16 or 14 Bit Sound?

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

16 or 14 Bit Sound?

Post by UFProductions »

This hardly seems worthy of starting a new topic, but what the hell. Am I correct in assuming that recording in 16 bit sound is better than recording in 14 bit sound? Seems logical, but I can never be sure. Silly really, the first person to respond here will know, oh well, a two post topic won't really hurt will it?
U.S.Amateurfilmaker
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RE: 16 or 14 Bit Sound?

Post by U.S.Amateurfilmaker »

yeah, 16 bit is better, and 24 bit is starting to come into the mainstream too.
CEO
Dimension 9 Studios
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Thought so, thanks. Which cameras have 24 bit?
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
Matt
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Matt »

16 bit is CD quality. It gives you sound with 65536 (2 power of 16) individual levels or steps of resolution. 14 bit gives you 16384 (2 power of 14). So the more bits the better. Although I am not convinced you (as a human being) would really notice 24 bit. It probably helps in editing I suppose because you would lose less detail if you manipulated the raw recording.
Haydn

Post by Haydn »

Good Point Matt.

Same applies with sample rates, CD quality is 44,100 Hz. But professional recording equipment can record up to 192,000 Hz.

Technically any sample rate higher than 40,000 Hz will not give any audible improvement (to human ears)
But Ive always wondered if higher sample rates make it easier to edit and especially slow down audio and get decent results, logically I think it should... but Ive never heard anyone say it does.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Re: RE: 16 or 14 Bit Sound?

Post by Epsilon »

UFProductions wrote:Thought so, thanks. Which cameras have 24 bit?
None as far as I know of. Many give the option of 12 or 16 bit! :D

Whenever we record ensembles professionally, we go both 16 bit straight to CD and 24 bit 2-12 channels to computer. The CD allows practically instant playback or demo to the director or for review. The computer data is saved for later mixing and the wide dynamic range allows for an amazingly clear sound. However, it takes up many gigabytes. Then we compress it to 16 bit for CD production after editing and signal processing.
Haydn wrote:But Ive always wondered if higher sample rates make it easier to edit and especially slow down audio and get decent results, logically I think it should... but Ive never heard anyone say it does.
Theoretically, it is easier. But unless you are trying to fix the individual waves, it's not really necessary! You should record a higher sample rate if you are going to slow down the recording for the final output. Slowing 44k Hz still sounds good! There is no practical need to slow a professional recording unless you are going to tweak and screw it all up! But even within editing, it's mostly visual these days, check out Abode Audition. Just point and click!
edinc90

RE: Re: RE: 16 or 14 Bit Sound?

Post by edinc90 »

The only reason you would want 14 bit is if you used your camera for audio dubbing. If you record in 16 bit you can only have 2 audio tracks (left and right). But if you record in 14 bit you can fit 4 audio tracks (left and right camcorder and left and right dub) onto a tape. For NLE's 16 bit is the best, and some DVD burning applications (iDVD 3) have trouble with 14 bit audio, and it might get out of sync.
My website: www.edcarlson.tk