HDV

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Ornsack

HDV

Post by Ornsack »

Is it worth it?

Everything I've seen of it makes it look like normal DV. Is it just people not using it properly?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
pdj
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: HDV

Post by pdj »

I believe that's a strong case for it..Watching my hdv footage on an ordinary tv looks shat so that plays a part in it. Even though Ive had the bad boy for 6 months the colors still blow me away :) make the jump!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: HDV

Post by Epsilon »

If you have money to burn, why not?
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Look you lazy gimp Ornsack, just check some articles about it lol like wikipedia for a start.

HDV is the consumer High Def replacement for standard definition cameras, with some semi-professional cameras using it such as the Sony Z1, the Canon H1 etc etc

The point of HDV is definatley not the colours (it is the most compressed HD format you can get) the point is its affordabaility in comparison to HD DVC Pro and HDCam, which unless ur loaded is not within any micro budget filmmakers budget.

HDV can give you really high resolutions (all the way up to 1900 x 1200 appx) depending on the camera and codec etc.

However, PAL is limited in resolution to what it can show (PAL being TV's) and so whatever its shot on it will not show in full pixals - tho it can be if shown on a decent computer monitor.

So depending on what its been shot at (resolution wise) a difference is noticeable. I suggest Ornsack you check Canon H1 footage or the JVC HD101 footage (at HDV 720p)
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Har har! I've read the Wikipedia article many times and it all sounds impressive... but when I've actually seen footage shot on HDV it doesn't look as amazing as I'd originally hoped.

Was just wondering if it was worth buying one or just stick with a decent standard def camera...?
DAZMAN
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DAZMAN »

I have just spent over 6000 GBP on a rig similar to this

http://www.bassonsteady.com.ar/imagenes ... wdiego.gif

Its a differnt harness as its made by Glidecam but the body armor is the same. This camera is amazin and the fottage is fantastic and realy comes into its own with a 16mm transfer. Im waiting on the mini 35 in the post. Im going to rent the PL lenses though
www.x-21.tk
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well most folks use prime lenses from Nikon etc, and they arent that expensive? So why not get em' Dazman lol?

Anyyyyyyyway,

Ornsack, its simple enuf, you just need to find an impressive example of HDV - just like with s16mm it will look s*** too if u dont find a great example.

Try the film Twist of Fate, that was shot on 720p HDV.

It sounds to me like ur wanting an excuse to stay with SD hehe ;) So just do if all ur making are those sketches ;) Otherwise u could splash out on a Sony FX1 or Z1 etc.
DAZMAN
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DAZMAN »

Because typicaly nikon prime lenses are for SLR's where as I can use Prime lenses straight off of an Arri 35mm
www.x-21.tk
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Ah well thats fortunate anyway but sheesh what a poseur you are Dazman hehe ;) What camera is it ur using anyway matie thats getting all this special treatment and BY GOD for what project!

All this bother it sounds like something u'd do for some serious HD Cam project - don't tell me ur doing this all for some HDV camera are ya!
aaronv2
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by aaronv2 »

I have an HDV camera... Its essentially the same quality as DV at a HD resolution. The thing is you cant expect the very best out of consumer machines like this. The art lies in the grading editing and shooting not how good the colors come out you can fix that later.

Basically all im sayin is its a small jump to a new format. Like CD to DVD. And also you need a HD widescreen TV to really notice the difference.
Muzzle Flashes, Bullet Time, Lightsabers, Buffy Vampire Effects, War Films.... Ahhhhh!
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/aaronv2/bashed.gif[/img]
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yeah id say that pretty much defines it aaron - even HDV cameras like the Sony Z1 and Canon H1 are considered 'consumer' (crazy tho it may seem in regards to the canon) by the bbc which will have a limit (apparently) of 25% of programme content on standard def and HDV.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Lawriejaffa wrote:Ornsack, its simple enuf, you just need to find an impressive example of HDV - just like with s16mm it will look s*** too if u dont find a great example.

Try the film Twist of Fate, that was shot on 720p HDV.

It sounds to me like ur wanting an excuse to stay with SD hehe ;) So just do if all ur making are those sketches ;)
That's true I guess!

I watched (well, quickly flicked through) Twist of Fate and while it wasn't shot amazingly well, it did look rather glossy compared to standard DV.

And no I'm bored of the way standard DV looks! I've graded everything I've done to death and now I need a new look!

I'll try and track down a couple more HDV movies and see if I wanna make the jump then. Thanks for the info anyhoo!
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Okay doke coolio tho ive got to say that really i mean for the stuff u do Ornsack why are u thinking of making such a leap anyway? Have you got a mind to try more ambitious stuff than the sketches etc? cos that kind of stuff is ideal for hdv and or dv surely?
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Well I think we'd rather do films but we usually only do sketches because our attention span is terrible, and nobody really wants to sit down and watch a half hour home movie!

But I think having a better quality camera would benefit us when we do stuff like The Salesman again
vampiricyouth

Post by vampiricyouth »

It really wont make much of a difference unless you watch it on an HDTV, and you'll also have to invest in ConnectHD for your NLE if you plan on editing online in full-res
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

vampiricyouth wrote:It really wont make much of a difference unless you watch it on an HDTV
I'm after sharpness and definition really. After all, a 35mm print on a standard DV has a lot more detail than something shot on a video camera.

Saying that, we've got a massive HDTV in our house and haven't been able to show anything HD on it yet :(
vampiricyouth

Post by vampiricyouth »

Get a PS3 :P
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

HDV Quality is fantastic, I can vouch for it, although I dont use it personally, It all depends on how you use it though, Like any footage, Mistreat it and you wont be using its full potential.
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'
traaxx

Post by traaxx »

I have to say, i recently shot on HDV using the Sony Z1P and althought ulitmately in the end your reduced to bringing the quality back to DV (as what's the point in exporting to HDV when most tv's can't play it yet) i think it still retains a bit of it's edge, some of it's colours. A friend of the writer of the script i directed who is an experienced film maker also made the comment 'Did you shoot that on film?' Also like someone else said, i think you have to be careful in post, don't colour grade it too much, use a max of two filters, just enough to give your shot the look you need.