Creating the 'rain effect'

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Creating the 'rain effect'

Post by pdj »

…came across this website http://www.feedbackvideo.com/rainfx.htm its FX rain. You might have a scene that you’re not happy with its rain visibility-this stuff helps to touch it up or just add the effect of rain!

It costs money for the full files but, if you download the free version by clicking on the pics, you get a small mpeg. Loop it and apply to your footage as an overlay. I have tried and it worked fine
redkorn

RE: Creating the

Post by redkorn »

nice though it seem you have to pay for them, you can make those effects in photoshop and image ready
http://www.wnv2.com/?wn=tutview&type=photoshop&tutid=6
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Haha.. stock footage rain.. althougth it sounds like a quick easy way out, it's deffintly NOT one I suggest you do if your serious about a production. Then again, it is up to you.
Sigs suck a**.
the_funky_monkey

Post by the_funky_monkey »

detonation films has also made weather stock footage

http://www.detonationfilms.com/free_stuff_page_3.htm
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

Right, I3lade, stock footage rain looks like. . .well. . .stock footage pasted over non-raining footage. Although what pdj said about using it to enhance a scene that already has physical rain would work.

Not sure how well that Photoshop technique would transfer to video, redkorn, although I did go and photoshop up a test of it and it turned out pretty well on a still image after I did a good bit of adaptation on the tutorial.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

Actually, if you download the "medium seen from below" stuff it would work great for a spaceship seen with the stars flying by the ship.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

OutcastJiob wrote:...Although what pdj said about using it to enhance a scene that already has physical rain would work.

Glad you got the point buddy
crb wrote:...it would work great for a spaceship seen with the stars flying by the ship.

Thats creative!

Some people shouldn’t be so quick to type because they usually miss the point. Ha ha ignorance is a sickness.
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

haha stock rain over a shot reminds me of disney movies... for the rain to look good you will need to have some kind of camera move or even matchmove your shot and add the rain after... a particle system in a 3d program can do this real easy...
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

I think enhancing wouldn't be bad, but I wouldn't loop that stuff, I think it would add to the fake look. Either get a long shot of it for the entire clip or scene, or don't do it. Looped rain would just look dumb.
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

honestly i love that footage, it reminds me alot of sin city...and will help give my movies a very extreme stylized look......
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

I remember when we used a sprinkler to create rain in one of our first movies in the middle of summer LOL. Didnt look to bad.
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by pdj »

crb wrote:I think enhancing wouldn't be bad, but I wouldn't loop that stuff, I think it would add to the fake look. Either get a long shot of it for the entire clip or scene, or don't do it. Looped rain would just look dumb.
True that looping ONE clip would look fake..what i did was download all the short free clips, slowed them down,changed their directions,flipped them etc. I then jumbled them up and placed them on the timeline swaping their order every time and overlapping the ends of them. The end result looked pretty good.

Be creative! THATS THE POINT!!
Spike_P_2
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Spike_P_2 »

Id rather use a power tip hose thingy. You know it looks like the nozel on the old style fire hoses on the old fire engines, and now they make them for garden hoses. I have 3 of them, i did something similar and i had the spray aimed upward. it came down in a big enough area to look like rain. But the only thing is you either need proper weather outside or do it at about sunset or sun rise.
"Peopel shouldn't fear their Governments, Governments should fear their People."
-"V" for Vendetta
PapaMurf

Post by PapaMurf »

I thought you meant matrix rain for a sec :P
Proud Founder of Naked Time Inc. A division of Strawberry Productions