Does a composition program like this exist?

All aspects of sound and sound editing including MP3.

Moderators: Admin, Moderator Team

Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Does a composition program like this exist?

Post by Vamp »

Are there any virtual ochestra programs available? Where writing in either tab or notation format, you can use sounds of guitars, drums, violins, bass, cellos etc to create scores?

Something that sounds good as well...

Anything?
www.neverdead.co.nr
Luteleigh

Post by Luteleigh »

Don't know exactly what you mean, but Reason by Propellerhead is like a virtual orchestra sort of thing. And the instruments sound incredible! It'd have to, it comes on two CD's.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

There most definately are such programs. I can't of any at the moment, but if they come to mind, I'll post some names of them. John williams and all those other big time composers and orchestrators use hardware and software exactly as you are saying for that reason. Don't expect great hardware to come cheap though.

I get back to you on that.
Rico

Post by Rico »

Sibelius and Overture are two programs for notation... I bought Garritan Personal Orchestra (a complete Orchestra with Kontakt sampleplayer) and it includes an LE version of Overture. I haven't tried it out though.

They usually (AFAIK) use the built in MIDI sounds of Your soundcard or can use Virtual instruments such as sampleplayers.

You can also use other programs such as Cubase and Cakewalk which also have notation capabilities, but are more used as sequencers. They do not usually come with many soundgenerators though...

From what I hear, you usually use a combination of these, so that You (if Your skilled at notation) use such a program for creating a base MIDI-file and then move on to a sequencer like Cubase for touching up the result, and mixing and such...

The integrated software studios (Reason, FLStudio, etc.) typically don't support notation, but rather the sequencer method of making music is used...

Regards,
Rico
stickmurder30

re...

Post by stickmurder30 »

I know a good software ( freeware ) for creating music , its called "fruity loops" but i don't know what is a "tab" so this software may not be what you're lookin' for.
TommyPollock

Post by TommyPollock »

Tab is short for Tabular (sp?), and is guitar notation. Cakewalk can convert and use both forms of notation, along with many variations of base and treble cleffs, so I would assume that any basic MIDI program would also be able to do tab.
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

tabalature...
www.neverdead.co.nr
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Hey i have fruity loops! Never knew it could make songs LOL i always thought it was for small tehcno loop things, shows how much i suck at making music :P
Rico

Post by Rico »

FLStudio is what FruityLoops is called nowdays... I use FLStudio all the time, and it is NOT freeware... Though the demo can be downloaded and used, You can't save Your work with it, just export it as wav or mp3. And it doesn't use notation or tabulature, "only" pattern based or piano-roll based...

If I remember correct, Anvil Studio is a free sequencer that supports both piano-roll and notation based composing. It didn't have built in support for virtual synths when I used it a couple of years ago, "only" MIDI (i.e. the sounds on Your soundcard, external hardware or some software MIDI interface to standalone virtual synths)...

Regards,
Rico
Scores for Your movie
[url]http://www.fredrikblom.com[/url]
I3lade203
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by I3lade203 »

Yeah i know, my music teacher from school gave me Fruity loops although i suck with it , i dont know what insturments would go good to make a song , im just not good with music :P
Sigs suck a**.
Vamp
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Vamp »

What's piano roll?
www.neverdead.co.nr
Rico

Post by Rico »

The concept of a Piano-roll I guess comes from old automatic pianos, where You had a roll with a "line" for each key on the piano. Spikes on the roll indicated that a certain key should be "pressed". Sorry that I can't explain it better - my English is not good enough for that...
In a sequencer You have the keys on the left, and then You can mark when a key (or more) should be played, and for how long. You can also specify how "hard" the key is pressed (velocity), and other info about the note. http://www.truespec.com/images/computer ... noroll.jpg shows an image of a piano-roll from some sequencer (just did a quick search on Google images for "piano-roll")

Regards,
Rico
crb
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by crb »

What about using Finale?
Haydn

Post by Haydn »

There are a few (relatively) cheap sampled orchestras which are easy to use.

The two most popular;

Garritan Personal Orchestra - http://www.garritan.com/GPO.html

East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Silver Edition - http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/det ... sku=EW-161

They work with Midi, play them a midi file (eg. using a software sequencer) and assign the instruments to different parts.
GPO can play directly from notation in Finale (i think you even get finale free with it) but i do not know if EWQLSOSE does.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about this.
Epsilon
Forum Master
Forum Master

Post by Epsilon »

Haydn wrote:There are a few (relatively) cheap sampled orchestras which are easy to use.

The two most popular;

Garritan Personal Orchestra - http://www.garritan.com/GPO.html

East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Silver Edition - http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/det ... sku=EW-161

They work with Midi, play them a midi file (eg. using a software sequencer) and assign the instruments to different parts.
GPO can play directly from notation in Finale (i think you even get finale free with it) but i do not know if EWQLSOSE does.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about this.
What? No...

Finale is a composition program for notating music and orchestrating. This is a music library matching program. They are entirely different. These two programs apply orchestral sound recordings to a midi layout for a more realistic sound, but you Still need to create the midi in the first place!

They aren't going to include a $600 Finale program in for free.
Haydn

Post by Haydn »

What? what is a music library matching program?

I use GPO and EWQL both regularly and I recommend them both.

I was wrong about finale, its overture that comes free with GPO.