Editing Services to Make Money??

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

SE7

Editing Services to Make Money??

Post by SE7 »

Hey, I have been trying to come up with solutions to earn more and more money, and I've been doing many hours of yardwork (blahfggh!) I've been thinking, and decided to edit local companies in my area's video (edit their commercials, etc.)

It wouldn't be hard because I have Photoshop, Premiere Pro, and After Effects. I could make some really good, professional commercials. What I would do is have the company come to me with footage from their commercial that they want to make, and give me the footage, which I would then edit.

Would this be possible? Have the company bring me the footage? (I can't shoot the videos, because I have a sucky camera, and the reason why I want to do this is to buy a better camera)

I was wondering if any of you guys had advice for advertising my services, and getting myself out there?? How will I let companies know what I am doing? Should I put an ad in the local newspaper??

Also, How much would I charge for each commercial I edit??

I appreciate the help,

Cheers,
Colin
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

Well good luck with that, I dont think what you want to do will be possible. The people who film it 99% of the time will edit it as well. When I was in high school I worked part time on the weekend for a super small video company, all I did was do events and wedding videography not editing; the owner did that. And I did wedding videography on the side when I had the oppuratunity. Im a Combat Photographer/Videographer for the US Air Force. Ive had serveral photos published in magazines and many video clips on local news and world wide Air Force reports. And since I dont make very much money in the military (though getting amazing shoots makes up for this) I do photo and video on the side such as Portrait, Weddings and Event photography I charge like $10 a print I make a pretty penny. In one night I made $500 after supplie were deducted. I hate doing wedding but its so profitable. Im going to do some hunting doccumentries this summer on a side project, I am also making a promotional video for a guys business. Im still working on my website to advertise my service locally, most of my business is word of mouth which is good cause I delivery a high quality product. All together I have about $8000 invested in photo and video equipment. Im thinking about purchasing a GL2 or XL2 this summer. Best thing to do now is talk with the companies that do that type of thing maybe they might contract the editing to you if they are to busy to edit it themselves, but you would need to get a business liceanse. Well make sure you have some examples of your work so you can awe them, you may need to do you first job for free or very cheap to start up your gallery. Well that my 2 cents.
delta_echo

Post by delta_echo »

redkorn wrote:Well good luck with that, I dont think what you want to do will be possible. The people who film it 99% of the time will edit it as well. When I was in high school I worked part time on the weekend for a super small video company, all I did was do events and wedding videography not editing; the owner did that. And I did wedding videography on the side when I had the oppuratunity. Im a Combat Photographer/Videographer for the US Air Force. Ive had serveral photos published in magazines and many video clips on local news and world wide Air Force reports. And since I dont make very much money in the military (though getting amazing shoots makes up for this) I do photo and video on the side such as Portrait, Weddings and Event photography I charge like $10 a print I make a pretty penny. In one night I made $500 after supplie were deducted. I hate doing wedding but its so profitable. Im going to do some hunting doccumentries this summer on a side project, I am also making a promotional video for a guys business. Im still working on my website to advertise my service locally, most of my business is word of mouth which is good cause I delivery a high quality product. All together I have about $8000 invested in photo and video equipment. Im thinking about purchasing a GL2 or XL2 this summer. Best thing to do now is talk with the companies that do that type of thing maybe they might contract the editing to you if they are to busy to edit it themselves, but you would need to get a business liceanse. Well make sure you have some examples of your work so you can awe them, you may need to do you first job for free or very cheap to start up your gallery. Well that my 2 cents.
Just out of curiosity, what base are you stationed at?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Some apple programs have classes/tests to take so you can get an apple approval certificate to show that you know it well, I beleive FCP has 2 classes from standard to professional, this would be a good way to show people you're experienced. Also a demo reel.
puje

Post by puje »

Woah dude, he wasn't asking for your life story :P
SE7 -> I don't really think the idea will work, if they hire someone to shoot the footage, why whould they hire someone else to do the editing?
[url]http://www.bigcow.dk[/url]
[img]http://www.bigcow.dk/images/boardlogo.GIF[/img]
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

Just out of curiosity, what base are you stationed at?
Im stationed in Alaska.
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Thanks for the information... Since I probably won't be able to do this, do you have any ideas on what I can do to earn money? (preferably something related to filmmaking, since yardwork and od-jobs are getting tiresome)...

Thanks,

Colin
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

you could offer to shoot it if they pay the camera rental
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Oh what a good idea! Thanks man, it might be kinda hard to find businesses willing to pay the price of the rental camera, but I'm sure there are a few I could do. Thanks again, I owe you one.

Cheers,

Colin
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

My dad got me alot of business doing commerical and other videos for small companies. The best thing to do is to make business cards: your name, what you do, and a link to your videos or website. Just hand them out, and you'll eventually get some business. Try Vistaprint.com, the cards are free (you get 200), and shipping is only $5.
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Thanks maj_barnes... I appreciate the info... I'll have to check out that site!!

Thanks again everyone for the replies and info...

Cheers,

Colin
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Look in the yellow pages for other videographers and contact them. See if they pay you to do some work.
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
F.F.F.

Post by F.F.F. »

I think young filmmaker has got omething there. That's what I did. It worked for me.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

I think this can help you get money and also learn from some of the local videographers.
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
stevebigscreen

Post by stevebigscreen »

Why not look into offering a title/graphics service ? If you're prices are kept right, some companies might give you contract work such as adding credit rolls, graphics etc to finished productions. It's the bit I hate most about film making