Two Capture Questions

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Two Capture Questions

Post by Vamp »

I have two pieces of footage on the same tape, one was filmed with SP on and SVHS-ET (SVHS-C emulation on VHS-C tape) enabled, I capture this footage in DV AVI PAL (720X576, even though it's analogue video) and it looks great, very clear and perfect.

Then I have footage shot on LP with no SVHS ET but capturing with the same settings gives me a lot of those inerlace lines on fast movement, which looks terrible, the first footage also has fast movement but none of those lines!

Could taping the first footage in higher quality settings than the second one be the reason that the captured quality is so much better?

Also, Whenever I try capture with S-Video, I always wind up with this weave looking pattern over my video... I've tried many different leads all giving the same problem, how ever a S-Video to RCA lead works fine. Is this a problem with my capture cards S-Video In and not the camera's S-Video Out? Any suggestions on getting rid of this pattern?

Capturing in RCA to RCA is perfect too.
www.neverdead.co.nr
wildabeast009

RE: Two Capture Questions

Post by wildabeast009 »

I think can answer your first question for you. Those interlace lines are probably there becuase you shot with LP. The LP setting on your camera makes the tape run much slower, allowing for a much longer recording time, but it sacrifices the quality. I have run into this problem on my S VHC-C camera. Not the interlace lines, but the quality goes way down. I'm not sure this is the technical reason exactly, but I am almost postive, unless your connection was loose, that this is the source of the problem. I'm not sure about the weave pattern though.
You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game. -Cal, [i]The 40 Year Old Virgin[/i]