Canon XL2!!!

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

SE7

Canon XL2!!!

Post by SE7 »

Hey guys!! I am probably buying an XL2 this month! If I get it, I'll post some tests. Is there any other XL2 users?? Anyways, I'm just really happy right now.... :D :D
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Canon XL2!!!

Post by DEDFX »

Is it your first camera? Also, im jealous.
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Hehe, no it's not... i have a cheap digital video camera now (under $300). It's my first good quality camera though...
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

So... where'd you get the extra 5,000 dollars?

I hate paying for college by myself :P
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Actually , I bought it on ebay for $1700.

Lol... where do u go to college?
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I'd never spend more than $500 on eBay, I'd hate to get ripped off then feel like an a$$hole.
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Yeah, I was thinking about saving up $3000 to buy it another website, but I saw the XL2 some guy on ebay was selling, and I thought I would try it. It had less than 6 hours of recording time on it, so I ordered it. It's in the mail, and I can't wait until it comes... I'm gonna make so many random videos to test it... lol
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

I go to community college. This year's tuition: 3,200 dollars. This semester's book cost: 450 dollars. That means this year I'm probably going to be spending a total of 1800 on books alone.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

A Canon XL2 for $1700 thats a very very low price... It is very probably a grey market camera, id check it thoroughly regarding its warranties and other fine details :)

But if it is kosher, then thats a great bargain :)
SE7

Post by SE7 »

I read through it, and it looks legitimate. I'll try posting some pics or something when i get it...

SgtPadrino - that's pretty expensive... $1800 on books?? Crazy ...
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Yeah... I'm ready to start selling my body for the cash I need to move out... Christ I'm f*** dying here...
bgswitzer

Post by bgswitzer »

I've been using an XL2 for a while, shot my first flick on one, so just let me welcome you to a whole new level of badass. They make everything so much easier, every shot has a crystal clear quality of professionalism with even the briefiest of lighting set-ups. Just knowing I have one lets me sleep easy at night; I don't plan on shooting with anything else in the foreseeable future.

As for Ebay, I got my first camera off there a couple years ago, an XL1 (for the same price, coincidentally), and in my experience everything worked out smooth. I got a pretty decent camera, used, but quality as promised. If I had to, I'd buy from there again.

Anyway, congratulations on the camera, and get ready to start shooting some wicked s***.
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Hey thanks bgswitzer... It's gonna be awesome! What kinda films do you make with it?
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

man im still stuck using a canon XL1S my shop talked about getting an XL2
F.F.F.

Post by F.F.F. »

I found one on Ebay fo $1500, looks legit.
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

I still don't even have a 3CCD cam yet!

I always say though, it's what you do with it that counts ;)

I'm getting bored of the DV look though.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Yeah, but film has all that... work involved :P
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Well, I am getting the XL2 real soon now, so just hold on for like 2 weeks and I'll post some real good footage.

Ornsack - Yeah, I'm getting bored of the DV look too... thats why I am buying the XL2! With the right settings, you can get a real nice cinematic look to it.

Oh, bgswitzer, I am liking the movie. Nice job!
MikeMoring

Post by MikeMoring »

Congratulations. I own an XL2 and, besides sometimes haven't trouble focusing while shooting hand-held material, it's a beautiful, beautiful camera.
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Thanks. The XL2 sounds like its gonna be awesome! Can't wait! When you got your XL2, did you film a bunch of pointless things to first test it out? I know I will be doing that ... lol
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

You're tired of the DV look? Me too, so I was going to get a Bolex 16mm reflex camera and found out it was around half the price of an XL2, I didn't mind. Then I calculated the price for 10 minutes of film then to have that developed and put on a CD, which cost around $6,000...
MikeMoring

Post by MikeMoring »

SE7 wrote:Thanks. The XL2 sounds like its gonna be awesome! Can't wait! When you got your XL2, did you film a bunch of pointless things to first test it out? I know I will be doing that ... lol
I had actually previously rented two of them for a shoot to mess around and get a feel for the camera before I put the money into buying my own.
SE7

Post by SE7 »

Ohh.. thats cool.

DEDFX - lol, i know, film is really expensive to develop and transfer... thats why im getting the xl2 ;D
chrisgreen
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by chrisgreen »

Is the XL1s any good? I've found one on ebay for £700, i don't have anywhere near the money for it (It'll take most of my student loan). But i'm preying that for some reason they crash in price so i can snap one up, i'd be out filming right now if i could attach an external mic to the mv750i, but when you buy "home movie making" cameras then you aren't gonna have something to make films on.

As for the DV look can't you just change the ratio to 16:9 and use a plugin on after affects?