JVC Microphone

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

knightshay

JVC Microphone

Post by knightshay »

I got this mic for Christmas called the JVC MZV-3U. My camcorder is a JVC GR-DV500. I put the mic in the slot and turned it on. I just made a new film and could not tell the difference between the camcorder with a mic on and without. Is this normal? It really p*** me off. Do you guys know if I'm supposed to do something to set it up or is it just a piece of cr**.

BTY - It's a stereo zoom mic.

Any suggestions will help.
videoman7790

RE: JVC Microphone

Post by videoman7790 »

its cr**. i did the same thing. all i got was loud handling noises. cant help you there unless you want to purchase a wireless laveleir mic system. those work well outside.
hey does anyone have any video stuff they dont want anymore? ill take it for free. email me at

homestarfreak13@hotmail.com
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: JVC Microphone

Post by UFProductions »

The only thing I can ask is in what manner did you use it? Was it just slapped into the camera shoe, or did you use a boom to suspend it over the source? That would probably give you better results.
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
knightshay

Post by knightshay »

Do you know if I can return it? I got it on Amazon so i think I should be able to. I might just get my money back, save up a little more, and get a more sophisticated model (like one of those Stennheisers).

I did use it on top of the camcorder, not on a boom. But can you put it on a boom? I'm new to the mic thing so sorry if I sound kind of dumb.
Raptor
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Raptor »

Any mic mounted to the shoe wil get movement noise until you practice, practice practice. Are you monitoring the audio with phones? Good audio is the toughest part to get right. When we are shooting for the TV show, I can set the camera up for the video in about 60 seconds, the audio however takes several minutes, and needs to be retuned everytime we do a new setup. If your cam doesn't provide some way to set levels, then you may want to look into a mic mixer. Radio Shack sells one for like 40.00 USD that has four inputs and runs off a 9v battery, that will allow you to use up to four mics, and set the levels for each. The trick is to listen to what you are shooting, that's the only way to get the sound you want. Just using the external mic and not monitoring, teaking the audio will get you about the same thing you get with the on camera mic....
The UNDERGROUND
[url]http://theundergroundtv.com[/url]
Music television for unsigned bands
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

I don't think a stereo mic is the best kind either... audio should be more directional. Especially with it mounted on a camera, it will pick up a lot more than you want.