miniDV, Betamax, 8mm, 16mm, 35mm...

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Caveman

miniDV, Betamax, 8mm, 16mm, 35mm...

Post by Caveman »

Heya people!

In response to the thread surrounding HD cameras I was wondering if anyone here shoots on Betamax or anything other than miniDV

Let's all face it, miniDV is pretty rubbish... well it is!

so I was wondering if anyone here's actually gotten past the miniDV stage and if so what're the other mediums like to work with?

cheers,
John
LiegeCentrino

RE: miniDV, Betamax, 8mm, 16mm, 35mm...

Post by LiegeCentrino »

I have a Bolex 16mm camera but have yet to use it. I have the film but it's finding the time and the money for the processing fees...
Ooh, french maid. Didn't expect me home from the whipped cream store so soon did you? And who's your lady friend? - Master Shake, ATHF
xander3000

Post by xander3000 »

i 1shoot on a centuries old analogue, and transfer thru a tv card. Cant afford the fancy digi camcorders yet:(
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

A good DV Camera maybe makes things a lot easier. With Film (eg. 8mm) you still need to digitize each frame. That's costy, unless you film it from a canvas using your DV Camera...
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Film is extraordinarily costly to develop. If it takes $16 to develop a 36 roll of 35mm film, That's roughly $2/frame. For an minute's worth, it will cost you about $360. Now figure two hour's worth... okay, so 35mm is out of the question... 16mm is a bit cheaper, but still adds up. 8mm is exactly half with 16mm costs, because it's 16mm sliced in half.

Now compare to a miniDV tape, for $8.99 at BestBuy... so really tape IS the way to go for the majority. Beta tapes, relatively, obsolete. It's hard to find good beta equipment for a decent price.

PLUS all the high end films and tapes are still analog. MiniDV tapes are digital tapes. So trying to "upgrade" really puts you backwards in technology. Figure within a couple decades, very few, if any, Hollywood motion pictures will be shot with film. I'm right here in the middle of it all, I can see this transition slowly happening. I swear actors will eventually start to be replaced with digital actors.