Bullet Sounds

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Bullet Sounds

Post by slimdog55 »

I need some sound effects of bullet impacts. I already got some ricochets. I could use some bullet fly bys. I would also like shell casings hitting the ground. It would be nice if they were high quality.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

RE: Bullet Sounds

Post by Matt »

Have a look at the shell_case.wav file in the Sound Effects Library (under weapons). That is quite a cool sound.
slimdog55
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by slimdog55 »

I got the gun_shell_drop.wav. I don't like the shell_case.wav sound. I agree it sounds cool, but it sounds like ice cubes being dropped in a glass.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

Thinking about it I suppose it does :) In fact that is probably what the sound was!
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

What about buying some shells from a hunting store and then record the sound of them hitting whatever surface that is in the video footage.
LucII

Post by LucII »

For the shells, find a gun range and bring a bucket and a shovel..
Superheroes and evil twins go together like peanut butter and......evil peanut butter!
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

Luc idea is the besst. You can't screw up there. But I woud recommend turning the volume down on the mic. Heard rumors you can fry the circuit.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You can't fry a mic, but you can get the levels too high and ruin the recording.

Don't be lame and BUY casings... nor would I even bring a shovel. Just collect up all the piles of spent casings from the floor of ranges! Besides the few that wish to keep them, there are plenty of shooters willing for someone to take them away!
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

I was just going by what Robert Rodreguez said in his book and also what an ex-cop turned video maker told me as well.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Haha yeah. You can get thousands of casing free if you know where to get em.
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

Maybe not all of them. Some of the bigger casings are pretty costy, so people collect them for reloading.

There's a trick: take a few small(!) coins and drop them on a stone-ish floor. Then take the record and pitch-transpose them to half or quarter the frequence. You can also simply save a 44.1 kHz Wav as a 22kHz wav, so it will be played at half speed.

You won't save a lot of money this way, but you can save some time and troubles. Then again, when you are making a shooting scene, you maybe better get some good requisites anyway, including casings.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

The problem is a casing gives a hollow ring, while a coin is solid. But it might be worth trying out for the thrill of it! :D
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

somewhere i got a Ghost Recon demo for the computer. I think the game has a folder
with awesome sound fx, bullet hits, whizzes etc.
The Illuminated | The Matrix Revalations
-Production | Pre-production
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Yeah, lots of games have sounds. Besiding the copyright laws, it gets boring after a while to take somebody else's sounds when you can try to make you own. :D
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

Indeed. Try to make your own stuff whereever possible. Or at least use royalty free content.

BTW yes using coins will result in a much brighter sound. That's why I suggested to pitchtranspose them to lower frequencies. A lot of software can do it, including the free Goldwave (well, fully working trialware).
To make it sound natural you will have to use a set of random frequencies. Because every case sounds individual, depending on the way it hits the ground, including hitting other casings.

since the bottom of the casing is kind of solid, the casing sounds pretty much like a coin anyway, especially with medium sized pistol ammo. Only small calibers like 22rl don't have a solid bottom. One may think it must sound like a hollow piece of metal: "Plong" (as heard in a lot of movies), but it rarely does. Actually it sounds like "pling", even up to 30-06 rifle ammo.

Of course, the ground material also matters. Don't use it on carpet or lawn at all :)

But basicly the sound of casings isn't very significant, compared to the noise of all other things going on in a shooting scene.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I do not think coins sound like casings at all. The casing produces a multipitch tone because of its construction. The coin is very simple, in contrast. It is mostly hollow and rings more distinctly.

And they do sound like hollow metal :lol:
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

I thought so too, so I took a dozen casings (I got a collection, trying to get one of every caliber) and started recording, but then I realized they really sound like coins, so I stoped the recording session since it wasn't worth the effort :P
I fact I bet you would not recognize what's a coin and what's a casing (well, you could guess).
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

Ok, here we go. I recorded 18 WAVs, about the half of them are coins. I used the following swiss coins:
20 cents
2 francs
5 francs

casings:
9mm para
45ACP
44 Magnum
7.5*55 (is about the same as .308 winchester rifle ammo)

The files are named 1.wav to 18.wav, mixed randomly :)

Now please tell me what is what (please don't use visualisation tools, only use your ears)

If you get less than 50% right, you'll owe me a beer or something. I will soon post a list of all sounds and what was used to redord them.

BTW. sorry for the bad sound, the conditions where not right, I had no concrete floor for the recordings (quick job between two cups of coffee). Probably I'll record them again, with a better floor and hall type (bathroom?). Anyway, feel free to use them.

Here's the file: http://www.melog.ch/dl/ammo_casing_wavs.zip (747kB)
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

Uh, seems this wasn't seen.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You are right. It wasn't. And you are triple posting!!! :shock:
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

But I have started a topic only once. So please, pardon :..O
Sebas

Post by Sebas »

The best site for bullet sounds is www.sounddogs.com they have Guns....lots of guns :) you have like all different kinds of weapons and you can choose the amount of shots and all that kind of stuff. i really recommend it to all filmmakers that need bullit sounds :!:
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

yes, sounddogs is good, but also costy, and the page even incompatible with some browsers (eg opera). They have some very nice classical soundtracks. Only problem is they're not fully royalty free. Read the License: if you want to use it commercially for broadcasting, you need to contact them etc.
Almondo99
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Almondo99 »

yes, sounddogs is good, but also costy,
Can't you preview the sound before you buy it?
AsoBit

Post by AsoBit »

A lot of games have great sounds that you can use, as long as they aren't specially compressed. Games like Half-Life and its many mods have spectacular sounds.