it can be replaced with actual scenes.
Last thing, it says that the world is cold to Buddy, but we only see one guy who is a jerk to him. You need to show throughout act 2 different groups of guys picking on him. They can be nameless people, but more. I would show him at the store buying stuff and the store employes treat him stupid, or show him walking around town and people saying things to him. Space out a bunch of scenes of it dispersed throughout with him and Grace meeting. Show the first time they meet, even if its a flash back, show how she is different in the way she introduces herself.
You can really go even farther with this story. You could keep all the original shots, music, etc. But go back to the script, rearrange things, and add some of the stuff that I have suggested. If you have to, get some more money. It shouldn't take much to add another 60-70 minutes but if those questions are answered, and there are some scenes that help develop the relationship between Grace and Buddy more, it would enhance it alot, and personally, you could sell it for $12-$15 easilly. Just build more.
Music, when Buddy is at the grave of Grace, we need to see him cry, and you need to add some violin so we can feel the pain and lonliness.
Why is it we never see the widow? Why is it we don't see the mayor, these are some quesitons that if they are answered it would add alot.

I only give you these info cause I think you have something good going on, just want to see you go farther.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

I just finished seeing the whole film. Of all the films I have seen on this site, yours is in the top 5. But, I see some potential for growth. This shouldn't be a short, it needs to be atleast 90 minutes to 120 minutes. You have left so holes that need to be fillled, and some action that can also be added to add to the tension of the film. First, the scene with Buddy looking for the cat, this needs to be in the middle act, not the end. so that when Grace gives Buddy a kiss on the cheek, we can have the jerk see it from across the street, add to the tension. We also need to see some more of the relationship as friends blooming after the incident with the jerk at the cemetary. I wouldn't kill the jerk in the cemetary. Doesn't feel right because the rest of the story goes on without him. I think it would be better if the old guy wakes him in the face, cuts to black. Then the guy wakes up finding himself dumped in the forest of something weird like that. Or putting him in a situation where he is uncomfortable and needs someones help but no one is there. Something like that. Just bumping him off, and then not showing the towns reaction feels wrong. I think you should keep him alive, either that, or you have to show buddy and the girl helping the old man getting rid of the body. If you don't show their morale reasoning for letting the old guy dispoase of the body without feeling guilty, you leave the audience feeling let down. That situation needs to be dealt with. The best way is to not kill the guy. Because then the bad guy gets to much attention. Hurt him but don't kill him. And put the cat searching scene in the middle to build tension. And show a scene of Buddy's brother going to rob the bank, don't tell it. It will give more for the audience to get attached to the charecter of buddy, and also I was always told the film is a story in pictures, not words. Show, don't tell. I like the narration, but some of it can be replaced with actual scenes.
Last thing, it says that the world is cold to Buddy, but we only see one guy who is a jerk to him. You need to show throughout act 2 different groups of guys picking on him. They can be nameless people, but more. I would show him at the store buying stuff and the store employes treat him stupid, or show him walking around town and people saying things to him. Space out a bunch of scenes of it dispersed throughout with him and Grace meeting. Show the first time they meet, even if its a flash back, show how she is different in the way she introduces herself.
You can really go even farther with this story. You could keep all the original shots, music, etc. But go back to the script, rearrange things, and add some of the stuff that I have suggested. If you have to, get some more money. It shouldn't take much to add another 60-70 minutes but if those questions are answered, and there are some scenes that help develop the relationship between Grace and Buddy more, it would enhance it alot, and personally, you could sell it for $12-$15 easilly. Just build more.
Music, when Buddy is at the grave of Grace, we need to see him cry, and you need to add some violin so we can feel the pain and lonliness.
Why is it we never see the widow? Why is it we don't see the mayor, these are some quesitons that if they are answered it would add alot.

