Capture through USB

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

SpyroClone

Capture through USB

Post by SpyroClone »

Okay, so in order to transfer video onto a computer most people use a FireWire link, right? Well my computer does not have a FireWire port on it. However, my camera does have an outlet for USB. Is there a way that I can stream video onto my computer using USB. Currently, I am using Pinnacle Studio 10 for editing and it won't recognize a device that is plugged into the USB port. So any help on how I can do this would be great.
"If you don't know what you're doing you can still make it look good."
~Peter Jackson
rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Capture through USB

Post by rhys »

I was going to do that once, but then i heard of all the downsides to doing that.
Just buy a firewire card from a computer store, there like $20-$50 i think.
And doesnt pinnacle come with a firewire card anyway? Mine did... but that might be why it cost $200.
Hide or fight for your life?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I know you can but I'm pretty sure it can throw your audio off and isn't visually effective as firewire.
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

canons have a usb but cannot upload using it... trust me i had to spend about 40 bucks to get a fireware card and cord
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

The USB port on many cameras is just for getting photos and audio clips off. I never use the USB port on my camera. Firewire is better because USB requires tons of CPU resources whereas Firewire doesn't.

Firewire cards are so cheap that USB just isn't worth using.
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

If you were to wait for USB transfer, you'd probally die of old age before you would see your footage. I was lucky enough to have a laptop which came with a firewire port (and a 17" widescreen) and didn't bother with using USB after i tried it around one of my friends. Pinnicle studio comes with a pretty good firewire input and some S-Video ones... i think so any way. You can buy it without the input, but its good to have when you upgrade to Premiere (which you will if you want to start getting serious).
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Want to hear something funny?

USB 2.0 - 480Mbit/s supported
Firewire - 400Mbit/s supported

Crazy, I know. Firewire is still better though, as it offers control of the camera, as well as some other smaller factors.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Skanza

Post by Skanza »

Thanks for the info! I was planning on using my USB port to capture my footage from my DV to the PC
Jimbobsquarepants
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Jimbobsquarepants »

im movie maker you can control the camera using usb if you set the capture settings for "high quality video"
www.freewebs.com/martinman300
no-budget film making.
Skanza

Re: RE: Capture through USB

Post by Skanza »

Jimbobsquarepants wrote:im movie maker you can control the camera using usb if you set the capture settings for "high quality video"
Interesting, I will have to check that out!
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

I used to use firewire to upload all of the video from my camcorder. Then, with a bit of bad luck, the firewire card on my computer became damaged, and I discovered that I could upload the video via USB at the exact same quality. There are no visual differences, it's quite amazing.

So it's possible to use USB, but if you want conveinence on your side, I'd go ahead and get yourself a firewire card. I believe a friend ordered one online for around $12(USA), and it even included a free 6pin - 4pin cable! So it's definitely worth browsing for...