Hero's Journey: everyone's doing it

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

kalbashir

Hero's Journey: everyone's doing it

Post by kalbashir »

People say that if there was only one story - a universal template - everyone would be using it. Well they are.

And we're not talking 4 acts, plot points etc.

I mean that ALL succcessful screenplays use a very detailed version of the Hero's Journey that is based on Transformation.

You need to check out the research at:

http://www.clickok.co.uk/index4.html
Grant

RE: Hero

Post by Grant »

Yep I teach about this in video game design at UB. Relates well in theory to Star Wars etc. Research back to Joseph Campbell and then to Christopher Vogler if you have the time.
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

Nice find, i've read a lot on characters etc but so far no one has gone into the much detail about the hero's journey. Its a very interesting concept and is one that all writers really need to at least be aware of.
Grant

Post by Grant »

The journey also ties in with character archetypes. This is where the theory and relfection gets fun
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

I just got a book called "The writer's Journey" by Christopher Vogler, it's basically charting the hero's journey, seemes pretty good so far but i've only just finished the preface to the second ed. I've heard very good things about Vogler's work (he profiles movies for hollywood) and decided to have a look.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Vogler's is a cut down version of Campbell's
vampiricyouth

Post by vampiricyouth »

Well of course. All good drama is based on an emotional arc...The protagonist's journey from their starting point contiuosly develops as they mature emotionally through the story.

And a story is made up of three acts.
Meade87

Re: RE: Hero

Post by Meade87 »

vampiricyouth wrote:Well of course. All good drama is based on an emotional arc...The protagonist's journey from their starting point contiuosly develops as they mature emotionally through the story.

And a story is made up of three acts.
Correct three or four acts is the standard and does not necessarily have to be that way. I believe Indiana Jones consists of 6 acts if I correctly remember.

But of course everything follow the Hero's Journey when ou create something very broad and vague many things are going to fall under it, and for a story to be successfuly is needs character change: The 3 P's of Drama (and every other story) Purpose, Passion, and Perception. The character (Protagonist) needs Purpose, Passion, and needs to come to a perception which is commonly there character change. In other words The Hero's Journey.
-Rob(NYC)
[url]http://www.geocities.com/rmactor[/url]
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Re: RE: Hero

Post by chrisgreen »

Vogler's idol is campbell, sometimes i wonder whether it would hvae been better to just get cambell's book. Although Vogler's writing style it quite simpistic and easy to read - which is a nice break from people like Leon Hunt and other media academics - so i'll stick to it, there is some good stuff in there too.

Basically everone is aware of the hero's journey whether they know it as the journey ot under the three P's or some other way. I think the point which Vogler (and campbell) is getting at is that they all stem from the hero's journey which can be tracked back through history.