Vietnam movie

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Vietnam movie

Post by mercenary123 »

I'm going to save up 500$ or more and make a SOOPA good Vietnam movie. But there are some things i need to know.

What kinda fatiques did they wear in Vietnam, who wore what??
What kinda back-packs did they have??
Most importantly, who is the MOST HONORABLE (real) veteran???

This movie is gonna be kinda like a documentary, but more movie like. lol

Just so every1 knows, I'll prolly be making this movie in the middle of next year.

Thanks yall, peace out,
Merc123
[img]http://f5.putfile.com/6/16618192897.jpg[/img]
got lazy on the siggy...
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Vietnam movie

Post by Gyro »

What happened to 9 Milie? Ask Epsilon, he knows a mess load about Vietnam.
@seanbagley
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

9Millie still coming, I just got the idea of this too.
got lazy on the siggy...
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

What time in the war are you making this movie in? Everything depends on that: uniforms and props, everything. Like in the beginning most US troops had the M-14, then changed into M-16; early in the war we had mostly advisors, most wore the tiger striped uniforms, later we sent in the bulk of the force made up of reg infantry which wore the plain green uniform. In the beginning (when main forces began to arrive) we fought mostly NVA (tan uniforms with a safari type helment) in largescale battles (We Were Soldiers), as the war progressed we fought in small engagement with the VC (infamous black pj's). Plus the time will play havoc with what your battles will be like: early, cr** loads of people shooting at marading Vietnamese; later, bang bang bang, "oh ****, lets shoot everywhere!" Or walking around, boom, "where's Harrison?" "There, there, there, and over there." You really have to give a time period before you really get into the script and props.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

I highly suggest readng A Rumor of War before doing this; I know it would have helped my Vietnam movie a ton.
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Re: RE: Vietnam movie

Post by mercenary123 »

maj_barnes wrote:What time in the war are you making this movie in? Everything depends on that: uniforms and props, everything. Like in the beginning most US troops had the M-14, then changed into M-16; early in the war we had mostly advisors, most wore the tiger striped uniforms, later we sent in the bulk of the force made up of reg infantry which wore the plain green uniform. In the beginning (when main forces began to arrive) we fought mostly NVA (tan uniforms with a safari type helment) in largescale battles (We Were Soldiers), as the war progressed we fought in small engagement with the VC (infamous black pj's). Plus the time will play havoc with what your battles will be like: early, cr** loads of people shooting at marading Vietnamese; later, bang bang bang, "oh ****, lets shoot everywhere!" Or walking around, boom, "where's Harrison?" "There, there, there, and over there." You really have to give a time period before you really get into the script and props.

Dude, I said at the top, Vietnam was between 1964 and 1975. And i already now the weapons, I need to know bout the BDU's and the back-packs.

Also, SgtPadrino, thanks, I'll look into that.
got lazy on the siggy...
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Re: RE: Vietnam movie

Post by UFProductions »

Exactly, the war took place over 11 years, and what maj barnes is trying to tell you is that the US army equipment changed drasticaly during that period. His first sentance is asking when DURING the war you want to set your movie.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

Well, I configured the prices again, I'm gonna have to save up bout 2000$!! Oh well, shitaki happens.

PRICES AND OTHER cr**
1. Twelve M16-A2s
$11.99 each
2. Twelve AK-47s
$8.00 each
3. One Super 9 Sniper's rifle
$60.00 each
4. Twelve Steel Pot helmets
$???
5. Twelve OD Green Jackets
$???
6. Twelve OD Green Pants
$???
7. Twelve Black jacket/shirts
$???
8. Twelve Black pants
$???

If any1 here knows where to get the clothes and helmets for really CHEAP, tell me please. I looked on Cheaperthandirt.com but their Steel Helmets were too much for me, plus the Russian Steel Helmets looked just like the US's, but they were sold out.
got lazy on the siggy...
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

4. Twelve Steel Pot helmets
$???
Gyro can get 'em to ya for about $5 each. Talk to him though.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

Juss did.

What kinda grenades and mines did they have on both our side and the Viet-congs. Also, what kinda helmets did the Viet-congs wear??

Also again, when I can get a job, I'ma gonna get me a new camera. One of those big 2000$ ones. I'm gonna get nearly 200$ every 2 weeks, so I'm gonna buy a bunch of guns with that so I don't get bored waiting all this time working and saving up money.

p-p-p-peace out,
Merc123
got lazy on the siggy...
Swanny

Post by Swanny »

Check out Battlefield vietnam website to combine videogames with movies
always a good thing:D
but i am not sure if the info is accurate so be careful lol
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

First off... you really haven't any idea what you are doing...

