This is off topic but we need to do this as a team.

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

I like your suggestions, but here's my stand on this webumentary:

My thoughts where to make a documentary based on the events. While the events are focused on generally, we move more in depth on suffering and its consequences.

Interviews with counselors, etc would provide further information on this subject, with visuals from the event to back up the interviews and provide that visual "punch".

While this may be the tried and true way of documentaries, I feel that it would be unique. All the major broadcast companies will be making their own, but ours would be the only one viewable online.

From watching this documentary on youtube, a troubled youth could realize their choices, the consequences, and how to get help.
CREATE FOR THE SAKE OF CREATING

http://www.neighborhoodstudios.com
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

What you've described is the classic talking heads documentary - and they will be getting made - and the visual punch could (as in the dramatisation) end in disaster, - plus it will not work to make people seek help - think about it - your telling them too with this kind of documentary.

A more sublte kind of docu like my suggestion doesnt preach to them, but could be haunting and thought provoking.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

So we shouldn't focus on the event as much as on troubled people?

I'm just trying to figure out what you're saying.

All I'm understanding is making a film that talks about the different ways people are troubled and the causes, with a read over of Cho's letter.

Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Righto - well you know how the tragedy is now synonomous with the footage of Cho's video tirade.

You have different people performing his words (of the speech) and you cut between them, people of different classes/race etc until the tirade is complete. It would show that it could happen to anyone - it also alludes to us all experiencing the consequences when it does happen. Yes it is a documetnary still but sure its metaphorical.

Cho's letter has come to represent the madness and the suffering/mental illness that caused this case - the fact that he shot his victims is only the consequence of the cause. If you focus on the consequence you are missing the point (i.e. the dramatisations miss the point.) Likewise interviews with counsellors only - reaffirm our consolation that he did it because he was 'mad' - what it does not do - which i think is really whats important - is to shake up the audience into realising that it can happen to anyone and that it will effect everyone when it happens.

We are so accustomed to the face of Cho - that we imagine 'that' is the face of a killer, to see so many faces read it - would be disconcerting. It will make people 'think' faaar more that the original idea.

It's also on another note, the kinda way you want to approach ideas like this - thinking out the box and finding ways to provoke thought - not emotion, and not dogmatic intellextualism either - ie expert talking head telling u the way it is. I do corporate videos for childrens and drugs charities in the UK, and its something you end up doing in the professional level too.

You have to go deeper into the psyche to make people really think - especially if your wanting to challenge the assertions they have already about this tragedy. I'd be curious to see what Liza thinks too.

//edit - of course you do not focus on the event - the event did not cause it, it ws the consequence of the 'dark intent' which Liza is i think wanting to explore. To recount the event is what a historical documentary will do years after it passes the news.
LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

Lawriejaffa wrote:First keep your eye on the prize - its not the library footage that makes my suggestion work or be effective - tho to be honest (its only 30 secs of something to roll out on) either from news footage of the event if ur allowed any or that portion could be recreated - even then we're talking about stuff happening outside the school, of a bodybag being put into an ambulance - and other carpark situated stuff, no scenes from the basketball diaries here... Even without some closing footage it could work with some well chosen text illustrative of how universal the suffering is - that can drive people to madness, (a choice quote from a very intelligent/famous person would be the best.)

It could for example end with a short protion of text - citing something linking it directly to Cho and the VT event. (that was the sole reason you would have any library footage too.) IT is not actually helpful to the idea its just there as linkage to the event for what you have just scene - the cut up performed manifesto. - the important thing is getting enough people representative of all walks of life - to read portions of it.

If you guy's want to make the clip 5 mins or 10 mins or 30sec that's fine. We have desided we will give you guys your own server space you can do what ever you want with it, and we are going to make room at the top of sticktowhatyouknow for your project. We will help you guy's in any way we can.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Lizam What do you want to explore in this doc?

The consequense of CHo
OR THE WHOLE TRAGEDY WITH AND HOW WE CAN PREVENT IT
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

LizaTrainer wrote:
Lawriejaffa wrote:First keep your eye on the prize - its not the library footage that makes my suggestion work or be effective - tho to be honest (its only 30 secs of something to roll out on) either from news footage of the event if ur allowed any or that portion could be recreated - even then we're talking about stuff happening outside the school, of a bodybag being put into an ambulance - and other carpark situated stuff, no scenes from the basketball diaries here... Even without some closing footage it could work with some well chosen text illustrative of how universal the suffering is - that can drive people to madness, (a choice quote from a very intelligent/famous person would be the best.)

