Am I being scammed?

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Am I being scammed?

Post by rep22 »

I'm sure many others of you have encountered this before, but I wanted to know what the deal is. I did a Google search on "Canon GL-2" (and its not only that camera, others produce the same result) and I see links for sites that are selling the camera in the $2000+ range, and then I see ones in the $1000-$1500 range. I've checked out both places, and there doesn't appear to be any obvious differences. Is there something wrong with the cheaper cam? Are these sites trying to scam me?

I'm just curious if anyone has purchased through any of these types of online venders, and noticed any problems of any kind? Just some info I'd like to know, so I dont go getting scammed on a bad cam. thanks!
ALove
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Am I being scammed?

Post by ALove »

Most likely, check http://resellerratings.com to see if they are.
[img]http://acemedia.sandfalls.com/banner.jpg[/img]
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Am I being scammed?

Post by BrownCowStudios »

Usually the scam sites are selling grey market items, or they'll sell a camera alone without a battery, charger, A/V cables, etc.
Erm... yeah...
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

whats the grey market?
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Camcorders made in other third-world countries. Quite often they're okay. But if something breaks you don't have a warranty or anything. It's taking a small chance.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

'Grey Market' can also refer to products that are made anywhere but your own country. To us in the UK 'Grey imports' can refer to stuff from the Far East or the USA. Some companies offer world wide warranties. ie it is valid where ever you are. For example if you buy a VW car in Europe but live in the UK you still get a Europe wide warranty.

I would stick to well known websites where you have got definite proof that customers are happy with them. If you can't find positive remarks in forums, message boards etc then avoid.
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

oh ok, I've never heard that term being used before, but thanks for clearin that up. I had heard of cases of people buying from these sites and the product was fine for about the first month, then it went bad, and they contacted the site and they wouldnt do anything for it.

I suppose that's pretty much what Epsilon said. It's kindof tempting though when you see a price that much lower than another of the same product. but then again, makes ya feel kinda uneasy to purchase...
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I would e-mail the person and ask for what EXACTLY you get for the stated price of $XXX.XX. Some dealers are quite sneaky and the cheap price is only for the camcorder, itself, whereas the price is valid only if you buy the accessories that cost an amazingly high $2 grand or something. Sometimes people realize this too late after they commited to buying, then they've spent more than the retail price!
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

ok sounds good, thanks Epsilon!
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Epsilon wrote:I would e-mail the person and ask for what EXACTLY you get for the stated price of $XXX.XX. Some dealers are quite sneaky and the cheap price is only for the camcorder, itself, whereas the price is valid only if you buy the accessories that cost an amazingly high $2 grand or something. Sometimes people realize this too late after they commited to buying, then they've spent more than the retail price!
General sequence is to
1) Place your order
2) A day or two later you get an email to "Call to verify your order"
3) Hard sell for batteries, and other accessories at jacked up prices.
4) If you do not purchase the accessories, "The Model" available at that price suddenly becomes back ordered for 4 - 8 weeks...
5) You cancel order..
6) The vendor eventaully credits your card back the purchase price, perhaps less a cancelation fee that was infine print, bottom line is tho your money sat in their account for several weeks BEFORE they refunded it to you, they collected interest on it.

Bottom line is if the price is considerably lower than what you can purchase for at B&H, then you should begin to question it. There are a couple of vendors who will have better prices than B&H on legitimate products, but not too many and not by much, more than 2 or 3% lower would be hard to imagine. B&H deals in massive volume, don't know how anyone could get better prices on legitimate product than they can.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

One place I e-mailed asking about the product, and they responded two months later when I was already getting it elsewhere. lol
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

i have had that. and they expect you to do buisiness with them!!!
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Oh here's the best part about their e-mail:

dear valued costumer,

please call me at 1800 457-0889.

thank you.

I called him up and guess what, the price that was listed when I first e-mailed them was no longer applied and they wanted me to pay list price! AHAHAHAHAHAHA morons...
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

yep. that corprate clouts for you!
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!