This is off topic but we need to do this as a team.

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

I can set up an interview with my school counselor about the event, if that would work.

Also, for the music: once the film is completed, we have a composer. I got in contact with an acquaintance, Justin R. Durban, and this is what he said about composing a score for us:

"Justin R. Durban"
to me

show details
12:07 pm (2 hours ago)
Ryan,

Great idea! I'll be happy to create a track for the event. When the
documentary is ready to go, just send me a link to the locked version of
the film and I'll see what I can come up with. I think the visuals will
give me a better connection with the event and I could truly feel
situation.

keep me posted and best of luck with the doc.

Cheers!
/justin

you can view his work at http://www.edgen.com

I've used his music before, and this guy is great. He's let me use his music for absolutely free, and now this documentary has legal music, so we could distribute it around on DVD if we wanted.
CREATE FOR THE SAKE OF CREATING

http://www.neighborhoodstudios.com
LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

kene555 wrote:I can set up an interview with my school counselor about the event, if that would work.

Also, for the music: once the film is completed, we have a composer. I got in contact with an acquaintance, Justin R. Durban, and this is what he said about composing a score for us:

"Justin R. Durban"
to me

show details
Ryan,

situation.

Cheers!
/justin

I've used his music before, and this guy is great. He's let me use his music for absolutely free, and now this documentary has legal music, so we could distribute it around on DVD if we wanted.

Dam you have been bizzzzzzy. This all sound's great, just rember the message, you need to find a way that all your film trix, and time and talent, hard work speaks to the kid on the edge, you wana talk him back in from off the ledge. In other words, you wana inspire desterbed kid's to find help, and kid's around them to not be judgemental, and keep trying to make it easy for them to ask for help.

This will not be easy, anyone can make a film that get's you mad or sad, or happy.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

So I'm thinking of shooting the interview and hallway reaction scenes this week.

What questions do I want to ask the counselor?

LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

kene555 wrote:So I'm thinking of shooting the interview and hallway reaction scenes this week.

What questions do I want to ask the counselor?

WOW that is priceless info, ask everthing you can think of, and then ask some more, make shure ya get it all in tape.

Ya know your going to be fine with out any of my help. I have been looking at the work you guy's have done over here and you have everthing.

I could never get in a school with my cam, or ask a counselor question's or even think about shooting a scene with this content around kid's.
LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

There is one thing I would like you to ask.

Ask if they met Seung-Hui Cho what would they have said to try and and avoide this tragedy.

There answer is the key to your film clip.
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

LizaTrainer wrote:
kene555 wrote:I can set up an interview with my school counselor about the event, if that would work.

"Justin R. Durban"
to me

show details
Ryan,

situation.

Cheers!
/justin

i love Justin R. Durbans stuff!!!!
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

This is still CONFUSING me! Is this one whole documentary or differents put into one?
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Right now.. there is a CNN Special Investigation on the VT Massacre.

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

youngfilmmaker wrote:This is still CONFUSING me! Is this one whole documentary or differents put into one?

Diffrent one's all in one. I will make a quick little one, and each person on it makes one about there part and how they feel about it.

Inless ya got a better idea.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Well, I think we should do one whole big one. Everyone contributing to it. Everyone has a role and we all work on it together. Anyone agree?

-Michael Moore
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

Well, we could do it that way, but with different people doing the same exact thing it would look like a bunch of stuff thrown together. What I'm trying to say is, if we have like 3 reenactments, they'd all be at different places, and wouldn't look professional patched together into 1.

Now, I can do the reenactment. I will be getting in touch with the principal and setting that up. I can also do a counselor interview.

I think it would be good if others can do interviews on their own, so that we can add those to the whole.

Also someone should be filming a depiction of the killer's life, y'know, showing people being mistreated, and lead up to them going over the edge.

I will be filming widescreen, just so everyone knows. This way we can keep the ratios the same.

I doubt that I can bring a gun to school for this. If I did, then we would get amazing footage of myself being taken down.

