HUGE EXPLOSION

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

HUGE EXPLOSION

Post by DEDFX »

Okay, I'm making an explosion scene with Great Grizzly Badasses. I have 2 shells (they are fireworks ment to go into a big pipe) and want to set them off. The bottom of the shell has a propellant so if it was right side up and I lit it it would go into the air and explode. I want it to blow up on the ground. I was thinking of burrying it 6 inches in the ground upside down then lighting it. The shell is around 5 inches big. Any ideas? http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=8/23211241016.jpg&s=x2
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: HUGE EXPLOSION

Post by DEDFX »

please guys...
SpyroClone

Post by SpyroClone »

is there any way to remove the propellent? thats all that i can think of.
"If you don't know what you're doing you can still make it look good."
~Peter Jackson
iamloser999

Post by iamloser999 »

Maybe this would work better, i dont remember where i found it but...

How to make a safe fireball explosion This method of making a pretty impressive looking fireball is unique because it does NOT use any explosives whatsoever. (The fireball is real however and you can get badly burnt from it). However the important thing is that the ingredients are non-flammable and non-volatile and are found in your kitchen!!!
How does it work?? Many huge explosions all over the world occur from non-flammable materials. The most common are in grain silos which have the unfortunate problems of dust explosions. Our fireball maker uses non-dairy coffee creamer...WHAT?? you heard it right! Coffee creamer will not burn if you simply apply a match to it BUT launch it skywards and it creates a mini dust-exlosion and the fat content in the creamer actually burns. What makes it even safer is that the individual particles of creamer burn out almost instantly so when they hit the ground they are already safe. (a bit messy but nothing a garden hose won't sort out).
Simply arrange a length of plastic tubing with a funnel in one end and prop this up against a brick or block. Now take a charcoal briquette or BBQ starter block and get it burning quite close to the funnel. Pour in a small amount of creamer down the funnel and into the pipe. Move to the other end and blow as hard as you can. As soon as the creamer disperses in the air it ignites and produces a short duration but spectacular fireball. You may have to experiment with different creamers too!! The high fat ones seem to work the best. BE CAREFUL the products are inert but the fireball is REAL.
Can't a guy publicly masturbate with out being pursicuted? Help, help im being repressed!-(Original) Clerks, Snowball
reflexive_cinematics
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by reflexive_cinematics »

Are you serious?
[url=http://www.reflexive-cinematics.com][img]http://reflexive-cinematics.com/images/sigbanner.jpg[/img][/url]
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Me? Yes. Its gunna be big so I'm gunna have to do it right after it rains. I already know about that fireball thing and have tried it.
reflexive_cinematics
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Re: RE: HUGE EXPLOSION

Post by reflexive_cinematics »

DEDFX wrote:Me? Yes. Its gunna be big so I'm gunna have to do it right after it rains. I already know about that fireball thing and have tried it.
yeah i mean the creamer fireball thing.... So when fat hits the air it combusts? That doesn't make sense to me. :?:
[url=http://www.reflexive-cinematics.com][img]http://reflexive-cinematics.com/images/sigbanner.jpg[/img][/url]
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Re: RE: HUGE EXPLOSION

Post by UFProductions »

Works damn good, go check out Detonation Films to see it in action. The way it works is that when something becomes aerosolized it exposes much more surface area, and more surface area means faster and easier combustion. The fat content in artificial coffer whitener is high enough to burn, but only if it's entire surface area is exposed. You do still need a point of ignition however, it isn't oxidizing.
And for DEDFX, shitting around with flamable stuff you don't understand is a fantastic way to lose a finger or worse, so as far as your question goes - return the fireworks to the store and find a safer alternative.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Bought it from my cuz.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

The shells are designed to be launched out of a mortar for two reasons, to guide their flight and to provide sufficient pressure for teh shell to achieve burst height. Without the mortar you have an uncontolled rocket propelled ball, with no fins for guiance. You could end up creating one gigantic bouncin bettey. Besides, depending on what kind of burst you have, you are probably not going to get the effect ou want. Most salute type fireworks use flash powder for the pbang, burns out quickly and with a sudden white flash. If it is a color burst shell, well then it's going to look like fireowrks going off rather than an explosion. Don't forget you have probably a black match fuse running from the burst charge into the propellant to deal with if you try to separate the propellant from the burst. Like UFP says, if you don't have a good handle onhow fireworks are built, then you are better off staying safe and not experimenting.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
bretoncrackers

Post by bretoncrackers »

Here's something to think on. The REASON the shells have propellant is so that they aren't anywhere near you when they go off. Consider that, and for your sake, find an alternative.
edinc90

Post by edinc90 »

The mortars you have in the picture are double-breaks, which means that they go up, explode, then explode again higher (using momentum). So if you didn't know this you could have been in some deep (insert expletive here). And I don't think it would look like a "real" explosion because it would probably be colored.
My website: www.edcarlson.tk
Supertrunks65

Post by Supertrunks65 »

I made a Bad mistake. i decided to try digging a hole and putting an artillery shell in it, covering it up and lighting it...........BUT i did not take into consideration that were in a drought so it caught a huge portion of the field behind my house on fire. I went to put it out and I pulled the thing that ravels the water hose so the hose would not spray water so it took me about 5 minutes to put it back on and after i put it out it tourns out to be about 20x10 ft burnt spot. My parents are going to kill me.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

When was this? I'm doing it in a sand pit so its all good.
Supertrunks65

Post by Supertrunks65 »

That was earilier today. SAND PIT Lucky! :)
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

HAHAHA ya. Why would you ever do it in a dry field? Wait till after it rains. At least water down a lil bit of the field then do it. I'm making something bigger than a ping pong bomb this time for the sand pit... I think I'll use a tennis ball 8)!
Supertrunks65

Post by Supertrunks65 »

well I wasnt thinking, but thats the 3rd time ive set a fire in this field!! I dont think i need to play with fireworks anymore for a while.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

So I'm doing this explosion ontop of a sand pit and was wondering how to do this. Theres a shot of people jumping off the cliff then rolling down it (its not that steep) then the explosion. All I'm wondering about is where to do the explosion, should I do it then run back to my house (theres a couple buildings a quarter mile away from it) or should I do it somewhere else. Maybe another cliff far in? Any suggestions about it or some easier ways.
wildstorm
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by wildstorm »

Couldn't you just get some explosion footage and composite it? Buy hey, as long as you excersise caution and safety, its all good :D

And for the love of Pete, why can't I start a new thread in this section??? I wanted to post a composite test clip that I did about a year ago and its not letting me start a new thread!! :(
Visual Effects Artist
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/visualchaosfx
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I have no idea about the thread. I'm not using a stock explosion because I wsnt it to look real.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

Well went out to the garage (had to try the creamer thing) I only had a click lighter handy (couldn't find my torch)...blew some creamer over it..and sure enough...sparkles and a little flame sort of. I am going to give it a good tes this weekend. But in the mean time you guys can enjoy some of the true power of explosions.

Remember kiddies its only a camera trick....yeah thats it...a camera trick.
Worth downloading, but it doesn't do it justice, trust me.....

Explosion
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]