acting methods

Forum for the discussion of all aspects of directing and acting.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tecmeister

acting methods

Post by tecmeister »

Last night me and the cast was practicing acting. It was a kind of a game.

One person had to start off by spinning the bottle, the person that it landed on was given a voice to do and a scenario. We did that for a bit, it was funny.

we was still spinning the bottle but now the person that it landed on had to pick a partner to act with, and they was given a scenario.

It was fun, we all discovered different voices that we can do. It made us want to create more ideas in the movie, and we hope to do it more.
angusware
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

RE: acting methods

Post by angusware »

were still spinning and what and why [are we being told this]?
tecmeister

Post by tecmeister »

I was just saying how me and the cast are practicing acting.

And any other people might want to try it.
Is it that hard to understand?
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Moved to the 'acting' section of the forum, you goose.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
tecmeister

Post by tecmeister »

Thanks
youngfilmmaker
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by youngfilmmaker »

Interesting techinque.
www.freewebs.com/skyrocketstudios

The majority of Americans - the ones who never elected you - are not fooled by your weapons of mass distraction.
-Michael Moore
Knightly

Post by Knightly »

There are plenty of books on "acting excercises" or "acting games" with lots of different techniques like these to touch different parts of the acting experience. As an actor and director, I like to have actors "do" something while they are delivering their lines so they are not just delivering lines to the camera...chew gum, pick up a pencil to distract the other actor, flick it around annoyingly (no noise obviously)...stuff like that.
Low/No budget cinema that looks like a million Bucks!
---------------------------------------------------------
http://www.yafiunderground.com
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

I believe real acting is often about modifying yourself and building off of your own traits, even just as a human being. We all get the same start, and when it comes down to it, act very similar in the same situation. But you have attach chunks of the character to yourself and build someone who may have experienced things even just a little differently. It actually kind of bothers me some when people get too big into this "lose yourself, become your character" bullsh_t. Because lemme tell you, you'll never rid yourself and become someone else, even subconsciously the way you move is all YOU. You just have to build from yourself.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by maj_barnes »

It actually kind of bothers me some when people get too big into this "lose yourself, become your character" bullsh_t. Because lemme tell you, you'll never rid yourself and become someone else, even subconsciously the way you move is all YOU. You just have to build from yourself.
I could only think of this when you said that. :)
There's that famous, but likely apocryphal, story about Laurence Olivier and Dustin Hoffman when they were working together on Marathon Man. To prepare for a scene, Hoffman had gone for a few days without sleep and looked pretty rough. Olivier asked him why he was putting himself through such an ordeal and Hoffman replied that he was trying to be convincing in the role. Olivier replied, "Try acting dear boy".
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

I've heard several different versions of that story, but it's a good one!

But yeah, I don't really agree with what Mr Anderson says at all, because he seems to be talking about cr** actors. The best actors are the ones that appear to be very different people in everything they do. If you compare Johnny Depp in 'Fear and Loathing' to Johnny Depp in 'Sleepy Hollow' it's hard to put two and two together. Where as if you compare two Arnie movies, he doesn't really change much (I think he's great, but he's a terrible actor!)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
Mr.Anderson
Posting Freak
Posting Freak

Post by Mr.Anderson »

Maj Barnes, that made my day. lol.

You can still be a completely different character in completely different roles, its just that no one can truly become something else. You just have to be a realist. Acting with research is probably one of the better ways to go about it. There is nothing wrong with thinking like a character moving like them, but when actors are in bio-pics and they're wearing underwear of the actual person they are portraying and junk like that, I'm sorry, thats just too much. Besides, its only a psychological effect, and you can induce that yourself by just thinking differently.
"People can misinterpret almost anything so that it coincides with views they already hold. They take from art what they already believe."

-- Stanley Kubrick