multiple cameras/screwed up firewire

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

joe

multiple cameras/screwed up firewire

Post by joe »

Hey all.

ive been able to capture fine lately with 3 different cams on my computer. the other day, i moved around my comp setup and afterward, my camera stopped being able to send video to my pc. and whenever i turn on VTR mode, it always says DV IN already, without the firewire cord plugged in. So, I tried 2 other cameras on the computer and they won't work either. so, i figured it was my pc. then, i took 2 of the cameras to a friends house and tried them on his, and they still didn't work. so i just can't imagine that my pc and 3 cameras all screwed up at one time. is there some way that the computer corrupted the cameras possibly? anyone know what the problem might be? any help is super appreciated. Thanks.

Joe
tallman_house_pictures
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: multiple cameras/screwed up firewire

Post by tallman_house_pictures »

well, mine captured fine. I used a different cord one day, and the 1st cam didnt work. I just thought it was something that didnt matter so i tried my other cam. It didnt work either. I thought it was a problem with the comp, but found out my cams didnt work. It turned out the power cord was messed up (from the comp to the wall) and it wrecked my cams. I later got one back from warranty.

So yes, it is a possibility.
www.tallmanhousepictures.com
tallmanhousepictures@gmail.com
asapfilms

Post by asapfilms »

I'd say you have a major problem and would take them to the place you got them and get al checked. I hope you got that warrenty!!! That really sucks
ASAP Films
www.asapfilms.com
Amateur Screenplays, Amateur Productions
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

The most common cause of blown ports is inserting the 6 pin firewaire plug incorrectly into the PC firewire port. going from a 6 pun on the PC tot he 4 pin on the camera, the two pins not used are the firewire voltage line. If the 6 pin is inseted backwards or incorrectly, then voltage could bbe applied to one of the four data lines that go into the camera, causing damage to the firewire port. Theoretically that would not be covered under waranty, but you can always try.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
joe

Post by joe »

does anyone know if its expensive to get a firewire port repaired/replaced on a camera?
rep22
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by rep22 »

it costs a little over $100
naflish

Post by naflish »

i even heard that on mac G4's , if u didnt unplug the firewire,. instead restart the mac (incase of freeze/crash).. that will burn up the firewire port.. is it true?
}}}{{{{
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

No...