Shotgun Mic trouble

A general forum for all messages that don't quite fit into the other forums.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Shotgun Mic trouble

Post by Zacatac927 »

Well i got a nifty Mic Audio Technica... and when i importated some footage i shot to test the audio, it came in Mono track... so i set up Premiere pro to use a mono track, instead on the usual onboard mic of the camera that shoots stereo... (although i will never go back to that onboard mic) but my question is, cause i have the sound as mono... will that lose quality?> should i get a dif. mic?
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Shotgun Mic trouble

Post by Zacatac927 »

bump... anyone?
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

The fact is you want to record in mono, you ALWAYS want to record in mono.

I mean you think about it, recording in stereo could lead to all kind of messy issues when seperating tracks or doing complex sound channel editing (especially for 5.1)

So its not like mono is worse than stereo (as it would be say if you download a sound sample on a computer etc)

Its totally different, professional mics record in mono cos ur supposed to make the stereo soundtracks by editing the monos.

So to cut a long story short read up on sound production and don't fret, ur mic is doing what its supposed too.
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

i see. ok thanks for the update... since i posted this i found out new stuff.. like most prof. shotgun mics record mono,

but, when i import the video with audio, the mono tracks only play in my left speaker, so it sounds like evryone is talking on the left side of the screen, the only way i can get rid of it is to switch the entire sequence track to mono, but then another problem arises, i cannot put anthing stereo in! any remedies?
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

There's no point in recording peoples voices and stuff in stereo, because we don't have two mouths ;)

When we had similar problems I opened the unedited footage in Premiere, duplicated the sound track and then applied a 'flip' (I think it's called 'flip audio' but I can't remember) filter to it, so now one track was providing audio on the left and one on the right.

I then rendered out the whole thing and then edited from that. It means then that you can still edit in stereo, so music etc doesn't suffer
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

yeah, but doesn't the video suffer, you're losing a generation of quality
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

DV is a lossless codec. It only rerenders when you apply filters to it etc, and you'll barely notice any difference

HDV is another matter.
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

the mono tracks only play in my left speaker, so it sounds like evryone is talking on the left side of the screen

Same thing happens to me =[[. But the track is not in the mono. Its in Audio 1. =[
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You record in mono because the microphone is mono, which should always be in just the left stereo track. With a good editing software, you can manipulate the audio however you like.

DV codec IS compressed (despite they claim it is uncompressed). Which is why trying to use a color screen replacement off a DV tape is a pain in the butt.

Anybody who quotes Michael Moore is a retard and should go die.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

I didn't say it wasn't compressed, I said it was lossless. If you edit without adding any filters you loose absolutely none of the quality. With filters, you technically don't loose any quality 'cus every frame is captured at an identical bitrate.

Most compression uses keyframes etc...

Anyway...
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I tend to believe DV compression is lossy though. It always gives me trouble when rerendering. True uncompressed is the way to go until you have reached your finished product. At that point you can compress it however you want.

But then again, his or her editing choice is up to one's own. :)
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Something's going wrong if it's making a hell of a difference! But yeah, you're right :)