recording audio

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

iCEbLuEORbitZ

recording audio

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

ok, i've got a crappy trv-720 sony camera, and if i make a big movie, i really want to try to borrow one from the local cable access area (if they let me) however im not positive if this will work, so if i have to use my own piece, i want at least the audio to be fairly good. now i have a nice microphone that i borrowed from my local youth group with permission. its a shure beta 52, on the site its like $350. its made for the kick drum. but i think that would actually work good in movie due to its low frequency pickup, and ive tried this thing and it gets LOW! so, after i finally get a *working* adapter from radioshack (ihate that place sometimes) i want to start recording audio sepreately. i would like to know the best *inexpensive way of doing this.. laptop? buy a hardware recorder? etc.. also, when i watch movies, i dont get how they pick up all those sounds.. like in a war movie, dirt, debris, voices, guns, etc.. is most of this recorded off set and added in? or is alot of like footsteps and talking and stuff all onset recording? (maybe with several mics) i dont know but please give me some ideas.. i think with a good recorder.. or computer program i could get some good sounds from this mic. THANKS! -sorry for such a long post.. :?
Clarence
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: recording audio

Post by Clarence »

In movies, all sound effects are usually dubbed in. For example, if a movie is filming a resteraunt scene, all they record is the voices of the people speaking. Then, they take some plates and forks and record them as well as have some people talk in a low mumble for background noise.

For recording sound, I would plug a mic into your laptop and record that. If you don't have the right jack, then you'll need an adapter.

Try Audacity or GarageBand (for Mac). GB has an awesome feature called Gate which blocks out unwanted noise.
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

alright thanks! i have pc so i cant use garage band i guess, but this microphone is the one that uses 3 pins.. so i got a 3 pin cable. then an adapter from 3pin to a 1/4 inch phone plug, then to get it to my computer, i had to buy a 2nd adapter which is 1/4 to 1/8 inch.. ive bought 2 of these, one makes tons of noise when it is bumped or movde at all (as if u were rubbing the microphone on the carpet or something) the other flat out doesnt work.. now i dont even know if the radio shack guy gave me the right adapter.. now the problem is this mic is a mono mic.. the adapter says mono-to-stereo.. but it says it accepts stereo and plugs into mono.. so it seems to be backwords?? i dont know, but when getting the adapter should i get a mono-mono one. or one that accepts mono and plugs into stereo.. so i get it out of both channels... (which i could do if i tell the laptop to record mono...)??
iCEbLuEORbitZ

Post by iCEbLuEORbitZ »

ok finally i got a worknig adapter and everything is workin good, now i was just wondering, i would want to be recording in 48khz at like 16 bit? im not too familiar with recording bits and frequency, i only know about bitrates. i dont know what frequency to record at, because if i add music to the movie, it is most likely going to be 44.1khz and i know from exprience that ripping 44.1khz music to 48khz makes it sound tinny and vocals get messed up. however my camera records at 32 bit 48khz, but i might not use that audio if i get a laptop with me everywhere... soany ideas? just record it 44.1 so the music will work good too?
windog
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by windog »

good point, I got a sony cam and 250 of sound stuff. It wouldnt work. There was a loud crackle all the time. anyway i found this mini jack plug and it works. It ws all to do woth stereo and mono.
<a href="http://alexmassey.voice123.com">Alex Massey - voice over</a>

I will try to beat any other voice over quote!