GL2 CAM CAM

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

GL2 CAM CAM

Post by DEDFX »

I'm thinking about getting the Canon GL2 because it looks nice.

Does anyone wanna agree or disagree with this idea?
S_Dragon

RE: GL2 CAM CAM

Post by S_Dragon »

Yeah deffinatly!!! I'm actually looking at one myself...if only I had money lolz
I have bad Computer Karma...
OutcastJiob
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by OutcastJiob »

If you can afford the GL2, more power to ya! It's, from everything I've seen, an excellent camera.
People shouldn't be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

A used GL1 on ebay goes for under $1000. Personally, I wouldn't get the GL2 anymore, not while theres the HC1 and HC3 out now.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

about that

Are there any hidef cameras out there with better resolution that anyone would reccomend?
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

*Better?* Each serves a purpose. It's up to you to decide if you want...
720p, 1080i, 1080p and up, with the advent of the RED
4:1:1, 4:2:0, 3:1:1, 4:2:2, 4:4:4
8, 10, 12bit color
23.976p, 24p, 25p, 30p, 50i, 50p, 60i, 59.94p

All those are different resolutions, the first being spacial, the second being color, the third being bit depth, and the fourth being temporal. Most HDV cameras are 8bit, 4:2:0. Then you have your choice between 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, and then your choice of framerates, (some being exclusive to PAL or NTSC models of cameras)

The HC1 should be cheaper than the GL2. I think the next step up though from the HC1 is the FX-1, at $3000ish. As I said though, find out what you need. An excellent site for researching camcorders would be DVinfo.net.
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

If you can afford, yes! But whats getting rise is, HD camcorders. Who knows if the GL2 may be alien a few years later?
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

The GL2 has everything I need. I was talking about hidef because I wanted to know which one had better resolution/sharper/better.
Nba185

Post by Nba185 »

A HD would better better in terms of resolution/sharper/better
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
littleOsama

Post by littleOsama »

whats the best kind of camera for someone who is low on money? please respond.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Strange yo posted here, I saw a GL2 on COPS about 10 minutes ago, whats your budget?
littleOsama

Re: RE: GL2 CAM CAM

Post by littleOsama »

About 200 to 300 dollars (in american currency) because I am tryin to buy more than one.
bloodymess

RE: Re: RE: GL2 CAM CAM

Post by bloodymess »

well, there isn't much "best" camera, here, because most cameras under 400$ are pretty crappy, if you want my opinion. you're better to buy one good camera than many cheap ones.
"More blood, More blood! Here, give me the bottle!"
-William Wyler on the set of Ben-Hur

http://darkartifacts.blogspot.com
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

About 200 to 300 dollars (in american currency) because I am tryin to buy more than one.
That is just about the funniest statement i've ever read on this forum! Okay, now that sarcasm is over... the GL2 is an accessible friendly enuf camera, that is utterly no frills and very much a high end consumer camera, (but up a league from what your granny has from walmart) hehe.

Theres no point DEDFX asking for HD recommendations if you know bugger all about HD... Certainly with HD the prices on standard def cameras are and will continue to come down, meaing you may get a bargain yet.

A GL2 or 1 is a good starting camera for any wannabe professional, but what is your budget DEDFX, i mean how much £$£ do you have secure to make this purchase, and ill give you some + and - recommendations.
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Anything below $3,000 I guess. It's just a long time ago I knew 3CCD's were good, then the size of them, the came HD and theres no pixels but resolution and he lens also matter and IDK where to go for information on cams anymore/
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Jesus $3000 wow DEDFX arent you like 14 or something? where'd u get that money cowboy ;)

For $3000 you could easily get a Canon XL2 or a DVX100b in the USA, these cameras are both infinitely superior to the GL2
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Im 16 and have a job. I have $1,000 already and should be buying a car like any normal teenager but would like to replace my Dig8. I'm getting more money and my parents might pay for half when Christmas (sorry, meant to say HOLIDAYS) comes around.

DVX looks vey nice, but IDK If I really wanna spend 3 grand, maybe next year some prices will fall...?
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Good for you saving your money for a camera etc, I really respect that kind of dedication, and if id done that when i was 16 god knows how much more progressed id be in my career now...

Righto, some recommendations for you mate, let me see...