Lisa, I believe you said that you had a greenscreen. If I took several different stationary angles, could you greenscreen in the killer?

I have the same gun he used, an airsoft Walther.

I'm getting excited to do this...!

kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

Wait, so for the music, do we want it for one documentary out of the whole, or the whole thing?

Because if we all do our own, that's at least 3, and I don't think our composer will record 30 minutes or so of music for free.

If this becomes an issue, can others find their own music, if we all do our own documentary?

Maybe see if Free Play Music will allow us to us their music free legally (technically, we can use that music for free if its a school project and not distributed on the net).

So what's going on with this anyways?

youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

I personally think we should all do this as a whole. We can have one person in charge of reeactments another interview, another editing what happen that day.. another working on graphics, and etc.

-Michael Moore
LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

youngfilmmaker wrote:Well, I think we should do one whole big one. Everyone contributing to it. Everyone has a role and we all work on it together. Anyone agree?

That's what I'm saying. :wink:
Last edited by LizaTrainer on Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Ok. Lets all work on this. But we all have a roles. Its better than each making our own.

I think, we might need to start a whole new thread somewhere and start giving roles, ideas and assigments.

-Michael Moore
LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

kene555 wrote:Well, we could do it that way, but with different people doing the same exact thing it would look like a bunch of stuff thrown together. What I'm trying to say is, if we have like 3 reenactments, they'd all be at different places, and wouldn't look professional patched together into 1.

Now, I can do the reenactment. I will be getting in touch with the principal and setting that up. I can also do a counselor interview.

I think it would be good if others can do interviews on their own, so that we can add those to the whole.

Also someone should be filming a depiction of the killer's life, y'know, showing people being mistreated, and lead up to them going over the edge.

I will be filming widescreen, just so everyone knows. This way we can keep the ratios the same.

I doubt that I can bring a gun to school for this. If I did, then we would get amazing footage of myself being taken down.

Lisa, I believe you said that you had a greenscreen. If I took several different stationary angles, could you greenscreen in the killer?

I have the same gun he used, an airsoft Walther.

I'm getting excited to do this...!

I have a greenscreen, but I am not any good at the computer end of it, but LW on my board has been doing it senc the early 90s so we have acsess to some amazing talent.

I'm not following what you are saying about reenactment, you need to do something that has killed filming and still carry a message.
LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

You tell me, I'm in. Don't know if MH want's us cloging up a chunk of there board for this, so if we need to my board is open, and we figured out a way to keep the 18 and older stuff iceolated.
LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

I just got an idea. We could get a red baseball cap tan jacket, and bluejeens each, and this is what the guy wares, all the shot's from the side's and back, never show his face.

We can all use the same type person, post pics of the guy you get to do it, and we will all try and get one like him. Some front shots will be needed, so we pick who has the best one and place to shoot.

So yes I can give you all the greenscreen shot's you want. I can get the same gun, I will film over his sholder, down his arm, you can see the people get hit if you want to.

I know it sounds cold to talk like this at a time like this, but I think we will need this shot.

As for the wardrobe, I just said red hat, what ever, you get the point, we can find the same kind wardrobe any where on the planet.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

OK then

here's what I can do.

I am still clearing this up, but I can do any and all shots of the killing at school.

I can contribute the interview of a school counselor.

I CANNOT do any scenes with the killer, as I cannot bring a gun to school.

So for scenes with the killer, I will shoot stationary shots, and we can greenscreen him in at a later time - Lisa maybe you could get someone to do it and shoot the greenscreen footage at your end, then upload your stuff. I could upload my stuff, and you could have the greenscreen expert download both scenes and composite them.

LizaTrainer

Post by LizaTrainer »

WOW THIS GUY IS GREAT are you realy going to get him to help.

http://www.edgen.com/
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

I can also do the effects work.

If we need masking, etc I can do that.

I've got some bullet hits and stuff from det films we can use.

