Glass molds

All aspects of low budget special effects.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

opivy342

Glass molds

Post by opivy342 »

hey, im new here. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas where to go to get molds for glass bottles, for molding sugar glass. Thanks!

-Matt
Vor
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Vor »

You could either make them yourself using plaster of paris and a glass bottle or cut a plastic bottle in half, I haven't tried either one though.
bloodymess

Post by bloodymess »

plaster wouldn't work; rule #1 with molds: whenever possible, use a soft mold for a hard cast, and a hard cast for a soft mold.

making fake glass bottles is expensive mold-wise; you might get good results with alginate, but it would be good for only one bottle and I don't know if the heat of the recipe could destroy the mold before the cast is finished. your best bet would be silicone with a plaster shell; expensive, but resistent and reusable.
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com
opivy342

Post by opivy342 »

Great! THanks for the respones! Only problem is i looked all over google, and I can't seem to find anything about any of that. Do you guys know of any sites that might be able to lend a hand?
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Try looking at www.smooth-on.com

They have some good products. If anything, maybe it will give you some ideas.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

In the mold makers handbook I saw a tutorial on this. It had something like layers of liquid latex on the bottle then a 2 part plaster mold around that so you could easily pour andremovie it, rent the book sometime.