How to start your own Video Production Company -

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

How to start your own Video Production Company -

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Righto this is more an answer to a pm sent about how i made a production company and how it came about. So i thought since its a long enuf story why not subject you all to it, after all some of it may be useful!

Ages ago me and my 2 buddy's one of them an accountancy clerk and the other a graphic Designer, got really into the idea of helping me make a short film which i was toying with the idea of while studying acting.

I had a Canon Optura to play with, and so we worked together (hiriing a microphone) which by fortune worked with our camera, and started making our first short film. (which you can see on this forum called 'Purgatory')

After that we did a wide variety of shorts all of varied quality. However, we decided eventually that we wanted to make our first feature, and to do that we intended to apply for finance at the grants council in the UK.

To be applicable we had to be a limited company, and so we did the paper work for that.

Of course our poorly prepared application for money for our movie was rejected, and there we were with our company and a crappy optura. For about 6 months we wrangled ideas about whether we should operate as a business and try to get work (it seemed impossible.)

To help i enrolled at a technical video college, and this worked immensely. For during that time we also applied for a small business grant (which we got) and with our trianing we could now hire better equipment for our creative work BUT what about business work.

Well the first commission came by accident, a local wanted a parade and party filmed, and we got a mere £60 tho it was a few hours work at most.) As our first commission despite the tiny amount of money it was cool and we kept the cheque for posterity.

As time went on we didnt really advertise for work (we were all studying and learning more about our respective jobs at the same time.) Finally though more small commissions (now in the hundred range hooray.)

Then one day I started talking to companies that had things i wanted for movie props. One of them agreed to do a deal for photography work in exchange for credit. We agreed, and having our first PLC client let us get a second PLC client which was for thousands (our first real break.)

With the work we saved up and spent about £5000 on equipment (that we have currently.)

Our work is getting better, and our commissions will enter the 5 figure range this year. We also were granted an office space by a charity that respects that most our work is for charity clients. While a local TV company has provided us with free equipment to help us (as they find our companys remit quite ambitious given our humble origins bless em')

The most important thing to do is to get a registered business to be ur client, even if u under offer ur services by 99%, it does not matter, you need at least 1 on ur cv if ur gonna get ur first break. Cos its not ur first business client that makes u ur first 'break' money, its ur 2nd.

Er any of that help!
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: How to start your own Video Production Company -

Post by SgtPadrino »

Only reason that didn't help me is because there's a few production companies around my home town that have pretty much the same story :)

Also, this is a no-brainer, but when you're just starting out and doing small projects like graduation videos and and highlight reels, the caliber of your editing skills is paramount. If you don't live in a big city, then chances are your clients are going to be used to hiring people that do the bare minimum - like just taking the video, slapping on some music and throwing in stills and calling it a movie. So timing everything just right and adding a bit of flair (color correction and transparency effects for example) will go a long way to getting you a higher paycheck, a happy client, and more work in a faster period of time. Just remember to hone those skills - these days they're more of a valuable commodity than many people might think.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Ya id definately say thats the case padrino if ur a video guy doing that kinda what we call in the UK (i dont know if its called this in the USA) 'videography' work, i.e. weddings, graduations videos etc.

We don't do that mostly because it wouldnt give employment to my business partner whose a graphic designer but also cos we've got even more sophisticated equipment at our disposal.

I'll give you a rough idea of our current commission (bearing in mind confidentiality.)

40min documentary, 3x illustrated books and 1 interactive computer CD ROM, all bundled together in a custom package.

Thats the kinda thing our company can offer and even then unless ur in the big city (and ur a big and trusted company) its hard to get massive $$$ doing it (or at least it is for me) tho we, in our more modest market area, get decent enuf money to let me work full time so far on this and my partners part time. Tho this should hopefully change super soon.

Incidentally we'd probably be working full time if we gave ourselves higher wages but for now almost 99% of the dosh goes back into the company (for acquiring more equipment) other profits also go into our creative work. Which is the long term goal for first supplanting then replacing the corporate work altogether.

What I found with clients is, once they believe you are legitimate, then the most important thing is price - however, if you are dealing with a premium client who wants quality first (then if your inexperienced ur screwed anyway.)

So for example, for a 3min promo video requiring basic skills, a premium client might pay $10k or more, and a budget client (if your a 16 year old with an optura) might pay $100 (if ur lucky!)

So, the trick really is to get a few companies under ur belt, but u see im talking about Corporate work not videography.

Videography can typically earn you things like what? in the USA im not sure, but $800 - 1500 for weddings (if u got ur rep) and in theory about $300 a day maybe more or less depending on ur area.

A good way to work is to think how many days your commission will take, this includes realistically the preproduction - production (or simply filming!) and editing. Normally in the UK i've heard the figure £150 a day for this estimate as average however some can charge far far more than that!
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

That's true. I suppose that editing becomes less important as you take on more experienced clients, as they're usually not paying you to just dazzle them :)

Most videographers in the US make roughly that amount of money - it's not a huge amount, but you get enough clients and you can at least pay the bills with it. At this point that's what I'm concerned about, so the hundred bucks every so often from local businesses/private jobs is enough until I'm ready to try and go professional.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Yep sure thing, well the thing is its all good and better to be making ££ $$ doing work that will only help improve your abilities and keep you in practice for the important clients and or the creative work.

I mean the only reason we do this stuff is to fund our equipment and creative projects (and live doing it) and so it doesnt matter if ur earning little, the trick is to earn just enuf to keep at it without having to give up on the 'dream' ;)
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

I'll drink to that :)
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

damn, seems like you're on a successive way! congrats a lot, wish that was a close path to me aswell
www.Systrickz.com (stunts, tricks, martial arts, flips + little effects in some vids)
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

A good videographer can live off of filming weddings. You don't necessarily have to be good at the actual filming, but knowing what to film and how to edit is your selling point. I know a couple people that do this several times a weekend. You should have at least 2 cameras/crew to effectively caputre everything, plus a decent audio system. Editing is done during the week. A higher-end price for a DVD can cost up to $3,000! An exceptional photographer can charge even more!

The hardest part of starting your own production company is it requires money. If you don't have money, it doesn't matter how much talent you have... You need to buy (or rent) proper equipent for each shoot. Unless you're the one man wonder, you will need to hire extra crew. Supposing you can fund everything, the next big question is: Who is going to buy your products? Who is you audience? Why do they like you?

No matter what you plan to do, you will want a repertoire of past works to demonstrate to others you know what you're doing. Nothing is better than experience, and the ability to show your talent off!

:)
AgentDick

Post by AgentDick »

Well, on a similar line of thought, I'm very happy to say I just got my first, wait for it, 3 contracts! I am doing a new commercial and 3D Graphic Sequence for a local bank for a full $1400! Getting a recomendation from the local News did me a big bit o fortune there. I've also got two other comercial contracts with local restauraunts that are paying $600 a piece for a thirty second comercial.

This really is the best way to make money for films, I swear.
Grant

Post by Grant »

The only reason I do not do weddings ( I have for friends) is becuase I find them immensely boring to shoot and edit.
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
Darzeth

Post by Darzeth »

Wow lucky for me im working wih a few other people and we are saving up for cameras. My only problem is what if the people i work with fall through and dont want to do it anymore or the cameras we get die after the waranty. You always have back up plans for everything lol. I also heard nearme theres a place I can rent film quality cameras for cheap/or free as long as i do comunity service. Oddly enough one of the people i work with already has since he coaches the local football team or well co coaches.

You forgot to mention the price and how to on how to get your name, and all that stuff.