Silenced gun shots?

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

You can get a spring pistol for 20$..
Sigs suck a**.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

You can get them for $10 on sale at many sports shops. Paintball oriented stores are usually expensive.
UFProductions
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by UFProductions »

Not in Canada, where the real firearms can be bought at Canadian Tire (A giant sporting goods chain) for under $100, or a really good BB gun for $50. But God forbid we should be able to shoot small plastic pellets at non-lethal speeds. That would just be far too dangerous, someone could take out an eye!
Losing consciousness,
in the arms of an angel,
I find only peace.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Thats all good, but why do we need a real firearm ?
Sigs suck a**.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

That's not the point; they look real enough that some idiot would take one and rob a convenience store, which happens all the time over here. I remember an 8 year old robbed a gas station with this 20 dollar beretta he got from Wal Mart. Either that or a cop'll shoot you. No offense, but most people on this site are too stupid to comprehend that police officers will shoot your a** if you're retarded enough to be waving one of those things in public. And sadly enough, a lot of people are.
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Ok.
Sigs suck a**.
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

One of the main public places I film is at City Hall or around there, and the police station is right beside, I ain't takin' a gun out there.
[img]http://f5.putfile.com/6/16618192897.jpg[/img]
got lazy on the siggy...
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Dont take the guns in public
Sigs suck a**.
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

duh
got lazy on the siggy...
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah, if you are planning on doing so, contact the local enforcers ( the cops )
Sigs suck a**.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

and everyone in the area, if it's legal to carry a conceled weapon.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

You know, I never thought of that, hmm.
got lazy on the siggy...
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah. You CAN MABYE get away with using a gun in public if both the cops and people know, you would probably need to get a permit to film and close down the area for a bit while filming so nobody comes and says HES GOT A GUN!!!
Sigs suck a**.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Thanks Syras!! I was planning to just go buy a new airsoft gun that came with a silencer but now that I've got some plans to make one I'll go ahead and do that. I know I could easily just buy one but I'm the kind of person who has too much free time, normally I pass that time by building things!
Syras
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Syras »

not a problem. i built 2 of them for those boondock saints moments :P
POTUS

Silencer

Post by POTUS »

Hey, here's an alternate approach to a silencer I came up with, maybe not as good as the other, but what the hell, I thought I'd share.

Anyway, last spring for our film "Our Man, the Hungarian" we had a bridge fight scene between our CIA protagonist and the KGB pretender (classic plot twist for anyone who's seen "The Spy Who Came In From the Cold") But back on topic, so we needed a silencer. So I took a metal cigar tube, hacked off the round edge and replaced it with the cap from the other end of the tube....then I punched a whole through that. Volia, spray paint the whole thing black and it took about 15 minutes in the basement.

I'll see if I can muster up a pic later.

http://www.microminutes.com/pp
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

I've got a really really really simple design for a silencer for a Jeike 45 airsoft gun.

1.Get a strip of sand paper.
2.Wrap the sand paper around a permanent marker that's just small enough at the end of it, that it can fit into the barrel slightly.
3.Hold sand paper tight and twist back and forth, sanding down the inside of the barrel just enough for...
4. Get a regular roll of film and fit it in the barrel, if it doesn't fit, sand the inside of the barrel alittle more till it does fit.
5.But of course spraypaint the film roll whatever color ya want.

This does work for me, I'll have to try it with some of my other props too. SOmebody try this and let me know how it turned out.
got lazy on the siggy...
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

2nd_Recon wrote:and everyone in the area, if it's legal to carry a conceled weapon.
That it is...

with a firearm permit for the specific weapon, which can be administered at any local guns shop after a background check plus waiting period which you can get legally at the age of 21.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Earlier was mentioned how silencers really make a clicking noise, THE BOURNE IDENTITY used it also. I'd rather use those sound effects than the typical James Bond silencer sound effect just because its cooler to be more realistic.
mercenary123
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by mercenary123 »

same here
got lazy on the siggy...
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

I have an old analog capture card. Could I somehow hook my Gamecube up to a VCR and then the VCR into the card and capture some sound effects off games like MOH or Splinter Cell? Help would be nice, I too need some clicking silenced gunshots.
2nd_Recon
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by 2nd_Recon »

A real silenced weapon will make a sound similar to the treble of a regular gunshot, only (Obviously) much silenter. Something that sounds like sry leaves rustling. Unless it is the REALLY good silencers, wherin the sound you hear is actually the action of the gun working.
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

You don't need a parachute to go skydiving. You only need a parachute to go skydiving twice.
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

Ok hook up your PS2 to your pc via USB and hire an old game like 'Tomorow Never Dies' or even something like 'Specops' and go to the main menu, then go to options, and soud, there you can listen to each game track, be it music of sounds, then copy them to the pc and there you have it. Many games can be useful for both music and fx, its like a whole library of sounds, I use it all the time.
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'
jcdenton
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by jcdenton »

With a silencer attached to your gun, the sound of the impact of the bullet on the target will be the most and only dominant noise. Forget about those movie sliencer sounds, like swosh, swoap! that's unrealistic cr**. Take a wooden stick and hit the leather sofa, that's the sound of a silenced bullet on a human body. There's a _lot_ of noise, especially whent the bullet hits wood, metal, plastic, glass etc. Imagine a fullauto gun in a room will sound like an earthquake.

The HK MP5SD isn't fully silenced, especially because the silencer is in fact too small, and also to prevent cycling-jam due to altered pressure trough a silencer.

Also most silncers in movies are too small, unrealistic. The original silencer for the 9mm mac11 was of about 0.75 liter size.

Guns with a bullet velocity higher than the speed of sound (aka supersonic and hypersonic) may not use a silencer since it won't work. supersonic speeds create a ballistic crack that cannot be slienced. Therefore silenced ammo must be subsonic. Usually pistols are subsonic, around 300m/s, Rifles are supersonic, tho small calibers like 22LR may still be subsonic in rifles.

Sometimes silencers are used with supersonic arms nevertheless, simply to hide the origin of the shooter. You hear the Gun, but you don't know where it is, like a jet that accelerates to the speed of sound (mach 1) - boom, all arround.

There is some subsonic ammo in 223Rem, so you may use it in Guns like AR15. Bigger bullets usually are too fast for silencers. 50BMG may be up to 3 times the speed of sound (that is around 330m/s)
Revolvers cannot be silenced since their chambers don't isolate the pressure like a pistol.

Here's some info about silecers:
http://guns.connect.fi/rs/Reflex.html
Although this is only about "dry" silencer.
Theshapecool
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Theshapecool »

Its Alot easyer to use the FX from a game, they are actualy recordings of real guns sounds so they are as accurate as you can get. most films dont take them off properly.
Sledge Films Ltd, 'Independent film making since 2003'

www.RussDiaper.com

'This House is sacred to him, he has all his memories here, HIS RAGE!'