Canon XL H1

Post by ALove »

[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Canon XL H1

Post by UFProductions »

Looks sexy, but I kind of have to agree with the first comment in that pages thread.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
andrew_107

RE: Canon XL H1

Post by andrew_107 »

I can't see to many independent film makers choosing this camera over the new Panasonic HVX200. Whilst the Canon does have the option of interchangeable lenses I still can't see to many people choosing it over the Panasonic with 1080/24p and variable frame rates for $5,995.00.

Also I wonder how the people who paid alot for the XL2 not to long ago would feel about this.
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Re: RE: Canon XL H1

Post by ALove »

andrew_107 wrote:I still can't see to many people choosing it over the Panasonic with 1080/24p and variable frame rates for $5,995.00.
It has HD-SDI out and more ways of recording than one (P2 media). Personally, I dont like the idea of the only option being those $2000 P2 cards. HD tapes cost $70 each, and with a HD tape recorder and the XL H1 you can get uncompressed 4:2:2.

Heres how I look at it:
HVX-200
Only format is P2 and you'll end up spending the full $10,000 for 20 minutes of recording. And your done. No more weddings or outings or day long shoots.
XL H1
First off, the Optics are almost guaranteed to be better. One of the strengths of Canon. You also the ability to record out of the HD-SDI (at uncompressed 4:2:2) directly to your computer with a Blackmagic card (589.95 at B&H), or a deck and record in many different formats, including DVCPRO-HD or HD-CAM (Keep in mind these decks are insanely expensive, if you think $21,499.95 is expensive, but you could probably rent one for a day for your greenscreen shoot, probably around $500 a day). It looks much easier to archive than with P2 and a Hard Drive. I'd also have the option of going to the local pharmacy and buying a pack of Mini DV tapes for $12. And the lens is interchangeable. :D

Technically, the 24p on the XL H1 is not exactally 24p, but im hearing a 24p signal can be retrieved in an editing program, like the XL2 or DVX-100. (via 2:3 pulldown)

Also, the HVX-200 does not have variable frame rates, that's a varicam only feature. Most likely it has integers like 2fps, 4fps, 8fps, 12fps, 24fps, 25fps, 50fps, and 60fps. Also it only does these framerates in 720p mode.

The amazing thing with the XL H1 is it could probably be hot-swapped with a $50,000 camera (of course with a different lens) with a completely negligable difference in picture quality.
andrew_107

RE: Re: RE: Canon XL H1

Post by andrew_107 »

I agree with your points but it does come down to personal preference I guess. The interchangeabke lense doesn't mean anything to me because I would rather buy a $2000 P2 card than a $20 000 lense.
Also the P2 card will grow and grow. In the future there will be 128gig cards, allowing for a much longer record time.
Personally for filmaking I would choose the Panasonic but seriously, we haven't seen any footage from either, they both could suck (which I highly doubt haha).
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Re: RE: Canon XL H1

Post by ALove »

Personally, for me at this point, it doesn't matter, because they're both way out of my price range. Maybe after college when they come down in price I'll invest in a HD studio. (Long way away, I'm a sophmore in HS) :P