First of all, be careful to buy a camera from an authorised dealer in the USA, as you don't want any of the so called grey market cameras (with far away warranties) that appear much cheaper on a huge amount of online retailers (and ebay sellars.) So for a start buying $1000+ camcorder is a risky business. Whatever make you buy from, be it Panasonic, Canon, JVC or Sony, get from them a list of their authorsied dealerships.

A good example is B&H in NYC, they are among the most respected camera dealerships.

Also when buying 2nd hand, you have to be careful (for wear and tear that you don't see on the outside of a camera, namely the wearing of the heads, that can be costly in repairs in the long term.) Likewise any real bargains to be had will always be with ex-demo models (or so called lol.)

One of the safest places to buy 2nd hand DVX100 cameras is incidentally the http://www.dvxuser.com/ This is the user forum, and its market place section is regularly used by forum members. (These guys worship the dvx and hvx like a religious cult)

The DVX100A can be had for $2000 (sometimes cheaper) but don't get any with over 200 hours on the head. The A version is almost identical to the B version (which was made mostly to eliminate certain mateials that the EU market frowned upon.) - though it has some very minor other improvements.

The advantages of the is camera are the progressive frame rates (so film like motion) and also cine gamma settings (the way it can be switched to use the same colour palette and light spectrum as film stock.) It also has a variety of read out settings and other manual controls that go way above what other cameras in its league offer. For example even the XL-2 doesn't give you specified numbers for your manual zoom or focus. So in essence this is the closest thing to a digital 'film' camera, and for use outside the box, the guys worship it, cos it gives great results for indy films.

Otherwise I think for more like $2600 - 3000 (I could be off here) you can get an XL-2, also progressive mode, and even better has a 16:9 native aspect ratio (the DVX must crop to get it) However, the XL2 doesnt have all the manual elements of the DVX (to the same extent) it is also not using any 'cine gamma' setting, and well to be honest while it is a superior camcorder (it is not so ideal for indy filmakers) unless your really competent and trained in the use of the camera (by which it is then superior.)

Personally I think you will be able to grab a great bargain on a DVX100A (or even B) for around $2000. With that you will have the closest thing to a film camera (form the world of digital.)

Prices will fall but they will level off at around $1600 at the absolute cheapest for the DVX's (if they ever reach that figure.)

To note, Sony equivelants are good but do not have progressive frame features, and do not really attempt to be 'film like', while at that they are more expensive (these include the Sony DSR 170 and the new FX1 and Z1 HDV models.)

I would say HD is not something you need to worry about at present, but that also you should bear in mind, that your camera should retain most of its value, if you want to resale in about 6 - 12 months time.

That help!?

PS
ALOVE, I cannot believe you seriously mentioned the RED Camera in this forum as if that choice was even remotely within the realm of possibility hehe. Thats like me suggesting that DEDFX has to choose between the Sony F900 or the Panasonic CineAlta too...
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Yeah, thanks for taking time to help me. I'm really thinking into getting the 100A but I guess I'd have to get it used which I don't want to do unless it's necessary. When did they stop making the model and do you know of any stores that might carry it?

Also I've heard that I could bring someones cam to some pro shop and have him check it out to see if it's working correctly for a small fee, is that possible?

edit: IDK why but its only a couple hundead dollars cheaper here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006D ... F8&s=photo
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

lol I know DEDFX, its crazy but see the 3779 price for the version A (the older one) if you check amazons price for the version B its 3339 (much cheaper)

The prices for the version A is more expensive at retailers only because they are more rare now, why this should be I am not completely sure. The version B is very slightly superior, so check for ex-demo models, but really, getting a 2nd hand version A should cost approx $2000.

Buying 2nd hand can be safe at a reputable place, the market place for dvxuser sees loads of deals made between members. Just check whats for sale, (how many posts they have made) and enquire etc. Look for a guy that has sold before perhaps and make the necessary enquiries. I would buy from that particular forum (and many do) like i say, the dvx100 has a cult around it, and that is panasonics official user forum for the camera.

So most stores selling the vA may surprisingly sell them for more than the newer version, which I think came out approximately 16 months ago.

Also if you want to enquire for recommded USA retailers for the DVX check the DVXUSER forum because these guys will totally know 'where itz at' lol
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

If you get a DVX, it just may be the only camera you ever need....

Clickie