interlace lines

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

interlace lines

Post by DEDFX »

I have these lines and don't know how to get rid of them. I have Adobe Premiere 6.5. My camera's fine and I'm using WinDV. Please help.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: interlace lines

Post by Epsilon »

There should be a deinterlace option available in the export movie dialogue box.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Just a quick tack on question:

If you select deinterlacing on the footage, then export to AVI (Audio Video Interlaced), what will happen? Will you computer explode or something, franticly trying to display both interlaced and deinterlaced video?
reflexive_cinematics
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by reflexive_cinematics »

Nothing happens. Not that I know of. A lot of times what i do is capture my footage, convert it to 24p, and then export to tape and recapture. Never have any problems
[url=http://www.reflexive-cinematics.com][img]http://reflexive-cinematics.com/images/sigbanner.jpg[/img][/url]
crossfire
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crossfire »

im gonna go ahead and guess here, but by Audio Video Interlaced i think they mean that the audio and video are interlaved between each other (as in connected, i dunno) rather than interlacing the video, im not quite sure, but thats what i always thought that meant
You blithering, blathering, bloody, back-stabbing b*tch
xander-prd

Post by xander-prd »

Sorry to sound dumb - but what is interlacing?
[url=http://www.jowka.com][b]Jowka-Dot-Com[/b][/url]
[b]JOWKA[/b]
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I'm talking about whenever there is movement there are these lines that make it look horrible.
bretoncrackers

Post by bretoncrackers »

thats because when you're exporting or importing you've chosen to play the fields in the wrong order or youve chosen "progressive" when you shot interlaced. Find out if your camera shoots the lower or upper field first, and when exporting and importing, make sure the frame/field options match those of your camera.
TheJethro

Post by TheJethro »

There are two different kind of ways screens project an image. Interlaced or progressive. Interlaced is what is used with older televisions. Computers use progressive. The difference is that in interlaced screens the electron gun scans its sharp electron beam from left to right every other line, then goes back to the second line and does every other line to make a complete frame. The progressive types shoot the beam left to right, but one line after another w/o any skipping. This all happends in a 60th of a second so you can't tell, but in DEDFX's case there is something wrong going on and you can see it happening. I have never run into the problem though. Good Luck.
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

You have to ask yourself: do you produce your movie for computers only, or for TV Screens including Video BEamers and DVD Standalone Players. If you want to play it on a TV screen, you should keep the interlacing lines intact. If you deinterlace it the image quality will decrease. Deinterlacing usually blurs the video. YOu should ignore interlacing lines during edition. When you have competed the movie and burned it on a DVD, then watch it on TV, you'll see the lines are gone. Now you still can deinterlace a copy of the finished movie.

As Jethro said, these lines represent half frames. THe camera is recording half of a frame 60 times in a second. Every odd time it records the odd lines only and every even time it records the even lines only. 2 half frames will then be combined in one full frame. Your Editing Software will then display fullframes only. The reason why you see the lines on a full frame is the fact, that every other line was recorded at an other time, the odd lines where recorded 1/60s later than the even lines. The TV will then play them in full speed and will re-separate the even and the odd lines to half frames again, so you won't see any lines, but full motion AND full sharpness.

MiniDV Cameras do record in the "Bottom Frame First" Format, TVs will expect the same format (Also from DVDs). So all you have to do is leave the interlaceing unaltered, Bottom Frame First.

Sometime people accidently swap the lines, eg. by recording BFF (Bottom First) and saving it as TFF (Top Frame first). THe result will be an extremly jittering motion. So make sure to keep the interlacing order intact.