copyright question

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

copyright question

Post by jcdenton »

Is it legal to use parts of a speech of say a former US president in a movie? Since it's a public speech, I guess it should be legal, right?

Like eg. this speech by Dwight D. Eisenhower, including his famous conclusion about the military/industrial complex:
ftp://webstorage2.mcpa.virginia.edu/lib ... 1_0117.mp3
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

RE: copyright question

Post by Epsilon »

It's probably not legal theoretically... but who cares? lol Nobody is going to do anything to you for using his speech in a film. Even big movies like We Were Soldiers and Pearl Harbor don't even credit using footages and sound recordings from former figures. Personally, I would credit it and that's it. If his family wants to sue you over it... umm yeah... I don't think that will happen . :)
NPMAX

Post by NPMAX »

Public speeches that depends on who owns the footage, but here in the US public domain rules most political speeches or historical archives.
ipon70
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by ipon70 »

I think if you are quoting you are ok, if you use the actual footage I'm not sure on that. I don't think anyone really owns it, I mean all the networks and sub networks run the footage and shoot it, so I would think you are in the clear. Its not like an NFL broadcast coming from a company, the government is the public, owned by the public. Switzerland, don't know. I would just call one of your local tv broadcasters and ask them, I would think they would be happy to tell you.
ipon70
www.nova-productions.com
www.lakesideentertainment.com

Latest Game [url=http://www.nova-productions.com/whack_a_bean.html]Whack-A-Bean[/url]
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Again depends who shot it, if it is actual government footage, then the footage is good to go with one provision. If the speech was done while he was president, then it should be free to use, if it was after his term in office, then there could be copyright issues with the content. Remeber even the networks and local broadcast have a copyright interest in any material they shoot for news or other use.Just because it is on the news, does not make it public domain. It often looks like all the networks have the same image during speeches, this is because they often use 'pool' cameras. One or more networks provide the cameras and crews to do the actual shooting, and the others pull from this feed and put together their own sequence. sometimes, if there is only one or perhaps two pool cams, then there may be little to no perceptible difference in the shots. Best bet is to ask from whatever source you secured the video. If it is coming from the web, then you could have some real problems tracking down the actual history of the clip.
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands