Once you finish your movie....

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

You..

Make Extra Copy on DVD
33%
Make Extra Copy on DV
8%
Upload on Youtube, Google ETC.
58%

Total votes: 12

youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Once you finish your movie....

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Once you finish your movie and put it on dvd. Do you make extra copies on a DVD? Copy it to a DV? Post it on Youtube? Again, I am just wondering =].
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Whenever I finish a project, I make one copy on DVD, so that I can watch it on the tv, and show it to others if I wish to. Other than that, I just keep it on my computer, and if I ever need to do anything with it, it's there.

I NEVER post any videos on Google Video, Youtube, or Putfile. I don't trust the whole system, and plus, I'm rather private about the movies I make. If it's something I want to share, then I host it on my own web space, and send people the link. That way I retain total control over the distribution of my work.

Buuuuuuuttttt...that's just me. :)
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

How can you keep it on your computer? Each movie for me are like 2-3 GB

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
Grant

Post by Grant »

I also keep an .avi copy
The Honourable Grant Meredith - CEO Sick Individual Productions
http://www.sickindividual.com
Profile : http://www.innersense.com.au/mif/meredith.html
MasterMike

Post by MasterMike »

youngfilmmaker wrote:How can you keep it on your computer? Each movie for me are like 2-3 GB
When you have 800 gigs of storage, 2-3 gigs isn't too much of a tall order ;)

For my recent project, which has taken far too much of my time, money and effort to just delete / keep a compressed copy of, I've bought it it's own external hard drive where all footage files, effects, project files, mic recordings etc etc will reside forever more. It will sit in a cupboard till I decide to tweak it.
[url=http://www.secret7000.co.uk]Join The Secret 7000[/url]
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

Yeah, I've got 120 gigs on my computer, and two 160gig externals that get me by pretty easily. The movies I make don't come a long very often, so it's not like I run out of space very quickly. I'm not the type to crank out something new every week.

If you don't have an external hard drive, it is something that I highly recommend. :) You will love having it.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

youngfilmmaker wrote:How can you keep it on your computer? Each movie for me are like 2-3 GB
Actually, in order to put a film on DVD with ease of space you should render your film in MPEG-2. A 6 minute film can be reduced from 1 gig .avi to 200mb MPEG-2. So generally this is what I'm doing and it keeps full quality.

But to answer the question, I will render it in MPEG-2 and keep the file on my external drive and then put it on DVD and Google Video (currently under review for YouTube director). Although, since the files haven't been too big (because the past films have only been 1-10 minutes) I'm thinking of putting them on a data disc just in case I have any problems.

If my external drive crashes then all my films are gone.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Do any of you keep the content of the films? Or do you just save the Final Movie File.

-Michael Moore
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Kentertainment wrote:Actually, in order to put a film on DVD with ease of space you should render your film in MPEG-2. A 6 minute film can be reduced from 1 gig .avi to 200mb MPEG-2. So generally this is what I'm doing and it keeps full quality.
But Mpeg2 is a lossy compression format. You will lose quality. In actuality, even DV compression is lossy. True uncompressed will take up approximately 1 meg/frame. Or 10800 meg for a 6 minute movie.

You will be better off saving all the project files, as opposed to simply creating a final movie and deleting all your work.
MasterMike

Post by MasterMike »

^ yep, what he said. You might not notice if you're not doing anything particularly intricate, but MPEG is rather lossy. If you're anything like me you'll inevitably want to go back and tweak some effects later on, and it really stings if all you have to work with is a nasty compressed copy.
[url=http://www.secret7000.co.uk]Join The Secret 7000[/url]
Jperson
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Jperson »

I used to keep it all on my computer but I only have 150gigs storage so I recently burnt most of my short films to archive computer-only dvds. I'm currently looking into getting an extra 1TB (terabyte, sounds cool huh? :mosh:).
[url=http://tinite.com][img]http://onstoryline.com/Atinitefilmsstrip.gif[/img][/url]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

I make a DVD, i used to put things on my own survers, guess I'll start using google video and such now. And then I keep the files on my computer till I have another project to work on, or I mess up windows enough that I need to reformat (what can I say I'm a sloppy user). And I always keep all the tapes in the fire proof safe at my parants house right alongside my birth ceritficet.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Distributing videos on the internet (whether it's in WMV format or YouTube or anything) is one of the best things to happen to no budget movie making! Our John Bunnell video's just hit 20,000 views. That'd have been unthinkable a few years back. I'd have shown it to a few members of my family and friends and then that'd be it.

I do make DVD's/videos on request but when it's online it doesn't happen much.

I keep DV copies on tape and AVI copies on my hard drive. I also have a hard time deleting unedited stuff from my hard drive but sometimes it has to go.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]