It could for example end with a short protion of text - citing something linking it directly to Cho and the VT event. (that was the sole reason you would have any library footage too.) IT is not actually helpful to the idea its just there as linkage to the event for what you have just scene - the cut up performed manifesto. - the important thing is getting enough people representative of all walks of life - to read portions of it.

If you guy's want to make the clip 5 mins or 10 mins or 30sec that's fine. We have desided we will give you guys your own server space you can do what ever you want with it, and we are going to make room at the top of sticktowhatyouknow for your project. We will help you guy's in any way we can.
So we are all doing our own??

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

I think we are collaborating on this.

Lisa is saying that on her forum she has set aside our own area if we want to continue the discussion there.

Anyways, who's in charge of this project?!?!

I still want to do the counselor interview, i think I could get some good stuff in there.

I get the idea of having different people reciting the letter. Is there a way to make that more obvious that the people saying it are troubled, so that more people understand it?

Do we want to do the reenactment or not? i need to know soon so I can cancel if need be.

I can get people to do the reading.

I really don't know what's going on anymore. We need a designated leader to clear up this chaos.

kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

I received an email from Lisa,

we also have been given space to upload our clips as they are completed.

If anyone here is willing to help, lets move this conversation over to www.sticktowhatyouknow.com

we have been given a forum topic all our own at the top.

kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

And thx lawrie for clearing up what you suggested.

LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

Lawriejaffa wrote:What you've described is the classic talking heads documentary - and they will be getting made - and the visual punch could (as in the dramatisation) end in disaster, - plus it will not work to make people seek help - think about it - your telling them too with this kind of documentary.

A more sublte kind of docu like my suggestion doesnt preach to them, but could be haunting and thought provoking.
All good point's. We need to come to an agreement on a script, and then each person follow's there part. We have been doing this on stwyk for some time now and it does work and it is a blast to do. We all hash things out at first just like you are, and then it all starts to come together, but it take's time, and ya have to read everthing.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

Well, what should we do for a script.

The ideas I see now are interviews and different people reading off the guy's letters.

Let's come up with some more stuff to make this a deeper docu

LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

youngfilmmaker wrote:Lizam What do you want to explore in this doc?

The consequense of CHo
OR THE WHOLE TRAGEDY WITH AND HOW WE CAN PREVENT IT

Doc is on you guy's, how you are doing your part, what you do and why.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

And Lisa, are you going to be in charge to delegate tasks (I don't see something as complicated as a docu coming together unless we have someone in charge to make decisions and stick with it).

LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

kene555 wrote:And Lisa, are you going to be in charge to delegate tasks (I don't see something as complicated as a docu coming together unless we have someone in charge to make decisions and stick with it).

All right, ya just gota put up with my spelling and typing.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

Good.

What scenes do you want.

What is the outline going to be.

Let's start with that.

LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

kene555 wrote:I received an email from Lisa,

we also have been given space to upload our clips as they are completed.

If anyone here is willing to help, lets move this conversation over to www.sticktowhatyouknow.com

we have been given a forum topic all our own at the top.

This is only for this project, no one is asking you to leave MH. We can not controle it if it's here and they might not want us making a zoo out of the forum. We have three spot's at the top opened up just for you guys to work this out.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

So do you want to keep the interview with the counselor in the documentary?

LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

kene555 wrote:So do you want to keep the interview with the counselor in the documentary?

I think so, it would not fit in the clip good.

We can do a reinactment of it if you want.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

It's up to you,

I just sent a cancel email to my prinicpal about that, if you feel a reenactment would add to the story of troubled kids, then let me know within a few hours so I will know in time to talk personally to him tomorrow.

kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

HEY

If anyone here is willing to help - youngfilmmaker, lawriejaffa, register at www.sticktowhatyouknow.com

we've got storyboards, outlines, ideas, etc going here.

please help

youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Guys..

I want to make this clear before I assign myself to this project.
Liza,

What is the purpose of this Doc. And what do you want to achieve? Do you want a big doc on the whole thing?

We are all collabrating and making this as one correct?

-Michael Moore
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yep likewise cos i thought Liza u were directing and u were just asking guys to help u film sone content that could be patched together :)
LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

youngfilmmaker wrote:Guys..

I want to make this clear before I assign myself to this project.
Liza,

What is the purpose of this Doc. And what do you want to achieve? Do you want a big doc on the whole thing?

We are all collabrating and making this as one correct?

Clip first, there is a problum with time in the school for shooting. Docs along the way. Turn all doc's into one at the end.
LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

Lawriejaffa wrote:Yep likewise cos i thought Liza u were directing and u were just asking guys to help u film sone content that could be patched together :)
I'm not going to be there, the school shot will be in a nother state.

I will do all I can and give as much help as posable.