Filming with DVC

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

copydog

Filming with DVC

Post by copydog »

I am shooting with a low-end, Sony Handycam DCR-HC20. Now, even though I only spent $500 on the camera, it still shoots a pretty good picture, and runs on the DVC tapes.

Now, I have no problem getting the film captured from my camera, through the firewire, and editing it with either Adobe Premiere 6.5 or Magix's Video Deluxe 2.0 Plus.

I just need to know how I can take the edited footage, and place it back onto the tape!

Any suggestions?
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Filming with DVC

Post by UFProductions »

Through Firewire? Yes, should be no problem.

EDIT: Sorry misread the question. From my understanding most video editing programs will do this. The only one I have experience with is Pinnacle, where it is as simple a selecting Export>>Export to Tape.
Last edited by UFProductions on Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

If you have access to Windows Movie Maker, import you edited video into there. Place it in the timeline...blah blah blah...Once you have your video all ready, go to file, save movie. It will come up with a "Movie Location screen" you should be able to select DV Camera. If its hooked up through firewire, it should save it your camera just as you uploaded it! Let me know if this process works for you...

Rep
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

Pinnacle uses that too.
mickcar73
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mickcar73 »

hey rep22, do u need windows movie maker 2 for xp to do that? i have the old version 1.0 or somethin
redkorn

Post by redkorn »

yai use a sony dcr-HC40 and its great! no problems and impressive quality for a 1/3 ccd
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

mickcar73 wrote:hey rep22, do u need windows movie maker 2 for xp to do that? i have the old version 1.0 or somethin
Umm...Actually, I dont know...When I first got my computer I downloaded Service Pack 2, which if you dont have, I'd suggest getting. I've never messed with version 1.0. Did you try it?
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

If the camera supports DVin, it shouldn't be a problem with MAGIX. I don't use the english Version, so my menu may differ a bit. Goto
File
Export Movie...
As DV-Avi

It may be a bit confusing since it will ask you for a saving path, but I think it will only save it for temporary purposes or something. After the mixdown it will try to initialize the camcorders remote function and save the video on the camera.

BTW you need to set the camera to Replay Mode, not Recording Mode.

Not sure if it works the same with DVC tho (Or is this MiniDV compatible?).