Film Music

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Edgen

Post by Edgen »

Thanks! well, I guess you haven't checked it in a while, but it has something along the lines of copyright infringement and is under investigation :o

guess they don't want the lawmen come knocking on their door :)

-j
JRDurban
[url]http://www.edgen.com[/url]
[url]http://www.allmediastudios.com[/url]
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

Originally posted by Edgen
Most "real" musicians don't like what I'm doing but...
Are you kidding? That stuff takes talent! Anyone who says that is not the work of a "real" musician obviously has no idea what they're talking about. Plus you said you play it on a keyboard to import it, right? That's playing an instrument, so....
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
Edgen

Post by Edgen »

ha!! :) Well, I was referring to those guys who goto school for film scoring, grew up around instruments, orchestra and that's the money they use to go buy their groceries and pay rent. Those are the hard workers scrapping by and very particular about their craft.

Of course, I play a few an instruments and have a good understand of how all of them work.. but i just don't know how to play them. Music to them is work. Music to me is play. Its when you cross paths and play is no longer play. its now w.o.r.k and Who's happy at that point? :)

Just my couple of .04 cents.

Listening to other people's music is definitely one of my most favorite pasttimes. And Steve does a pretty damn good job! So filmmakers everywhere... HIRE STEVE! :)

-j
JRDurban
[url]http://www.edgen.com[/url]
[url]http://www.allmediastudios.com[/url]
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

When doing this becomes work then I will have to quit. And by work I mean somthing that just has to be done so that I can eat and sleep, not work like hard because it is always that.
Mushiman

Post by Mushiman »

Yeah, thanks Edgen, i've removed it from the site. Soundclick arn't the only one's who don't want the lawmen knocking in their door :o

I'm gonna be composing more music for our Alien Dawn 2 movie, so that should be fun :)
[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/derkoi][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gelsig/black/derkoi.png[/img][/url]
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

what are the rules for entering copyrighted music in a film festival (like if i were to use a Coldplay song for example). does prize money count as profit?
foxwood
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by foxwood »

Most festivals won't take a film with copywriten music in them, to begen with.
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

damn thats wat i thought. thanks for the prompt reply :)
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Edgen wrote:ha!! :) Well, I was referring to those guys who goto school for film scoring, grew up around instruments, orchestra and that's the money they use to go buy their groceries and pay rent. Those are the hard workers scrapping by and very particular about their craft.

Of course, I play a few an instruments and have a good understand of how all of them work.. but i just don't know how to play them. Music to them is work. Music to me is play. Its when you cross paths and play is no longer play. its now w.o.r.k and Who's happy at that point? :)

Just my couple of .04 cents.

Listening to other people's music is definitely one of my most favorite pasttimes. And Steve does a pretty damn good job! So filmmakers everywhere... HIRE STEVE! :)

-j
What baffles me is how you said you play a few instruments, but dont know how to play them! :lol:

I grew up around instruments! And believe me, you Cannot make a living very well at all by just playing music in an orchestra. Musicians are devoted, talented, and hard working people. But the they hardly get over $20,000 a year. :( That is a little more than a job at McDonalds! Almost every professional musician has a second or third job whether it be teaching at schools or playing nightly gigs.

Film scoring is hard to get in to. Even if you can create astounding works, you need to get your name out into the industry before you will be considered. If you can get your music into just one film, the film does well, and people like the music, well then you are set for life!

I am a composer myself, and I would love to write music in the motion picture industry. Right now, I am trying to establish myself as a musician!
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

i can play the violin... kinda
@seanbagley
Rico

Shamless Plug...

Post by Rico »

Just to chime in here...

If anyone needs an original score for their movie projects, I'd be glad to try and give a hand. I'm by no means a "pro composer", and I certainly do not compose in any genre. I'm much into orchestral stuff and combining it with more "modern" rythms and sounds, and try to cover everything from slow, moody music to action packed. All with various degree of success...

Basically I'm learning to compose and score for movies, so while I admire Hans Zimmer, John Williams and others (Craig Armstrong is the absolute favourite), I can only dream of coming close to that...

I do have samples on line, but prefer to send links to music of styles I think would fit a particular project, so just ask for it, and I'll fill Your HD with music/rubbish (I've heard it all :) )

Oh, I'm sorry for busting in and have a plug as my first post, but I just found this forum from others, and just couldn't resist :|

Best regards,
Rico
blue_dirt

Post by blue_dirt »

LuteLeigh & Grant, i liked the Happy Hour, and Long Road Home
TommyPollock

Post by TommyPollock »

How do you learn to compose? It's just Im really interested as it is something I would love to get involved in. I have a keyboard and am roughly grade 5 standard, and like to make little tunes, but can rarely get anything out much good, especially not in the genres I would like (film accompainment or rock). I posses all the musical trimmings with things like Cakewalk Home Studio 2002 and Band-In-A-Box on my PC, and a private music teacher with access to a huge amount of tools that I could use. I would love to start composing film scores, but don't have a clue where to start. Are there tutorials available? How did you guys learn?
Rico

Post by Rico »

The simple answer is to practise, practise and practise more. As with everything, I guess... :)

Listen to film scores and try to hear what other composers do that works. Watch movies and see what music fits and why. Is the composer doing anything "special" for a particular scene?

Film music can be alot of things. It usually makes use of orchestral arrangements, but there are (lots of) exceptions. There is no specific genre for film music, I'd say, since You can have jazzy cues, classical cues, baroque themes, techno, a mix of all these, and what not as a score. It really is up to the movie, the director and the composer what will work in the end.

This said, there are books on scoring for movies, but they (IMHO) rarely deal with how to compose, but rather techniques for compoisng for movie (i.e. synching to motion pictures, dealing with directors and such stuff). A nice one is Jeff Rona's "The Reel World" - also see his site http://www.jeffrona.com/ for additional information (quite a lot of articles on line)...

Regards,
Rico