What should I get?

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

What should I get?

Post by angusware »

I know people do this here all the time, but I really don't know of anywhere to ask because the people in the shops just want to sell it to me and have never done anything close to what I want to use it for.

I'm looking for a non-professional (because I can't afford it) DV camera with good quality.
Nba185

RE: What should I get?

Post by Nba185 »

Get a sony or a canon. any models in mind?
myspace.com/minshproductions
myspace.com/minsh_com

Selling adobe softwares. PM for more info.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I've had conisistant problems with Panasonic cameras. Canon items are just OK, I don't care for their quality either. I recommend Sony, I love their quality and I have never had a problem with one in the past.

As for prices go, basically the more you're willing to pay the better the camera will be.
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by angusware »

cool, thanks
DEDFX
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by DEDFX »

I'd say either a Canon or Sony miniDV camera with maybe a microphone jack and white balance, that's it. Any other gimmick on a camera is just for show and to make money, sort of like a remote which is only good if yo're making animation and night vision if you film things in the dark without a light on hand.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I manually set the Focus, Iris, Shutter speed, and Gain on my camera every single shot. I wouldn't exactly say those are gimmicks just for show.

Hmm... 4,000 posts. What do I do now?
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Clarence »

Be sure it has a mic in jack, and a hotshoe (for shotgun mics, lights, accesories).

I've tried a consumer Sony camera, and it utilizes a touch-screen for a lot of the functions. I actually find that really annoying, and would prefer physical buttons on the camera.

I have a Canon, and would highly recommend them. Nice manual controls, and most of their models come standard with 16:9 support.