Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

John Groshko
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

What should I get: Canon XL1 or GL2 ?

Post by John Groshko »

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a new camera some day soon here, and I'm debating weather or not I should buy an older XL1 or a newer GL2. Right now I'm leaning towards the XL1 because it has a larger 1/3" chip and a FAR better lens - but it is older technology compared to the 1/4" GL2. Also, does anyone know if either camera can record in a 24p mode or something similar? To my knowledge both can record in 30p, but 24p I am unsure of. And, does anyone know how the cameras record in 16x9 widescreen? Is it native widescreen? Squeeze? Crop?... What?

Anyone by any chance have one of these cameras?

Thanks in advance.
My films;

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=groshko
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Jesus man not to sound like a b**ch but really do your homework? I mean your gonna buy a camera maybe... thats a big deal and you should know the specs cos there DAMN easy to find and read...

Anyway im gonna humour your stupidity and say that I would go with the Canon XL-1 everytime. (get an XL1s)

You may find that you can also get a cheap 2nd hand DVX100 or 100A.

The XL and GL2 are not progressive frame rate cameras, they have a frame mode which imitates it but is not the same. (not nearly the same.)

The XL with progressive is the XL-2 which does it beatifully and is also a native 16:9 aspect ratio. As far as i recall the GL2 is not and neither is the XL-1.

Another suggestion (as nobody seems to do this when buying their first camera) is actually to try both of them out. Go to ur store (armed with a tape) they will let u record some footage. Get a feel for it, do your homework.

Unless your expecting some 14 year old from Kansas to recommend what you should spend hundreds of $ on...
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

Both film in anamorphic 16:9. Wouldn't recommend using that though, it distorts your picture way to much.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

With my experience, I would go with the XL-1 because it is far more professional than the GL2. I just used a GL2 (checking out from my work) about 30 minutes ago and in theory, it is very much like a GL1. XL-1's allow you to hook up a an actual boom mic cord (although you'll need a splitter to balance the audio) and personally, if you get an XL-1 I'd invest in a boom-mic, that way you have great visual and audio.

If you haven't figured it by now...go with the XL-1.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

What do you mean about a splitter to balance the audio K? (Cos you don't need anything to 'balance' the audio) with the camera. (If your referring to the audio from boom mics coming in as mono its supposed too.) And films are supposed to have dialogue playing in mono (heavily balanced towards that) not stereo :)
ProdigyFilmsinc.

Post by ProdigyFilmsinc. »

A splitter takes one XLR and puts it into two XLR ports, thus creating a left right audio balance. Tada.
Who ever said digital is better than film should hang for treason.
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Lawriejaffa »

Ya well you DEFINATELY do not want a splitter then, thats all done in sound post/design.

Plus audio is supposed to be recorded in mono (where it can then be edited and used in track editing to create 'designed' stereo.

tsk tsk