I responded to your PMs. But you really need to study history more. There is a lot of correctly costuming US soldiers. For starters, the M-16 A2 assault rifle came out after the war and I haven't ever heard of a Super 9 in Vietnam. Early war, everyone wore utility uniforms, later they switched to fatigues, by the end of the war, everything was screwed up, but the BDU as we know it today hadn't existed.

US used the classic "lemon shaped" frag grenades and smoke grenades. A few ocassions, white phosphorus too. The NVA had arsenals of all sorts of Chineses, Soviet, and even old German hand grenades.

The NVA soldiers wore green or khaki pith helmets (not like the ones we see today though) and the VC commonly wore straw hats. We can chat more later.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Yeah - you'll want the M16A1s, with the triangle foregrips. 20 rnd mags were standard issue, as well.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The M-16 A1s were briefly used in the prewar. The A1 VN versions replaced them throughout the conflict. A few subtle differences, but still noticable. They were great rifles... until dirt got in em, then they often jammed and sent many fine men to their deaths. There were few other minor problems that the M-16 A2 resolved.

I seriously doubt that you can create a decent war epic with a budget of $500-2000, especially if you are trying to prop TWELVE people and also looking into spending on a camera as well. I have my biggie Vietnam Script here, I worked on it for about two and a half years, based on a historical fiction platoon in the early war. I've even created backgrounds for every character, locations aquired, crews set up, and even complete budget charts. I discovered the cheapest I could properly prop this production for is about $10,000. Nam utilities and gear is mildly cheap, but there is just so much of it to get right! Everything from boots to bayonets, it's just tough! Even with my connections to gear and junk.

If you lived nearby, I would love to get together and help you out to the best of my ability. I would even consider working with 3d composites in video post with you in that case. But that's life...
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

I know they used the M16-A1, but they call the airsoft gun a M16-A2, and the Super 9 rifle is a bolt action airsoft rifle. I'll find a cheap wholesale store for some boots, and the Ak47s I plan to get come with bayonets. But I did the prices again and noticed it will cost around $5000 to make this movie.

Post a pic of your version of a VietCong, NVA, and US troop Epsilon. What should I make the guys look like?
got lazy on the siggy...
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

It might have the triangle grip, because M-16 A2's have so many varients like the Ak's, plus the VC didn't always use Ak's they sometimes used SKS's and other weapons, sometimes over thirty years old back when they fought the French (Mp-40's, Kar-98's, Mosin-Nagants, PPSH's).
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Here's NVA:
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

The three most famous standard issue model M16s for the US military was the M16A1, followed shortly by the M16 VN model, then the model that is used today, the M16A2. The biggest noticable difference between the newest model and the older ones is the rounded, ribbed foregrip and 30 rnd clip. The M16 VN model had a smaller 20 rnd clip with a smoother triangular foregrip. The other variants like the CAR15 and XM177 have been around just as long, but the standard issue rifles have remained relatively similar in size and shape. Most of the improvements in the newer iterations of the standard issue model come in terms of reliability and durability.
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

I'm going to get some cheap made M16s, and they have only one kinda clip, only 30 rounds. My plan is to buy a bunch of different clips that look like 20rnd, try out each one of them, whichever one fits the best I'll buy a as many of those as I need. If none fit, I'll prolly saw off the bottom of the clip. :(
got lazy on the siggy...
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Location: London, Engalnd, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by lukeprausnitz »

didnt officers sometimes have tiger striped camo, while regular soldiers and junior offcers had olive green?
I would never join a club that would have me as a member
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Tiger stripes were kept to the LURPS, advisors, and other spec ops people among some of the Vietnamese who were with some of those groups. Besides junior officers are officers too!
lukeprausnitz
Posting Freak
Posting Freak
Location: London, Engalnd, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by lukeprausnitz »

sorry, i meant senior officers

whats a LURP?
I would never join a club that would have me as a member
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

sorry spelled it wrong: LRRP. It means long range recon patrol.
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

Any1 know where I can get a cheap GAS-BLOW-BACK airsoft M1911??

Also, what kinda shotguns did the officers have??
got lazy on the siggy...
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

If your gonna spend 100 on a GBB 1911, just buy a blank firing one. I don;t know if they make EBB 1911's but those would too work.
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com