Making Clips Look Like Television in Final Cut Pro

Video editing, format conversion, video file manipulation.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

MikeMoring

Making Clips Look Like Television in Final Cut Pro

Post by MikeMoring »

Forgive me if this has been covered any where else in the forum -- and please direct me to the appropriate thread if it has indeed been covered -- but I'm looking for a way to make clips look like television clips in Final Cut Pro (using a variety of filters or anything like that).

To be more specific, I've shot a bunch of footage for a forthcoming short film that is intended to be shown in the context of the movie as though it is News footage. To make the news stuff stand out as stuff that is obviously being viewed on a television screen, I'm looking to adjust it so it has a very obvious television-y appearance (static-y image, etc.). Please help me find whatever number of appropriate filters I should implement for the desired effect.

Also: Does anybody know how to crop/zoom a clip in Final Cut Pro while still being able to maintain a certain widescreen matte? I've figured out how to crop my enlarge/crop my clips... but for some reason I can't seem to apply the widescreen matte on top of the adjusted clip -- it seems that the widescreen matte is always edited with the clip (it's as if it can't be laid over-top of whatever 'Motion tab' adjustments have been made).

Thank you for any help.
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Making Clips Look Like Television in Final Cut Pro

Post by Clarence »

There's a free plugin for Final Cut called "Pay TV," or something like that, that lets you adjust the amount of degradation of your image. It looks great if you get it right. But I can't remember the link for the plugin...sorry :(. I'll let you know if I find it.

Are you applying your widescreen matte as a seperate layer from the clip?
pete1234

Post by pete1234 »

The easiest way to do sthis is to put it on a tv and film it... that way you can include a video of your footage actualy shown on a TV....
MikeMoring

Re: RE: Making Clips Look Like Television in Final Cut Pro

Post by MikeMoring »

Clarence wrote:Are you applying your widescreen matte as a seperate layer from the clip?
Thanks for the help -- I'll search around for the plugin.

As for your question, I'm not really sure... how do I make sure that I'm applying it as a different layer?
pete1234

RE: Re: RE: Making Clips Look Like Television in Final Cut P

Post by pete1234 »

You dont want to apply it as a differnt layer. Anyway, most filters you cant apply as a differnt layer. Check there are no free tracks in the time line, double click on the clip to load it into the viewer. Choose your filter and either drag it onto the clip or onto the viewer. It will then show up in the filters tab. Check first you havnt accidentaly applied the filter to another ciip by double clicking them (to load into the viewr) clicking the filters tab and checking there are none there. If there are anyfilters, click the left bar so it goes dark grey and press delete
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: RE: Making Clips Look Like Television in Final Cut P

Post by Clarence »

I think his problem is that the matte IS applied to the clip, so that it is edited with the clip...and I don't think that's what he wants. So you need to find a way to lay the matte 'over' the clip instead of apply it to it, right?
MikeMoring

Re: RE: Re: RE: Making Clips Look Like Television in Final C

Post by MikeMoring »

Clarence wrote:I think his problem is that the matte IS applied to the clip, so that it is edited with the clip...and I don't think that's what he wants. So you need to find a way to lay the matte 'over' the clip instead of apply it to it, right?
Yeah, that's definitely the problem.