When the whole thing's finished, it'll be over a gig, I'm sure. Where'll we upload it to? Because when it's all done i'll need to get it so I can put the music in.

kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

I am serious, this guy is the best, and he agreed to do the music for free for us.

This guy is pro.

Let's try to make this 10 minutes max, for the sanity of the composer and so it'll fit on youtube.

Here's what I see for jobs:

1)Dramatization of shooting event (I can probably do this, still haven't heard back)

2)Interviews (everyone should be able to find someone to interview, whether at school or locally)

3)Greenscreen (shots including the gun at school will need to be composited)

4) FX (includes muzzle flash, debris from bullet slamming into doors, walls, windows, etc

5)Final editing(everyone could edit their segment, then someone could edit the whole thing together, pick the choice parts to make it flow)

Once it's completed, we need a secure site to post so our composer can view and begin creating the soundtrack.

whaddya think?

plus we might need someone to do a voice over, and do the intro

Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well personally i think you guys might want to reconsider this approach a little bit - If i just comment on your ideas Kene (as you've set out numerically)

1 - Dramatising of the shooting event is not a good idea - screen violence will not endear your film to an audience desperate for some kind of explanation over what happened. You must also bear in mind just how common screen violence and even mass shootings are in films/tv - people will either switch off mentally - or be totally repulsed by its dramatisation.

2 - Interviews - well here's the thing - what possible interviews can you do that will not already be covered by the News Media - anyone with expertise will be answering their questions. Now sure you can interview kids at school or a counsellor at yours etc - but are they really going to add something we don't already know? Will what they say be deemed relevant by an audience if they come from a different school. Are we not dangerously getting near the old talking heads documentary that the media will already be putting out - fast.

3/4 - Again chroma effects and FX i think indicate more where this idea is focussing on the wrong issues - style over substance.

///////// My Suggestion

I think a simpler idea is needed - and a more specific objective for this film to achieve. At the moment people are already starting to count this gunman as a victim too, (as more news of his mental state and conditions comes out) - even Virginia Tech students have left memorials for him too. So this video doesnt necessarily 'need' to convince audiences that the gunman was a human too (in the emotional sense.)

I think personally a more effective message would be to illustrate how anyone can become susceptable to these violent impulses - through the pressures of society, school and unrecognised psychological or even biological problems.

I suggested it before but i think given that Cho's Video and Images have now become the most saturated media representation or symbol of this event - it is THOSE that you should be playing with.

If you had his 'manifesto'/speech, read by many different speakers (cutting between them) each indicative of different classes/races/etc etc.

That would be a haunting and grim film (which would also be simpler to shoot and more effective.) that would show that just about anyone can fall victim to this. With the end of the read manfesto then u could follow it with just some library footage of the event (slowed down.)

This video could be about 5 - 6mins tops. - I think then you would be playing with the media and peoples current perception of the event (largely told by the symbolic footage and photos of Cho) than some kind of recreated dramatisation followed by talking heads... cos u guys need to think out the box on this one i think. ;) good luck.

Cos to be honest ur current idea sounds like it will turn out like this ad did for iraq
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbh9-1-bS5o
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

Where can we get library footage of the event?

Even if it's available for download, it will be low res and likely unusable.

Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

First keep your eye on the prize - its not the library footage that makes my suggestion work or be effective - tho to be honest (its only 30 secs of something to roll out on) either from news footage of the event if ur allowed any or that portion could be recreated - even then we're talking about stuff happening outside the school, of a bodybag being put into an ambulance - and other carpark situated stuff, no scenes from the basketball diaries here... Even without some closing footage it could work with some well chosen text illustrative of how universal the suffering is - that can drive people to madness, (a choice quote from a very intelligent/famous person would be the best.)

It could for example end with a short protion of text - citing something linking it directly to Cho and the VT event. (that was the sole reason you would have any library footage too.) IT is not actually helpful to the idea its just there as linkage to the event for what you have just scene - the cut up performed manifesto. - the important thing is getting enough people representative of all walks of life - to read portions of it.