How Do You Fund Your Film???

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

El Brenty

How Do You Fund Your Film???

Post by El Brenty »

So how do you lot do it? Ornsack seems to have money to burn (Explode, launch into a plate glass window, or whatever other effect you can think of) on costumes and things - Fair enough, must look great in the finished result.

Other members seem to have spend 1000's of £ and $ on the latest in editing software, and stuff like that, so I ask - How do y'all afford it, and where'd ya raise the cash from?

How would suggest that a complete novice starting their first production raises the cash needed for the usual pay-offs to security guards in shopping centres, council filming permits, etc? And of course, all that beer you've gotta buy when you're discussing the filming!

After all, it's difficult to make a film entirely for free, especially if there's a plethora of effects!

Personally, I try to involve local businesses, and get them to contribute in return for advertising their businesses in some form in the films!

[Edited on 9-10-2003 by CamClub]
Moderating behind the bushes!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

prostitution.
No really beg barrow and steal. I can't say much because I'm super low budget. What I can say is a tip that Keven Smith has said a few times, and somthing I will end up trying at some point. Get a few credit cards and max them all out. Not safe, but all I can think of. Also look for cheep things or stuff that your friends own, so you can mold your film around the stuff you have. Like I do a bunch of sword films because my friend has a big a** sword collection. film outside when you can. Just try to never pay for anything, or don't pay a lot. While it is not legal just dl the new software.
Grant

Post by Grant »

I work a casual job to pay for most of it. Also being an Aussie I am extremely resourceful and beg, borrow and steal what ever I can:D
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

So raising funds by selling cupcakes to girl guides and boy scouts isn't quite the answer then!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Gess not. I was thinking about this again, and relised that the best place to save money is in your script. I look at all the cr** I and my friends have then get an idea, plan out like three money shots, then give it a small budget, that is non-nigotshalble. Life the film I'm working on now is $200 no more, and I don't think I'm going to spend it all. Then With all this info in hand write your script. Also know your locations, shoot outside, or use lots of dimly lit interears, because with creative lighting, you can make your audeance think their is a set, and it can obscure a crapy set. Just put your foot down and try to never pay for anything.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

I have no job... My budgets rely entirely on Student loans. For our newest film it's £200 student loan, £200 that my mates have saved up, and £150 from my dad! My dad's obsessed with anything I do and is more than happy to waste money on us, which is really nice of him :D
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
Grant

Post by Grant »

Yeah make as much as you can, scrounge dumps and tradesmen bins
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

$400

Post by Jass Films »

I managed to pay for my first film with my 3 jobs (service assistant, drama teacher & swimming teacher). But i tried to keep cost minimal and in turn wrote a script that required little props. I managed to make a 25 min short film for festivals for $400, which was actually twice as much as i intended to spend.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Y'all have come up with some great ideas! Here's a few ways of getting more funds:

Like I said before, get local businesses involved - advertising and sponsorship works well, and it also helps for this idea:

Have a local public viewing.

Hire out a hall for the evening (Cheaper in winter months). Get a projector screen TV! - If you're lucky the hall may have something like this already if they show football matches and things on occasion! Make up some promotional posters - Get them circulated around the local area. If you can push to it, pop a small ad in the local paper.

Now you've done that - sell tickets to the viewing.

I have a friend who has an awsome rock band, so I linked up with him to hold a concert afterwards, share some of the ticket proceeds to cover his costs - He's also acts in some of my movies. This way, if the film really sucks, everyone can have a great concert afterwards!

Oh, and don't forget to sell booze! It's a private function, so you can probably get away with it!
Adam

Post by Adam »

You have to bee resourceful,
eg you can make the interior of an alien space craft out of a room covered in tin foil.
Use costumes that you can easily make yourself or are just some of your normal clothing.
Spend any money you do have on filming equipment, lighting etc the stuff that you can use again.
If you have the money employ some real actors.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

You're right on the ball there!

We did an alien scene using tin foil (Industrial length rolls from a catering supplier). It seemed great until someone figured out where the socket was hidden, and plugged a spotlamp into the socket through the tin foil! Darkness loomed everywhere!
Grant

Post by Grant »

Great AUSSIE never die attitude
Brent

Post by Brent »

anything that isnt bolted down is a potential prop,
for many cases your basement can be a different location than your upstairs which can be a different location than your front yard
Brent
Adam

Post by Adam »

Even a different angle in the same location can give be used in several different scenes.:o
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Diffrent angles, diffrent lighting, a few set pieces, can make a real diffrence, I shoot an entire movie in my garage, and it is at times hard to tell that it is all the same, exsept where I got a little sloppy with the camera work. Re-use every set you can.
Grant

Post by Grant »

Hell yeah.

For Udd Armageddon i turned my car into a tank :D
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Seen the pics on your website Grant, you did a good job there!

I'm transforming a 3 wheeler yellow Robin Reliant car into the A-Team van (My GMC Safari), with a few clever camera takes!

Aw, come on, they always end up building something out of a few bits lying around in a garage!

Couple of red stripes from some red carpet tape I have'll finish it off nicely!

The B-Team - Mission Kebab! A Tribute to 25 years of the A-Team!

[Edited on 24-7-2003 by CamClub]
Grant

Post by Grant »

Hey sounds strangely like The I-Team : Project FUBAR:D
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

Hmmmm, but does the I-Team's plot involve a quest for a Kebab?
Grant

Post by Grant »

No, but the sequal might:D
Jass Films
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jass Films »

Even a different angle in the same location can give be used in several different scenes
I actually shot 90% of my film at the same location. No-one that saw the film new the difference.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

I actually shot 90% of my film at the same location. No-one that saw the film new the difference.
Well, I never knew the difference either - Probably cuz I never saw the film I guess! LOL!

Grant, does your I-Team have a real helicopter scene in it, and BB Baracus (BB=Bad Breath)?
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

It's BA Baracus (Bad aditude or some sh*t like that.
El Brenty

Post by El Brenty »

You're right Foxwood, but mine is a spoof version - BB doesn't need to punch anyone, he just threatens them verbally, and they wilt from his bad breath!

Man, he's got some bad a** Muther f****** breath!
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

gotch, must have missed that.