720p Camcorder

Capture hardware, software and techniques

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

720p Camcorder

Post by Almondo99 »

Recently I decided I'd spend the extra cash and upgrade from my DV camcorder. I figured if I decide to do independent filming after high school (99% chance), I'd have an HD camcorder. I am looking for one that is capable of recording 720p, as my computer is not the fastest. Does anyone know of a 720p camcorder? Either the highest resolution being 720 or being able to switch between 1080i/p to 720p would be even better. I've looked at the Sony HDR-HC1, but it's not 720.
Price range is about $1,300 or below, I'll probably try to get it on ebay anyway. Any suggestions would be helpful.
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production
Lawriejaffa
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: 720p Camcorder

Post by Lawriejaffa »

$1300! at 720p, that would take like a miracle man at least if ur wanting a decent one (but even then i dont know many consumers shooting 720p)

Your gonna have to look at double that, and don't get fooled by a lot of those uber low prices on ebay - a lot of em are NYC grey market merchants etc...

You should look at either the HVX200 (which probably blows ur budget) or JVC HD100 (or one of its many incarnations) that would be ur best bet
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

Well after researching a little bit after I posted I guess I had that coming, lol
Would a 1080i/p signal be able to be downconverted when I import it? I'm looking more at the consumer line of HD cameras.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You won't find a 1080p camera for less than $5,000. I've been looking, myself. There are a couple 1080i products in the consumer market, but they are cr**. You want to be looking in the prosumer catalogues for 720p. A decent camera for filmmaking might run you up around $2,500-3,000. But it's well worth it if you are looking for a Good camera.

I don't recommend eBay for camcorders, simply because you don't know what you are going to get. It may not have a warrenty, and you might easily get screwed over.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

1080p is something I couldn't edit, I could but it would be really slow. Are the HD Sony Cams any good? I just need a better quality (preferably HD) camera to film my first feature length film, based on a novel/movie. I don't think my DV cam would do it justice, and this is going to be the biggest movie I've ever done. I found a couple, comments? Recomendations?

http://www.sanyo.com/entertainment/came ... uctID=1239

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-UX1-High ... B000GX43E0

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-HV10-High-D ... F8&s=photo

I really can't afford a high quality camera, I'll probably have to borrow money as it is.