Fast speed camcorders

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

ct_bullet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Fast speed camcorders

Post by ct_bullet »

i have seen and heard of camcorders that are able to shoot at 1000fpm therefore able to slow clips down, what are they called, as anyone got one and are they avaiable for average people to purchase on the internet etc.
movie fanatic

http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com/
BrownCowStudios
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: Fast speed camcorders

Post by BrownCowStudios »

There are some new HDV cameras coming out that have the ability to shoot 60p, along with 24p and 30p. Higher end HD cams should also allow variable frame rates (usually just 24p, 30p, and 60p). Other than that, I've never heard of a "camcorder" than can shoot higher frame rates, but any film camera will allow this (though not usually up to 1000fps).
Erm... yeah...
ct_bullet
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ct_bullet »

have you not seen any television programmes stating that 'we shot the film at ultra high speeds to catch every moment, here it is in slow motion' etc etc. i'm sure they exist
movie fanatic

http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com/
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Yeah, most people use them to film explosions so that they can slow them down smoothly later, like when they blew up a model White House in Independence Day, they used a 1000fps film camera. Never heard of a camcorder that does this, though.
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

Never heared of DV Cameras that are capable of filming at high speeds, but older SVHS Cameras may do so in rare cases.
But the slowmotion stuff you see in TV (eg. Football replay) are done with special cameras, real expensive equipment.
For indy creations you could try to use an interpolation software like "Motion Perfect". On the latest issue of the papermag "chip" (ww.chip.de)'s CD-rom was the full version 4.03 of it, btw.
Depending on the material you may get decent results with interpolation. You may also mix two copies of eg. 16*interpolated slowmotion clips, where one of them starts 8 frames later (to hide the frequently blur effect that is a sideeffect of interpolation).
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

There are no high speed cameras available within any means cheap. I've seen some really nice industrial cameras the record frame/millisecond, but those are around the $10,000 range and in black and white. If you want color, I imagine it is a lot more!
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

I've just seen, JVC has something called "Live-Slow" in ther new corders. I think it must be more than just playing a shot with low speed. from the documentation:
An exciting new feature available on select models is JVC's exclusive Live Slow feature that for the first time makes it possible to record slow motion images and play them back with real-time sound. In addition, footage shot at normal speed can be played back in slow motion with real-time sound. Live Slow is ideal for playing back and enjoying hard-to-see moments because the speed is one-quarter of normal playback speed. Scenes can be shot in Live Slow with the press of a button, and the footage will be recorded in slow motion. Live Slow is available in all of JVC's new camcorders with the exception of the Compact Series GR-D250 and Ultra-Compact Series GR-DF430.
from: http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/ar ... _2267.html
it's not 1000 fps, but it seems like it could be 240 fps.