Distance Distortion

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

GLiO

Distance Distortion

Post by GLiO »

What would be the best approach to making a sound, such as a gunshot, sound muffled and distorted by distance? I've tried a lowpass but I think that sounds more like it is underwater. I'm using Goldwave btw.
buck_suck

RE: Distance Distortion

Post by buck_suck »

For simplicity sake, try using the sound recorder given on any windows computers. If its a wav file, just add it into the thing and click 'Add echo' - It should do the job relatively well. I think distant gunshots sound better with an echo rather than a muffle but maybe thats just me. But definately if you want something more high quality you'd have to use a sound editor program like Adobe Audition or Soundtrack pro.
[url=http://www.video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3477108537208786893][img]http://static.zooomr.com/images/334268_b06a4b1a6b.jpg[/img][/url]
El Brenty

RE: Distance Distortion

Post by El Brenty »

Echo and reduced volume. A gunshot in the distance is clearly heard, just far away and resounding. No muffling required!
Moderating behind the bushes!
Haydn.

Post by Haydn. »

GliO I have not used Goldwave myself so I dont know all of its features, but using a low pass filter sounds like a good idea. A gunshot would realistically loose high frequencies when heard from a distance, but I wouldnt be too severe with the low pass, you could try cutting high frequencise with EQ instead if using a low pass filter sounds too drastic.

If you're trying to make a gun sound effect seem like it is in the distance - I think reverb/echo is the best way, I guess Goldwave has this feature but Im not sure.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

Go out to an outdoor shooting range.