sound recording.

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

sound recording.

Post by crb »

This isn't exactly about sounds effects but more about sound recording. I had microphone problems during production. So at the end I ended up using a tape recorder to record the sound with the camera recording the video. I was running a mic into it until it died. So a few of the scenes were recorded with just the recorder. Now the problem is that you can here this humming sound in the background of the tape rolling. I was told in the edit I can isolate that sound and remove it. Does this make sense?
Grant

RE: sound recording.

Post by Grant »

i normally in this case edit in some subtle background sound and it usually masks the problem quite well
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

would I be able to lower the sound of the tape recorder hum so it is less obvious. Some scenes like my car driving scene or what not I can add sounds of the engine running. But this one scene it is inside at night and I was planning on little sound at all.
Haydn

Post by Haydn »

Is the hum caused by the actual motion of the tape machine ?
or is it electrical hum from the mains ?

if its electrical from the mains - it may be possible to filter or EQ out the hum. If youre in America i think the frequency to filter out would be 60hz (is that the mains freq in the US ? i may be wrong) and also a few multiples of 60hz - 120, 240, 480.
There is software by a company called Waves that does this automatically - called 'X Hum' - but unfortunately its very expensive.
If you had audio software with an EQ or filter feature you could try to do it manually.

If its mechanical noise from the moving parts of the tape machine then try to identify where the sound is occuring in the frequency spectrum ( ie: is it low pitch or high pitch) and experiment with EQ to try and minimise it.

There is noise removal software that will try to analyse a sound and then remove it from your recording, but you would need to have a short section of the offending sound in isolation so the software can learn the sound you want it to remove. the only example of this type of software I know is Wave X-Noise and again, its expensive.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Adobe Audition will let you isolate a segment of the audio track which has just the noise, create a custom noise filter from that segment, and then apply it to the whole wav - works very well and simple to do, there is a tutorial on this on www.wrigleyvideo.com
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

yeah I thought that Audition probably did that. I know that someone who offered to edit on Avid for me originally said he had software to remove sounds like cars driving by, etc. So I figured Adobe had something similiar.