Panasonic NV GS 75 versus GS 120...

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Panasonic NV GS 75 versus GS 120...

Post by jcdenton »

The Pana NV GS 75 is probably the smallest 3CCD camera on earth. I have just bought it and I have to say it's pretty good. Image quality is great. not grainy or noisy, even in low light situations. Of course, byside proper recoding this camera won't offer a lot of features. No surprise when you consider the price (mine was about 600$).

The GS75 has almost the same features as the GS120. There is only one significant diffrence: The GS120 has an original Leica Dicomar Lense, while the GS75 has a "Panasonic Video Lense". Both lenses have the same specs, although the GS75 Models lense is a lot shorter, making the whole camera much more compact.

However, I bought the GS75 in a shop where they told me they offer only the GS75 and not the GS120. One day later it seemed they had a GS120, but didn't know about it. So they offered me to bring back my GS75 and get the GS120 for it.

I am really not sure if it's worth the troubles, if the Leica Lense is so much better at all.
One thing is for sure:
Both cameras use a 3CCD chip that has only 340K * 3 Pixels. Practicly this means it is less than eg. a 720*576 Pixel PAL Resolution (that is 410K!), so the image may be stretched slightly and become a bit unsharp.

The NV GS 200 (that costs about two times as much as the GS75) indeed HAS 3*410K Pixel. Nevertheless, the image quality is still very good on the 3*340K Models. (PS: The GS 150 Model also offers 3*410K Pixels, but is a lot cheaper! (seen for 563£) I think it would be the perfect choice, but I couldn't find one)

The 3CCD Chip is the same in the GS120 and GS75. So it's no decision criteria.
Also, the Model he offered me seems to be a presentation model, didn't seem to be new, while the GS75 that I already got was new and works perfectly. I don't know if it's worth the risk and troubles.

How much do you think is a Leica Dicomar Lense better than a lense that Panasonic is using as a replacement for it lately?
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Panasonic NV GS 75 versus GS 120...

Post by jcdenton »

Ok, it seems like I have to decide this myself. Is it low traffic or did you guys take too much ritalin?
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: Panasonic NV GS 75 versus GS 120...

Post by jcdenton »

Ok, probably somebody cares about, here's the end of the story:

I went to the shop and the guy gave me the GS120 for my GS75 (tho the GS120 would cost more, but they discontinued selling the 120 version, so it was sold for the same price as the GS75, however).

I went home and tested the camera - shock! This one had much MUCH more noise! Although the Lens was a Leica, and therefor it should be beter than the other one. I couldn't see any diffrence. All in all the picture seemed of a lot less quality then the one of the cheaper GS75.

So I went back and fortunately the guy gave me the GS75 back (he became a little confused, but anyhow). Now I got the Model NV GS 75 and I am extremly happy with it. If I compare this cameras image quality with the 5000$ Sony cameras we used in a semi-pro doc production company, I have to say in light sensitivity and low noise behaviour this little Panasonic Camcorder is as good as the Sony Models. Although it uses only 3*340K Pixel, the image is nevertheless reasonably sharp. Of course, it cannot offer all the features of an expensive camera. And I also miss a manual audio recording level feature, but hey - it's NO-BUDGET and I try to make the best out of almost nothing.

For people with a small Budget I can honestly reccommend the GS75 and for a few hundred more the GS150.

EDIT
Again I have to say the GS75 is absolutely unbelievable! I have just tested it in a real low light enviroment (eg. too dark to read a book!) and it has pretty much NO noise at all! You can use this camera with practicly NO additional lights. Walk into a Pub and film. The Pic's even brigther than what you see with your eyes - without noise! (of course, not using any slow shutter or Infrared tricks!)