How to capture DVD footage?

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

hannibalsmith

How to capture DVD footage?

Post by hannibalsmith »

I would like to capture footage from DVD's so that I can edit it with my own clips, but I am not sure how to do this (or even if it's possible). I have been looking at the Dazzle Hollywood DV Bridge, and the Datavideo DAC-100. Would these do the job and is there a cheaper way?
blade

Post by blade »

I may have missed the point but could you not rip the VOB files off the DVD and either use those files (MPEG4??) or convert to those used for VCD (MPEG2??? - forgive me, but the old noggin aint wot it used to be), but check out the links on Matt's site (DVD ripping) for tutorials on how to do this.

This would just require a PC with the relevant ripping software and DVD drive (or DVD recorder if you wanted to write the finnished article back to DVD.)

HTH:)
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

(DVD is MPEG2, whereas VCD is MPEG1)

Good idea Blade.

Check out the DVD ripping tutorials on DVDrHelp

You should be able to use Smartripper then DVD2AVI then TMPEGENc to get clips from any DVD movie.

The above web site should tell you everything you need to know.
Mushiman

Post by Mushiman »

Not such a good idea :(

You'll find it very slow to edit DVD Mpeg2 footage, & then it freezes up Premiere, even on the fastest systems.

This is because of the way the Mpg2 file is made, or something. I looked into it as i wanted to put part of the Jaws DVD into a documentary we were making.....I gave up.
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/derkoi][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/derkoi.png[/img][/url]
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

True, but if you use the Smartripper > DVD2AVI > TMPegEnc technique you can encode the DVD stuff into a more edit friendly format.

A flavour of AVI maybe, or even DV. Then you can play with it like any other footage.