cheap blue screen

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

coreyjordan

cheap blue screen

Post by coreyjordan »

Hi everyone, I just thought that I would let you know that I have tried a blue screen out of Blue Tarpaulin and it worked pretty well. You can buy this from any camping shop or of eBay for a few pounds. It comes in all sizes fom small to big sheets. As anyone else tried this and what kind of results did you get?

Coreyjordan
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

can you show us an example? i ddnt think a blue tarp would work....it would reflect the light too much....
coreyjordan

Post by coreyjordan »

I have only done a few seconds of film with my kid stood in front of it, just to try it out. I will try it again later and for longer next time. It was an old one that I cover thing up with in the garden, it also as a few holes in it. But for a couple of pounds it worth a try.
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

I just went to walmart and bought 20ft of green cloth material then made a wooden frame and then I just stapled the cloth to it.

DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

looks very nice, how much?
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

$10 for cloth materail
$40 for wood and nails and staple
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

Wow. that's very budget. but will it work the same?
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Cloth works better than paper because you can stretch out all the wrinkles and is a little more forgiving with lights and shadows. Check out photography stores. I know some offer background screens in "film screen" colors.
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

At my shop i work at for studio portraits we use a color paper as a backdrop and it works perfect!
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

Also pick up some lighting, you want to light your screen separate from your subject.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

Ya thats a problem I had with my green screen i was using (4) 500watt halogen lights to try to get even lighting, ha it didnt work im uploading the video now it about 150megs, il post it soon.
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

Which screen is more popular? the green or blue one
myspace.com/minsh_com

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

There both about the same but green is used mostly because people often wear blue, for example jeans.
Hide or fight for your life?
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

Green is often times used because of a myth surrounding how the color information in DV is stored, supposedly in YUV colorspace the green resolution defined by the three different channels of Luma, Red and Blue. By storing those seperatelyits assumed that the compression is much less damaging, however this is not the case, it contains the exact same resolution as the Blue. However, green is better when used for darker subjects, because your value of your green in the greenscreen is at a high level, probably around 190ish. If you stick a ligh subject in front of that, with its value of something like R200 G190 B200 notice the green value is the same, and it'd key out the light hair too. Now for a light colored object, blue is preferred, because a blue value will probably top at about 150ish, where the light colored object is then once again at 190blue, theres some distinction for the keyer to separate. Of course then theres the point made above, that you don't want to be wearing the color of the screen, but its rare that someone will be wearing something as vibrant as what we're talking here. So pick your favorite, each are used equally. (I personally have green, I like to light my subjects dark. ;) ) Now that may be a little more technical than you wanted, but oh well. Have fun.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

I still havent perfected the green screen but im geting closer, I think the lighting was the problem though.
http://www.snyderproduction.com/test.avi
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

It looked good, you just need to mess around with the colors a little. If you pause and look down at his hands on the desk, they are green. So, keep it up and just mess around a little.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

Thanks for the explanation. I'll go get my green cloth lol
myspace.com/minsh_com