PD-150 picture quality problem

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Pubicface

PD-150 picture quality problem

Post by Pubicface »

I've done a few shorts on my Sony PD-150 and it always looks good in editing but once i play it on my tv it looks like @$$. The picture just doesn't look clear and sharp like it did in editing. Could there be a way to adjust the pixels in the camera when i shoot or in editing to make it look better on a larger screen? Any help on this matter would be apprecieted, (since i am only guessing it has something to do with the pixels).
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: PD-150 picture quality problem

Post by Epsilon »

Did you export it at the correct frame time?
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

Make sure the gain isn't too high...
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

What are your export settings, compressor, bit rate etc... what editor are you outputting it with? Unless you are doing a lot of processing on the images, then it should be every bit as sharp on the TV as it is on the editor.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Pubicface

Post by Pubicface »

I feel like a moron sayin this but i never knew about compressors and what not. All i know is I'm usin Sony Screenblast Movie Studio (the predessesor of Sony Vegas), and in editing i've been doing alot of toying around with the look, upping the contrast and other things. And i didnt know you needed the right frame rate to export it well or how to achieve this frame rate. Basicly i am changing the look in editing if thats what ya mean by processing them but i dont think upping the contrast or making it darker woulda degraded the image quality. Then again idk.
http://www.farmaggio.com
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

It can depending how much you modify. Not having any idea how screen blast work, I have no idea what format it is being output in. Check and see what the export options are, what are you outputting to to play it on the TV? The color space of a computer monitor is different than teh color space of a television. You could be over the top with tthe whites if you are changing contrast etc. if you are shooting on a 150 - use the custom presets to set up the color levels you want, rather than trying to achieve it in post. I just did an infomercial for a chiropractor. Some of the video he wanted to use was provided by anopther person because he didn't want to pay us for an extra day of shooting and the travel to pick up some of the shots he wanted to use. These required a lot of color correction to match the stuff we shot, and definitely reduced the image quality some...
The UNDERGROUND
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The best way to preview what it will look like, is to get a small TV monitor and hook it up to your computer or camera while editing. You should be able to to view your work on the monitor.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

It can depending how much you modify. Not having any idea how screen blast work, I have no idea what format it is being output in. Check and see what the export options are, what are you outputting to to play it on the TV? The color space of a computer monitor is different than teh color space of a television. You could be over the top with tthe whites if you are changing contrast etc. if you are shooting on a 150 - use the custom presets to set up the color levels you want, rather than trying to achieve it in post. I just did an infomercial for a chiropractor. Some of the video he wanted to use was provided by anopther person because he didn't want to pay us for an extra day of shooting and the travel to pick up some of the shots he wanted to use. These required a lot of color correction to match the stuff we shot, and definitely reduced the image quality some...
The UNDERGROUND