000 (or, in America, 911) call

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Fewof_lamb

000 (or, in America, 911) call

Post by Fewof_lamb »

For a film i am making, i want to play a fake 000 (the Australian 911) call recording. I would involve a person ringing up in the middle of a shooting and it would be cut off early by a few gun shots. What would people recommend doing to make it sound realistic?

I was planning to use my school's recording studio to record the "Operator's" dialogue and recording the "Caller's" dialogue with a really cheap computer mic i have. Then, i would mix them in Audacity and tweak them a little, possibly adding a little white noise in the background. Would this sound good or too fake?
reflexive_cinematics
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: 000 (or, in America, 911) call

Post by reflexive_cinematics »

Just record both dialogues as best as you can, and as clean as you can. Then in post edit it together the way you want it and then EQ the voices to make them sound like 'phone' voices.
[url=http://www.reflexive-cinematics.com][img]http://reflexive-cinematics.com/images/sigbanner.jpg[/img][/url]
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

I would sugest using the good recording equipment for both, but actually using a phone connection for the caller, ie: have the voice actor in another room on a cell phone, and hold up a telephone to the mike.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Try it. Asking us if it will sound good or not doesn't get you anywhere.
Fewof_lamb

Post by Fewof_lamb »

I wasn't really asking if it would sound good (or that wasn't my intention). I was more wandering if someone had done anything similar and could tell me how they did it
"there's only room for one number one... and i'm that number one!" - Chad Rockman

Davo
Akron Films
Victoria, Australia

E-mail: fewof_lamb@hotmail.com