Panasonic vs. Sony

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Panasonic vs. Sony

Post by Zacatac927 »

What are you guy's opinons on their new hd cameras.

pros, cons?

I know the panny has only p2 slots, while sony has tape.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Panasonic vs. Sony

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Honestly i mean whats the point of this post, how many guys here even have hd sony or panny cams? All your gonna get is some totally misinformed brand flaming... I mean honestly!
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

well I have a panasonic HD video camera in my shop, though we only use the hard drives to capture the video and it take only 30min of video on the hard drive.
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

I have a Sony HDR-HC1, which was one of the first CMOS HDV camcorders. I got it a year ago, and I love it! Since then, I have gotten a wide angle lens for it, a Beachtek DXA-8, 2 microphones (Audio Technica AT4053a, and AT4073a), a boompole, a shock mount, a Cavision 3x3 Matte Box w/ rail system, and a pair of headphones (Sony MDR-7506). I still need to buy a nice tripod, and 2 3x3 filters.

The video quality is amazing if you have a lot of light. It's not so nice if you don't have a lot of light, but then again, not much camcorders are good in low light. Other than that, I love this camcorder.
DAZMAN
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DAZMAN »

Lol forget either the future is JVC! I finished my first day of principle photographey today with my JVC GY HD 100 + mini 35 adapter + 28mm - 135mm nikon prime lenses. It looks the muts nuts! I recon better than 16mm by far.
www.x-21.tk
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Ya its easy to get excited about the JVC but its def not without its faults...

Its a question of money -

IF you are poorer then get the SONY V1 progressive frame rate HDV camera - its a total bargain (due to evil marketing reasons sony has) but the customer is the winner.

If you are richer ;) then the JVC HD100 (or whichever version has the XLR inputs) is def the one to go for. Its a gorgeous camera with excellent form, but it still despite its presentation, form, and lovely ease of use adapters and lenses still an HDV camera. This is relevant if your a broadcast producer/or working for stuff to be blown up etc. (however id recommend it absolutely - and u should check out the movie 'Twist of Fate' which was shot on it.

If you are richest of all - go for the Panny HVX200 with p2 cards special offer (or with the firestore 100) In the summer the cineporter will be available making this camera a true beauty. It records in HD DVC Pro, which is a far superior codec to HDV for reasons (that are not particularly obvious cosmetically) but does make a different to broadcasters. Incidentally its a beautiful camera too that produces a lovely image haha.

Ones I would not consider (now anyway if u had the choice) are the Sony Z1 and F1 there great but u can get the V for cheaper and its progressive. While the Canon H1 is beyond the ball park for u guys anyway (and me) but again is a non-option really, (its very expensive for an hdv camera!)
DAZMAN
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DAZMAN »

the FX1 and the Z1 arnt progressive, they are interlaced with a little device called cinframe which is ment to replicate it.

The XLH1 is s***. it is exactly the same (Interlaced with a progressive replicator) costs way to much and has the smallest lcd screen in the world (not a problem if you use a field monitor though). Canon has gone down hill here, instead of being the indi movimakers choice it has now been desighned around media or news gathering in my opinion.

The only true cameras for me are the HVX200 or the JVC GYDV 100 (both the jvcs hve 2 xlr points. The 101E has a HDV out where as the100E does not).

The hvx200 codec is only better because it claims to reord colour at 100MBS which is in fact bollocs. When tested by professionals it came close to 25MBS. The P2 solid state cards are fantastic bur for a 4GB card your looking at £500 whic will only record a few minutes. They also are so rare in this country you will most probably be put on a waiting list.

The main reason I went with the JVC is not just because it has interchangable lenses but for one other reason :

Sony, pannasonic, Canon, JVC know absoloutly f*** all about how to make a decent movie lense. JVC has recognice this and commisiond Fujion to make the lense and it is a work of art.
www.x-21.tk
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yah okay well er hate to break ur heart on this one dazman, but there is a massive difference really in 'quality' between HDV and HD DVC Pro. When tested by professionals? Most broadcasters have clumped HDV with SD mini dv video in terms of the amount of content they intend to show produced by that format - which they (And in some cases are allowed to show.) Commissioning editors have placed no restrictions on HD CAM and HD DVC Pro (the second being what the hvx 200) uses.

There is no doubt about what the HD DVC Pro codec 'claims' to be, its there to read and see. A lot of JVC HDV guys get neurotic about this (cos there camera is often compared to the HVX) and HDV biased reviwers will say things like 'but hey both images look good' regardless of the fact that its not just a cosmetic quality that seperates the codecs. In the UK the BBC has a restriction of approximately 25% of content for SD and HDV (they are clumped together) for there future HD channels. Almost all broadcasters will be featuring programming shot primarily on HD CAM and HD DVC Pro (and film obviously.)

