Waiting...

Forum for the discussion of all aspects of directing and acting.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Waiting...

Post by Kentertainment »

I seem to have this problem quite often and that is, when I am directing I tend to get more upset on not how things are running, but on how people are acting (off screen). Actors and crewman will go off on their own little conversations when we are ready to roll, I begin to yell (attention yell...not angry) but they continue and the only effective thing to do is sit and wait until one of them looks to me and notices I'm waiting. At that moment, BAM! One of the actors says, "We should probably film." or even more rudely, asks me, "Are we ever going to film?"

Does anybody else have this happen to them? What do you do to prevent it?

I know I'm just a simple, amateur filmmaker and even though we aren't making professional quality films, I still think maintaining a professional set should be required regardless of your age.
maj_barnes
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

RE: Waiting...

Post by maj_barnes »

Happens to me alot, and it is the thing that p*** me off the most. I usually start yelling profanity laced orders, or not say a thing and walk up to them and tell them to be quiet or let's go. I remember one time I walked up to one of them and shot a blank next to them, not the smartest thing to do I admit, but it got them going. At times I'm alittle afraid I might p*** them off enough to just walk off: but that's the price I pay.

I think maybe in the future, before we get started filming, when I get everyone together and just tell them to shape up and shut the hell up when we're about to start rolling. Because, yea, it's probably the most annoying thing about filming.
KultFilmsEntertainment

Post by KultFilmsEntertainment »

I used to have this problem when working with close friends as cast and crew, because they just weren't motivated and would screw around all the time, but now that they've seen finished examples of our work they've gotten much more dedicated.

The problem comes when I bring other people I'm not so close with into the production. They (especially the females) just want to goof off, mess around with the props, etc., and when it's time to do their lines they keep forgetting them or messing them up, and then just giggle about it.

It's at times like these we must act ast true directors and unapologetically let our casts and crews know we are serious about making films and expect maturity and some dedication. Of course, folks might get ticked and leave the production, which could force reshoots and what-not, but in the end we will be better off without the screw-offs.
Kentertainment
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Kentertainment »

Yeah, I held a production meeting the day before we went out and shot and I stressed on this subject quite a bit. It actually helped a little bit with the film we are working on but I also think the equipment we are using has done some of the job as well. When you're using a DVX100B with and Arri Lightkit you'd better not be messing around.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

When I shot at school this happened quite frequently. What I did (which worked, thank God) was have a loud and influential/popular kid relay my orders. He was respected by everyone, and I could quickly tell him what I wanted, then work on setting up for the shot while he dealt with getting the actors ready.

So in that sense I worked as a cinematographer and let him deal with the people. I also had a teacher come to supervise, and she yelled quite often to keep them in line.

SO just get a friend who is loud and loyal to you to be sort of like your relation to the actors. You relay the orders to him, and then he can work with them while you focus on other stuff.
CREATE FOR THE SAKE OF CREATING

http://www.neighborhoodstudios.com
Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

the reason most fool around is because you are hanging with friends on a small shoot, i plan to anty up my shoot with all new lighting so i look wicked professional, so people know i mean business.. Luckily for me, most of my main Crew has been with me and they are very mature and know when im getting p*** off, so they do help
@Zacatac927

www.vimeo.com/zac927
ctbullet
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by ctbullet »

i don't think i've ever had this problem, when filming i go out to be professional but to also have fun with friends

as my team have been together a few years now and we're starting to get recognition as film-makers they know whats at steak and love it

if cast and crew members get too out of hand just yell and call them names, i've never had anyone walk off, usually because we're in a woods in the middle of no-where and i have the car keys!
Our Combat Years: In production
[img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a69/ct_bullet/wolfvisionpbanner2.jpg[/img]
http://wolfvisionp.tripod.com
tecmeister

Post by tecmeister »

I haven't had that problem, coz i have only just started lol. I hope that it does happen to me.
Because i have just started making films all of my cast seem to be ok and ready to go.

BUT if they have bin acting for a but do the cast tend to do that? If so how can i stop it?
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

you've just gotta keep 'em busy.

If you finish a shoot and go to setup for the next one, leaving the actors waiting, then they'll start fooling around, beacuse they have nothing else to do.

Make sure they stay on track.

Think of them as people with severe attention deficient disorders. Entertain them or you'll lose 'em

Zacatac927
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by Zacatac927 »

kene555 wrote:
Think of them as people with severe attention deficient disorders. Entertain them or you'll lose 'em
lol...
Ornsack

Post by Ornsack »

Used to happen a lot but thankfully we've become a bit more focused these days! The only guy who's a real pain is Dan (as our outtakes reveal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGutHyl7ATU & http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd5jKkS2SnQ)

But as he always says at the time, we'll look back and laugh. Was a bit of a pain when we had 48 hours to finish The Salesman though :)
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loFABl-1Zcw]THE SALESMAN - YouTube[/url]
Gyro
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Post by Gyro »

All you need is a 1AD to get everyone in line through lots and lots of yelling.
@seanbagley
tecmeister

Post by tecmeister »

I will do that then. Hope to keep the cast busy.
SgtPadrino
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by SgtPadrino »

Being a big guy ain't a bad thing either.

Luckily I've got the deep commanding voice down, so when I'm ready to get down to business, everyone knows it. So really I've never had too much of a problem with that. Yeah, I've had people goofing off and wasting time, but never for very long - a simple, authoritative, "Shut the f*** up and get to your goddamn spot" will usually suffice.
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

a simple, authoritative, "Shut the f*** up and get to your goddamn spot" will usually suffice.
lol.

rhys
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by rhys »

Just don't let them have conversations, or bring a bottle of mace or a police siren or something. Any of that would get them attention.
Hide or fight for your life?
kene555
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Post by kene555 »

bring a bottle of mace or a police siren
I could just see one of us as a director get mad when 2 actors are deep in a conversation and not paying attention to their cue. You'd sneak up behind them and blast them with the bullhorn or air horn.