I only give you these info cause I think you have something good going on, just want to see you go farther.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

actually it hit me that you could kill the jerk, but it has to be played out differently. I would have the jerk have a couple of friends, people who have picked on Buddy the whole film. And they help the jerk beat the cr** out of Buddy till he is at the point where he is almost dead. Buddy tries to fight back a couple times, but is totally worthless attempt.. then the old guy comes out with the shovel just like the film and nails the guy. Then the audience could live with the idea of self defense.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

oops didnt know that joe, sorry... but what do I know, I'm just a newbie lol
Spike_P_2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Spike_P_2 »

I like it Joe, just like your frop film, i really liked that one. Kinda morbid when i think about it. You r film here reminds me of Forest Gump in a way. There were a few moments where i expected you to say "Life is like a box of chocolates"
"Peopel shouldn't fear their Governments, Governments should fear their People."
-"V" for Vendetta
joe

Post by joe »

Personally, I don't think there is enough content here to extend into a feature. If I kept the original story/events, and turned it into a feature, it would be much too weak to support itself.

If you break it down, Buddy is looking for the cat in the second act. The first act is all exposition, setting up the characters. The second act begins when Grace loses her cat, and contains the bulk of the action. It ends with Buddy being happy in the cemetery at dusk. The scene after that begins the third act with the falling action.

Since this was a short, Jack was meant to be killed off early. His only objective is to be the cliche town jerk/bully. He completes his part and is swept away. I didn't want to pull focus from the rest of the characters to try and follow him when he really had no purpose left to fulfill.

The idea of Jack seeing Grace kiss Buddy to build tension wouldn't really build it any more to me. That already occurs when he sees them hugging in the cemetery. To do this again would be repetative.

About showing Buddy's brother rob a bank, again since it was short, I didn't want to jam too many different lines of action down people's throats. Also, I think by not showing his brother in real life, it already has a head start on making Buddy lonely. In just showing the picture, it reveals that his past was not always this way, but we never actually see him being happy, so it keeps his character contained in his lonely shell the entire movie until Grace finally breaks it. I believe film is one of the most expressive forms of art because you can tell a story with both pictures and sound. To restrict yourself to either one just to retain the processes of conventional cinema is putting yourself in a box.

If this were a feature, it would be a good idea to show him getting picked on by more people, but for the length now, I feel it's better to just have one concentrated source, which is Jack.

I definitely thank you for your time and thought in your comments. And the ideas seem to be more suited for a feature, which you were talking about. But, I feel it is best kept as a short.

Oh, and Spike - I'm not actually in this film. You only see me for a few seconds. (I'm the brother in the picture)

Thanks again for your comments guys.

Joe
Lemonus
Hitman23

Post by Hitman23 »

I liked this movie alot it is one of the best if not the best that I have seen here. One of the best all around jobs from story to final edit I can't say enough good things so keep up the good work.
Hitman23
www.novaproductionsonline.com
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

again this is a very good movie
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

What a superb movie! The found the acting to be quite good, at moments the person playing Buddy made me believe he was mentally challanged. I did see a slight mistake around 24:31 where a quick flash shows a clip already seen during the fadeout. I must say, great job Joe I think you should enter this into film festivals. I also really liked how you managed to pull of good music with just one simple acoustic guitar. Grade: A
joe

Post by joe »

I did see a slight mistake around 24:31 where a quick flash shows a clip already seen during the fadeout.
I'm a little unclear about what you're saying here, but I think you mean that shot of the sun was seen somewhere else in the film? If so, there were similar shots, but they weren't the same. Which I wouldn't really have much of a problem with if it were, seeing as that's an advantage of shooting on video. If I'm interepreting your comment wrong, do explain what you mean.

Yes, the music was very expressive, especially for a single acoustic guitar. All of that credit goes to the composer, Arnold Kyaw. He is only 19 years old and an amazing guitarist. A side note about the music that just lends to Arnold's talent is that it was all recorded sitting in my room over a period of 2-3 hours. I just told him the mood and he blew it away. Amazing.

Glad you liked the movie.