The JVC gives you a lot of bang for ur buck but out of the big boys (if ur talking sony cinealtas and the panny equivelants.) Well even the hvx (which ur right with p2s or special HDs costs a lot) probably about x2 what u can get a JVC for, is the absolute minimum for accepted HD broadcast. (which is great) There is no waiting time for p2 cards, and theres great special offers by uk retailers (which were first extended to us customers) to buy an hvx with 2 p2 cards free. They are also meant to be used in a completely different work flow.

Ya the FX1 and Z1 are not progressive (the V is) but that doesn't mean they should be discounted IF you get a good deal on one. Solthar on this forum has produced great results. Its easy to sometimes get too hyped about progressive.

Regarding lenses!?! I think your getting a little excitable there - the Leica is fabulous and theres loads of other decent makes used out there.

I'm sure ur pleased to have/used a JVC but theres no need to get too fanboyish about it!
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

Just get a canon, that will solve all of your problems.
"Prolly Just Film"
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

lethelgirth87 wrote:Just get a canon, that will solve all of your problems.
ha, i do have a canon, which is why i want something else
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Well buttmunch why don't you actually articulate what you intend to use the camera for? What your real production budgets are? What company or if you work for yourself etc? Give us something man...

Some specifity would help for advice (rather than letting it drag into some brand war) thread
lethelgirth87
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by lethelgirth87 »

Zacatac927 wrote:
ha, i do have a canon, which is why i want something else
LOL. To each, his own.
"Prolly Just Film"
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

Lawriejaffa wrote:Well buttmunch why don't you actually articulate what you intend to use the camera for? What your real production budgets are? What company or if you work for yourself etc? Give us something man...

Some specifity would help for advice (rather than letting it drag into some brand war) thread
oh fierce talk afoot

im using the camera for film, why else would i be posting on a Filmmaking Forum.

I'm just trying to get your guy's input on what is worth it
DAZMAN
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DAZMAN »

to be fair Lawriejaffa, this is just a debate about the pros and cons of each camera, and you are the one person who is getting anoyed about it, if your angery then why keep posting?
www.x-21.tk
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

lol well im not 'angery' im just wanting to know what it is we're supposed to be helping out with lol

Because we could endlessly speculate about ANY variety of camera's - when some info from zac would help us narrow advice to be something relevant.

Sure your using the camera for film Zac - but what kind of films, what budget do you have, are you wanting film looks or not, give us all the info u can and we can give u a detailed response.

Rather than 'hey guys whats better apples or oranges' cos (and yes im being metaphorical) While not angry i am irritated because i juuuust knew it would descend into some semi -fanboy misinformed debate which is probably totally irrelevant to the feedback zacs looking for. And well i keep posting cos its er fun to discuss! duh theres no puzzle there ;)
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

Lawriejaffa wrote:lol well im not 'angery' im just wanting to know what it is we're supposed to be helping out with lol

Because we could endlessly speculate about ANY variety of camera's - when some info from zac would help us narrow advice to be something relevant.

Sure your using the camera for film Zac - but what kind of films, what budget do you have, are you wanting film looks or not, give us all the info u can and we can give u a detailed response.

Rather than 'hey guys whats better apples or oranges' cos (and yes im being metaphorical) While not angry i am irritated because i juuuust knew it would descend into some semi -fanboy misinformed debate which is probably totally irrelevant to the feedback zacs looking for. And well i keep posting cos its er fun to discuss! duh theres no puzzle there ;)
i prefer oranges

ok on a more serious side, i was just getting peoples opninons on the cameras.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The only camera that's ever failed on us was a Canon... :|
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Really? I like Canons a lot...I've had one for three or four years and have not yet had a problem with it. As for Sony, some of their consumer cameras use touchscreens now, and I find that really annoying.
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

I use a Canon XM2, Lovely cam, exellent look. As good as any HD cam.
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

It is difficult to compare consumer cameras, because the normal consumer wants things like touch screens, sepia color tone, and picture mode... A serious filmmaker likes manual controls and quality footage.
challengerbravo525

Post by challengerbravo525 »

go with anything panasonic! sony merch breaks down just after the warranty expires....and panasonic generally have more sponsorship in the world
Today's Bread TODAY
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Yea, Panasconic is better.
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I'll recommend a Sony every time. I've never had a problem, ever...
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

I'm using a sony right now. no problems.. yet.
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

Sony all the way! I love my High-Definition Sony HDR-HC1!