your thoughts

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

DAZMAN
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

your thoughts

Post by DAZMAN »

Hey, haven’t been to this site in years, good to be back. I have a budget of around 5000 (pounds). I am up grading from an xl1. (which is for sale if anyone is interested. I have narrowed my choice of camera to two models

1) Panasonic AG-HVX200
2) JVC GY - HD100/GY-HD101

Now completely putting out of your mind the expense of P2 cards, which would you go for?
www.x-21.tk
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: your thoughts

Post by Magic-Man »

hey, i am very interested in your xl1. How much are you asking for it. To be honest, i think an xl1 is out of my price range but what is your offer (pm me with it). Oh and both the cameras are great, get both :)
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: your thoughts

Post by ALove »

I'd take the HD100 over the HVX anyday. Interchangeable lenses, a higher resolution (HVX can only resolve about 960 by 540, and no where as near as sharp as the JVC at its native 1280 by 720), and no damn P2. I can get an entire hour on one Mini DV tape, rather than like 12 minutes or whatever before having to dump to a computer. If I really need the 4:2:2, I can go out via componet to a computer.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
DAZMAN
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by DAZMAN »

A Love, i agree with you about the interchangable lenses, but your wrong about the picture quality. the hvx shoots at 1080i same as the jvc and as with the jvc it can shoot true 24progresive. They also both have varible frame rates, the p2 thing is a bit cr** but the thing that gives the hvx a better picture quality than the jvc is that you can crank it up to 100mbs instead of the jvc's 19mbs or the xL H1's 25mbs.

c.c If some one said to me "danny, here is 1000 shiny pounds" i would reply "my friend, here is a shiny canon XL1 (with charger, battry, remote, carry case, 3 filters ect) for urse to keep forever".
www.x-21.tk
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ALove »

True the HVX shoots at 1080i, but it can only resolve about 540 lines. So in a way, its redundant information. The JVC can resolve exactally 720 lines. I'm looking for my source right now, I'll edit this post when I find it, but coincidentally, the HVX is the camera that resolves the lowest resolution of all the main HD cameras out there.

-EDIT-
Here it is
http://www.dv.com/print_me.jhtml?articleId=177103305
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
Magic-Man
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Magic-Man »

Quote: c.c If some one said to me "danny, here is 1000 shiny pounds" i would reply "my friend, here is a shiny canon XL1 (with charger, battry, remote, carry case, 3 filters ect) for urse to keep forever".

mmmmm, i think i might have to do that. Its either that, or get a brand new hc3 :). Also, i am not sure when i will get the money which will probably take me a month or two and i don't want to keep you waiting.
:(